South Wales - Goldtec Trails AKA Van Road Trails or Jason's Trails - May be flattened

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
South Wales - Goldtec Trails AKA Van Road Trails or Jason's Trails - May be flattened
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 14, 2009 at 13:03 Quote
My first post on here, for a good cause.

There are plans, for the forrestry commision to flatten these awsome trails, details follow below. I'm sure there are some on here who have heard and even ridden them. Their located near a town called Caerphilly in South Wales. Created by Jason Carpenter of Dragon DH.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f213/TrialsLife/DSC_0012.jpgCraig Jones, Goldtec Trails.

Have a read

A quote from me, in another forum

"Hopefuly something can be sorted out soon.

The trails have been around for a long time now, I've been riding them for at least 6 years. The man most involved in the building of the trails is Jason Carpenter of Dragon Downhill. I belive the site was approved by the forestry commision around 3-4 years ago. After the approval the site was fenced off properly to prevent motorbikes getting up there. The site was also expanded at the same time, wether that was funded by Jason himself or by other means such as the council I'm not sure.

With what the forestry have requested, I think the biggest challenge is funding for the public liability insurance. Other than that the only other issues can be solved with man power, which I can help organise.

"we have no information on user numbers so it is difficult for us to justify such investment of public funds."

There is currently a petition being signed by users of the trails organised by a friend. I also have many photos of people using the trails.

"facilities must have good emergency access and procedures, but the Caerphilly jump spot was relatively isolated."

As pointed out by Ming, there is a main road that goes right past the trails. Not to mention the fire access road which leads up to the trails and also another track which leads directly onto the trails used by tractors for digging. The tractor trail would need minimal work to be made accessable for emergancy services.

"The "runs" within the jump area would also have to be graded and laid out so that users could not mistakenly expose themselves to more demanding jumps or obstacles than they intended."

This would also be quite easy, the origanal lines could be kept but the top end would need re organising to filter the riders to individual lines which would not cross over each other.

"Caerphilly Council provides many authorised facilities for jump cycles and BMX riding in areas throughout the county, and there is a skills section in Cwmcarn managed by FC Wales."

From that quote I get the feeling their trying to push the idea that the Caerphilly Jump Site is not "authorised". Seems as if they are suggesting other places people can go, when in reality theres very few places like the Van Road trails in South Wales.

Kyle. "

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 5:26 Quote
trialslife wrote:
My first post on here, for a good cause.

There are plans, for the forrestry commision to flatten these awsome trails, details follow below. I'm sure there are some on here who have heard and even ridden them. Their located near a town called Caerphilly in South Wales. Created by Jason Carpenter of Dragon DH.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f213/TrialsLife/DSC_0012.jpgCraig Jones, Goldtec Trails.

Have a read

A quote from me, in another forum

"Hopefuly something can be sorted out soon.

The trails have been around for a long time now, I've been riding them for at least 6 years. The man most involved in the building of the trails is Jason Carpenter of Dragon Downhill. I belive the site was approved by the forestry commision around 3-4 years ago. After the approval the site was fenced off properly to prevent motorbikes getting up there. The site was also expanded at the same time, wether that was funded by Jason himself or by other means such as the council I'm not sure.

With what the forestry have requested, I think the biggest challenge is funding for the public liability insurance. Other than that the only other issues can be solved with man power, which I can help organise.

"we have no information on user numbers so it is difficult for us to justify such investment of public funds."

There is currently a petition being signed by users of the trails organised by a friend. I also have many photos of people using the trails.

"facilities must have good emergency access and procedures, but the Caerphilly jump spot was relatively isolated."

As pointed out by Ming, there is a main road that goes right past the trails. Not to mention the fire access road which leads up to the trails and also another track which leads directly onto the trails used by tractors for digging. The tractor trail would need minimal work to be made accessable for emergancy services.

"The "runs" within the jump area would also have to be graded and laid out so that users could not mistakenly expose themselves to more demanding jumps or obstacles than they intended."

This would also be quite easy, the origanal lines could be kept but the top end would need re organising to filter the riders to individual lines which would not cross over each other.

"Caerphilly Council provides many authorised facilities for jump cycles and BMX riding in areas throughout the county, and there is a skills section in Cwmcarn managed by FC Wales."

From that quote I get the feeling their trying to push the idea that the Caerphilly Jump Site is not "authorised". Seems as if they are suggesting other places people can go, when in reality theres very few places like the Van Road trails in South Wales.

Kyle. "

the rumour i heard long ago is that they wanted to turn it into more of a track than trails.
i stopped riding there about a year ago anyway because its too much work maintening them as no-one else ever helps us dig, even though they ride all the time.

still will be a shame if they flatten them for everyone else who rides there.

the trails have been there long before they were "authorised" anyway, Jason built these years ago, then me and Stuart changed them all and built the hip line and step ups when we knew the forrestry commission was supporting us (well when we knew they would't knock them down). the forrestry commisssion have had no input with anything we have built, as far as i can tell all they have done is put a fence around it, and dont see why they would flattern them, cant they just dis-assosciate themselves from them?

Posted: Apr 22, 2009 at 3:45 Quote
i got told that by a boy called kyle that he is trying to get ownership of it

Posted: Apr 29, 2009 at 14:47 Quote
I am Kyle. I won't be taking ownership of it though. Just helping out thats all.

I think I remember you and Stuart up the trails, I regognise you in your display pic. I try to do work up there when I can, to be honest I've only started riding trails alot recently, I normaly ride TRIALS. Theres a few old faces popping up the trails now, who have been doing bits and bobs to the lips and landings making them a bit fresher.

Things are going alright so far, if you've got facebook take a look here http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=158370075091

Theres even mention of expanding the place now, fingers crossed it will all work out.

Posted: May 3, 2009 at 11:51 Quote
Ive Heard that i guy from gamestation or somewer has bought the land cos hes a biker, im not sure thow, i hope he have Smile

Posted: May 8, 2011 at 15:05 Quote
burky169 wrote:
Ive Heard that i guy from gamestation or somewer has bought the land cos hes a biker, im not sure thow, i hope he have Smile

The forestry commision are not in the habit of selling off land, so thats bullshit I'm afraid.

Posted: May 15, 2011 at 5:21 Quote
i doubt someone working in gamestation could afford to buy the land without winning the lottery or something as land aint cheap lol

Posted: May 17, 2011 at 4:01 Quote
Ive quite recently moved to Cardiff, and haven't rode here yet, but would like to get the chance to, so if there's a petition where do i sign? how do i get to these trails? Would also be willing to help out on any dig days. cheers

Posted: May 17, 2011 at 7:51 Quote
this thead is ages old,
from what i heard there is funding for these to get built up as they were flattened,
just a dispiute over who owns the land n stuff then its all go apparently

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013194
Mobile Version of Website