Dual Crown Forks on hardtail frame? is that really bad?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Dual Crown Forks on hardtail frame? is that really bad?
Posted: Jan 2, 2010 at 5:18 Quote
marquis wrote:
webber123 wrote:
marquis wrote:

Dual crowns stress the frame more as they are pulling above and below the head tube,a single crown would flex more thus creating less stress,contrary to popular believe not all bikes can run dual crown forks.

I disagree, a single crown puts much more stress in one area where as a DC will distribute the strain much more letting the frame absorb it through both down tube and top tube. In answer to how it feels with 100mm forks fine, i dont feel as if the geo is messed up or any such to that effect. Currently running pikes 95-140mm and it feel great at all heights. If you feel the need to run DC then by all means go for it if the frame can take it.

A single crown fork creates less stress than a dual crown fork,hence why frames that are covered under warranty for single crown use are not covered for dual crown fork use.

with dual crown you are extending the leverage ratio of the fork.

Im not going to argue the point as i will not pretend to have any great knowledge of the subject. But in answer to the thread started use a DC by all means on a hardtail if you know the frame can take it.

Posted: Jan 2, 2010 at 5:39 Quote
what frame could take upto 170/180mm single crown forks, other than banshee morphine and evil imperial.

Posted: Jan 2, 2010 at 5:42 Quote
stomper wrote:
what frame could take upto 170/180mm single crown forks, other than banshee morphine and evil imperial.
giant mtx

Posted: Jan 2, 2010 at 5:46 Quote
this is my buddys bike... ran it on a few dh tracks... set-ups been this way for over a year... its an old da bomb xlr8 frame... https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3401729/

Posted: Jan 2, 2010 at 15:00 Quote
stomper wrote:

NS bitch my friend ran 180mm 66s on his without a problem.

Posted: Jan 6, 2010 at 19:27 Quote
I've already said this on this site a few times but did you know that a 180 66 has the same ATC as a 200mm 888 from the same year? If your going to say that using a 888 makes it ride like a chopper but a 66 is ok then you need to do your homework.

Also, everyone says that it "wrecks" the geometry by putting on a fork with a long ATC. Maybe the longer wheelbase is desired and it make the owner happy. Then it doesn't wreck anything now does it!

Posted: Jan 6, 2010 at 21:38 Quote
nothingbetter wrote:
I've already said this on this site a few times but did you know that a 180 66 has the same ATC as a 200mm 888 from the same year? If your going to say that using a 888 makes it ride like a chopper but a 66 is ok then you need to do your homework.
Words of wisdom right there. Most suckers think a 66 or a totem is fine but anything with longer legs is sacrilege. My Drop off triples measured on 200mm stantion length (even though they were only 170mm travel), but if I put a 40 or a boxxer on there (about the same ATC ah reckon) I'd be darned to heck.

Haters!

Posted: Jan 7, 2010 at 4:21 Quote
freeriderayward wrote:
nothingbetter wrote:
Words of wisdom right there. Most suckers think a 66 or a totem is fine but anything with longer legs is sacrilege. My Drop off triples measured on 200mm stantion length (even though they were only 170mm travel), but if I put a 40 or a boxxer on there (about the same ATC ah reckon) I'd be darned to heck.

Haters!

Not hate at all,single crown forks have more natural flex than a dual crown,so yes even though the bike can take a 66 it doesn't always mean it is able to take a dual crown fork.

If in doubt check the warranty out.

Posted: Jan 10, 2010 at 2:21 Quote
i think its not really bad, as long as you lower the stanchions about adleast 30 mm under the conditions that its a 200mm fork.
i think its manitou who makes the singl crown 200mm. how could that be much worse?
under my opinion the more travel to certain headtube angle, the worse.
after going to the effort of lowering the forks. you might aswell sell them, and buy a proper, lighter single crown.

Posted: Jan 10, 2010 at 9:08 Quote
[Quote="marquis Not hate at all,single crown forks have more natural flex than a dual crown,so yes even though the bike can take a 66 it doesn't always mean it is able to take a dual crown fork.

If in doubt check the warranty out.[/Quote]

Thanks for tossing that into the equation. I never even thought about flex!

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 at 14:53 Quote
HELP ME PLEASE! i got TOO a DaBomb Molotov (set to handlle 80-120mm fork) can a install a dublecrown MZ juniorT 2001 (150mm)? i don`t do extreme jumps or tricks. and i often ask myself: wtf? 30mm is that much?!? is like running whit flat tire (if you got beafi anvelops) And.... jumping and landing BAD will alsow stress the frame( you can have the perfect fork on perfect frame,NO?) scuze my english....10X

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 at 15:10 Quote
no. the frame is rated to 120. which means anything over that may break the frame. so no

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 at 17:17 Quote
i wanna see some hardtails with Fox 40's!!! post one for me!

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 at 21:36 Quote
dmanj wrote:
photo
JEAH!!!!! DUDE THATS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012564
Mobile Version of Website