post your konas!

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
post your konas!
Posted: Nov 22, 2014 at 15:29 Quote
Plans for my custom Kona Coiler with new frame front triangle. I was looking to modify my Coiler to new school geometry longer and lower and after comparing lots of brands with 160mm travel I found the Yeti SB66 one of the best 26 bikes ever made had similar geometry to my bike but also had the two features I needed to copy a longer front end and lower BB. The longer front would give me the room to use an inline seat post instead of a setback and get me more in the middle of the bike while seated. In the standing descending position the low BB and longer wheelbase would give me more stability and confidence. I put my ideas to my steel frame maker friend at Manufactured by Grelck. He took on the project and produced the new front end in 4130 CrMo. Final figures TT 23mm longer BB 15mm lower than the standard Kona Coiler Med 2007. We lowered the BB more than the Yeti. It s in line with the new crop of bikes with a BB at around 340mm such as the Santa Cruz Nomad GT Sanction Transition Patrol Orbea Rallon low setting etc.. I love the result - feels perfect.

Plans for my Coiler rebuild.
For a while now I've been looking to modify my bike to new school geometry (longer and lower) and after comparing lots of brands with 160mm travel I found the Yeti SB66 had similar geometry to my bike but also had the two features I needed to copy: a longer TT and lower BB. The longer front would give me the room to use an inline seat post instead of the set back and get me more in the middle of the bike when seated. In the standing/descending position the low BB and longer wheelbase would give me more stability and confidence.
I put my ideas to my steel frame maker friend at Manufactured by Grelck. He took up the project and produced the new front end in 4130 CrMo. Final figures are: TT 23mm longer / BB 15mm lower than the standard Coiler. We lowered the BB more than the Yeti. It's more in line with the current crop of bikes with a BB height of around 340mm such as the Santa Cruz Nomad, Orbea Rallon (low Setting), GT Sanction etc..
I love the result. Feels perfect.

Posted: Nov 22, 2014 at 15:51 Quote
Custom Kona Coiler 2014. New front triangle steel 4130 CrMo . TT 23mm longer BB 15mm lower.
My Kona Custom Coiler 2014.

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2014 at 16:26 Quote
rstwosix wrote:
Custom Kona Coiler 2014. New front triangle steel 4130 CrMo . TT 23mm longer BB 15mm lower.
My Kona Custom Coiler 2014.
super nice

Posted: Nov 22, 2014 at 16:37 Quote
Can't believe you spent the time and money........

But hey, it's a one off and it's yours.
Looks good Beer

Personally, I would have changed the colour, to make it more of a one off, but that's just me....

Posted: Nov 22, 2014 at 17:16 Quote
Canadian43 wrote:
Can't believe you spent the time and money........

But hey, it's a one off and it's yours.
Looks good Beer

Personally, I would have changed the colour, to make it more of a one off, but that's just me....

Thanks.
As for the time and money - I love tinkering and fine tuning and it cost way less than buying a new bike. I'm also a big fan of minimalist straight tube steel or aluminium frames - so I got exactly what I wanted. Much more satisfying than walking into a shop and saying, "I'll have that one in Medium - I don't really like those hydro formed bent tubes, and I don't like press fit BB etc.., but it'll do".

Yeah, it's a one off and it's mine and I love it!

Posted: Nov 22, 2014 at 17:23 Quote
your stoked and making me stoked. i wanted to do the same thing with my covert i cracked this last year. thanks for the inspiration!

Posted: Nov 22, 2014 at 17:29 Quote
You're welcome. Go for it!

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2014 at 17:53 Quote
dawg primo
was running a shorter shock in picture due to stock being blown.

Posted: Nov 25, 2014 at 10:57 Quote
my room mate has that exact same bike, down to the year and everything.

it is awesome

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024403
Mobile Version of Website