Video and Filming Tips

PB Forum :: Biking Videos
Video and Filming Tips
Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Apr 23, 2009 at 22:57 Quote
Hey, this thread is for vetran filmers to share tips, new people to ask questions, and for everyone to post their newest work. I'll start:
Tips:
Look for cool angles that you don't have to move camera to get it all in
USE A TRIPOD!!
Scenery is always cool for mountain bike films
Make the video fit the music
Get some wide angle lenses, you can find them cheap on eBay Big Grin


Question:
When some one says a video is "hard to watch" wat does it mean?

Posted: Apr 25, 2009 at 1:27 Quote
Good tips, should realy help a lot of people on here.

I think "hard to watch" means that the quality is really bad and you have to really concentrate to see anything properly, or when the footage moves really fast or is really shaky and people get dizzy.

Posted: Apr 25, 2009 at 8:11 Quote
Cmontjumper wrote:
Get some wide angle lenses, you can find them cheap on eBay Big Grin


Question:
When some one says a video is "hard to watch" wat does it mean?


Sorry, gotta disagree with you on that one. Cheap eBay wide angle lenses have some of the worst quality glass and coating you can find. Very occasionally you will get lucky and find one thats clean and looks passable, but, in all honesty, I would rather put a pair of cheap gas station sunglasses in front of my lens then one of those "HD wide angles" that you find on ebay. Stick with brands like 16x9 or Cavision or Century Precision Optics. yeah, you pay more but you'll be able to see what your filming. This is especially true with HD.
Other then that though you nailed it, good pointers.

A "hard to watch" video is, in my mind, one that doesnt flow, is overly shaky or bad camera movements, has speed metal or death metal as the soundtrack (although in some cases that can work), has sloppy editing or is just "cut and pasted" together... theres alot of them on pinkbike.


Heres some tips:

1. Find your song BEFORE you start shooting and listen to it over and over; get to know it and visualize how the video will flow with it.
2. Avoid cliched angles/moves. Nobody wants to see another constant wide angle handheald from eye level at the side of the track. Sure, that shot has its place, but dont be afraid to play around. Unless your shooting film (in which case you probably arent here for advise), you've got plenty of cheap media available to shoot on; use it.
3. Use a GOOD tripod. This is my biggest pet peeve. Way too many times have I seen great shots ruined because the guy with the camera thought he could hold the camera steady enough. Get a tripod and practice with it. THAT BEING SAID, dont cheap out and buy a 20 dollar piece of sh*t, and definetly dont use that one that came in your "video camera kit" from eBay. The lowest I would suggest is the Bogen/Manfroto DV501HDV. And dont skimp out on legs to get a good head. You could have the highest end miller/cartoni (anybody wanna correct my spelling on that?) but it would do you jack sh*t if you had crummy legs.
4. Avoid using auto exposure, auto focus and auto shutter whenever possible. Yeah, you have to do it all yourself but you will get a WAY better resuilt 99.5638% of the timenot comfertable setting it yourself? Practice it alot. Find a good system and use it. You might even have to ask your rider to stand somewhere so you can get your settings right, but it will be worth it in the end.
5. Dont be afraid to experiment. I tell people who ask why I'm not crazy about film school; nobody can teach you how to make a film. Sure you can be taught all the technical aspects but in reality film is an art, and true art can not be taught.

Posted: Apr 26, 2009 at 21:23 Quote
Nice tips Big Grin look under my profile in da carlmont video file, I can't post it since I'm on a iPod but check it out. They said that was hard to watch

Posted: Apr 26, 2009 at 21:28 Quote
Also if ur camera has manual exposure setting, hold a piece of red paper in front of the lens and then set.

Posted: Apr 27, 2009 at 20:42 Quote
Totally agree about the music stuff. A little secret from how I edit movies, I always, or usually try to know the song I am going to use when I head up too shoot, and I already know what type of shots are going to fit with the song. Sometimes I even bring my iPod along and listen while I'm shooting!

Great tips though man. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if theirs anything else I can add!

Eric P.

Posted: Apr 27, 2009 at 21:44 Quote
Yeah, the song can pretty much make or break a video. Some great ones are:
Rebelution - Attention Span
Flipsyde - Someday
Citizen Cope - Bullet and a Target( though I'm pretty sure it was in seasons)
Neither of them are really mainstream but they are all good for biking if used creatively. A friend and I are probably gonna film a little trail video this weekend I'll post it up once I get a new computer. Which reminds me, POST YOUR BEST VIDEOES!!

Posted: Apr 27, 2009 at 22:18 Quote
adudeonabike wrote:
Cmontjumper wrote:
Get some wide angle lenses, you can find them cheap on eBay Big Grin


Question:
When some one says a video is "hard to watch" wat does it mean?


Sorry, gotta disagree with you on that one. Cheap eBay wide angle lenses have some of the worst quality glass and coating you can find. Very occasionally you will get lucky and find one thats clean and looks passable, but, in all honesty, I would rather put a pair of cheap gas station sunglasses in front of my lens then one of those "HD wide angles" that you find on ebay. Stick with brands like 16x9 or Cavision or Century Precision Optics. yeah, you pay more but you'll be able to see what your filming. This is especially true with HD.
Other then that though you nailed it, good pointers.

A "hard to watch" video is, in my mind, one that doesnt flow, is overly shaky or bad camera movements, has speed metal or death metal as the soundtrack (although in some cases that can work), has sloppy editing or is just "cut and pasted" together... theres alot of them on pinkbike.


Heres some tips:

1. Find your song BEFORE you start shooting and listen to it over and over; get to know it and visualize how the video will flow with it.
2. Avoid cliched angles/moves. Nobody wants to see another constant wide angle handheald from eye level at the side of the track. Sure, that shot has its place, but dont be afraid to play around. Unless your shooting film (in which case you probably arent here for advise), you've got plenty of cheap media available to shoot on; use it.
3. Use a GOOD tripod. This is my biggest pet peeve. Way too many times have I seen great shots ruined because the guy with the camera thought he could hold the camera steady enough. Get a tripod and practice with it. THAT BEING SAID, dont cheap out and buy a 20 dollar piece of sh*t, and definetly dont use that one that came in your "video camera kit" from eBay. The lowest I would suggest is the Bogen/Manfroto DV501HDV. And dont skimp out on legs to get a good head. You could have the highest end miller/cartoni (anybody wanna correct my spelling on that?) but it would do you jack sh*t if you had crummy legs.
4. Avoid using auto exposure, auto focus and auto shutter whenever possible. Yeah, you have to do it all yourself but you will get a WAY better resuilt 99.5638% of the timenot comfertable setting it yourself? Practice it alot. Find a good system and use it. You might even have to ask your rider to stand somewhere so you can get your settings right, but it will be worth it in the end.
5. Dont be afraid to experiment. I tell people who ask why I'm not crazy about film school; nobody can teach you how to make a film. Sure you can be taught all the technical aspects but in reality film is an art, and true art can not be taught.
Great tips!!!
do u have any for photography?

Posted: Apr 27, 2009 at 22:20 Quote
Cmontjumper wrote:
Yeah, the song can pretty much make or break a video. Some great ones are:
Rebelution - Attention Span
Flipsyde - Someday
Citizen Cope - Bullet and a Target( though I'm pretty sure it was in seasons)
Neither of them are really mainstream but they are all good for biking if used creatively. A friend and I are probably gonna film a little trail video this weekend I'll post it up once I get a new computer. Which reminds me, POST YOUR BEST VIDEOES!!
going off of FaultLineMediaGroup tips
do u have any songs in mind for friday?

Posted: Apr 27, 2009 at 22:48 Quote
Heres my best work I think! Let me know what you think in here if you want...

Views: 47,195    Faves: 993    Comments: 217


On another note, I used Someday by Flipsyde a LONG time ago. Can't really remember for what video though lolll. Good song though!

Eric P.

EDIT: Aaaand wow, we can't watch it cause their doing something to the servers! Lame! Check back later then and watch it...

Posted: Apr 28, 2009 at 7:11 Quote
Sick video, I saw that the day it was vod I remember :p song for this Friday I was thinkn safe and sound by rebelution. And has anyone ever used smoke effects in a movie?? We were thinkn of that

Posted: Apr 28, 2009 at 19:39 Quote
this is personaly my best even tho im not in it.
Views: 2,997    Faves: 15    Comments: 17

edit:but of course, we'll have to watch it later

Posted: Apr 29, 2009 at 4:06 Quote
hey, iv just been getting into editing lately, and iv been having trouble expanding on the basic stuff, any ideas on how i can improve? this is my latest offering, still not very good but hopefully you can help me improve on it. im using sony vegas.
Views: 881    Faves: 1    Comments: 2

Posted: May 2, 2009 at 7:40 Quote
it was ok here are a few tips to improve it:
get a tripod, it was really shaky
dont repeat clips
have mostly angles that dont need to be moved(some moving shots are ok)
dont zoom! unless its really slowly and on a tripod

Previous Page |

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017270
Mobile Version of Website