Nails vs. Screws.

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Nails vs. Screws.
Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 15:21 Quote
hmmmm thats a hard one... Not . Use screws, last longer, support it more, and you have less of a chance of getting a flat when goin down itBeer

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 15:23 Quote
screws for long lasting nails for quickness.

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 15:24 Quote
i am actually not to sure on the 2x6's yet and what is pallot wood?

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 15:24 Quote
konaboy3 wrote:
hello,

i am building a role in that is 11 feet high. i was wondering what you guys would reccomend, nails or screws?

thanks

LuKe
Nails

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 15:25 Quote
why nails, everyone is saying screws

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 15:28 Quote
pallets are these here you can get them usually for free from hardware stores or where ever because they have tons of spares.
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.woodenpackaging.co.uk/SinglePallet1.jpg

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 15:29 Quote
oh yeah, you could use those pallots just take a hammer and start wacking out the nails

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 15:29 Quote
If you use screws and can afford it, get the decking screws (Totem and Home Depot should carry them) they are green in color and are superb for building strong sturdy things. They come in 3"-6" lengths, they don't rust and won't pull out. Um pallets aren't 2x6's, just thinner.

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 15:35 Quote
i am gonna use screws. thanks for the posts. any more are welcome

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 17:54 Quote
Use 10" and 8" spiral spikes for all supports and posts 6" will work if using 4x4 wood. On the planking use #10 3" deck screws. If you use these you will never have to redo anypart of your stunt.That is what I used on this.

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 18:04 Quote
3.5-6inch spiral galvinized nails ftwSalute

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 18:07 Quote
its simple///nails r easy but have to be replaced after a while and can come out, screws hold the wood better and last a long time..and the price

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 18:19 Quote
man i build alot of stuff in the bush and what not, if you can find a place that sells nails in screws in bulk buy them, i think i bough like 20 pounds of stuff(nails and screws) for under 20$
i use the screws on the stuff that is hard to nail but for the trial tops u drive over u can use nails, just make sure they come threw the other side an inch or more, and if you get the galvanized ones u will never have to replace them. 3.5 inch zinc coated deck screws wont rust and are way cheaper than the green ones. if your buying all nice new 2x4's and new whatever use screws to hold it in place and add some nails for extra support. if you know anyone that has a cedar bush ask them if you can take some wood out of it, it never rots and holds its strength for a long time. i made a roll in this summer and i used all cedal trees and then i made the trial top out of 1x1's
it works really well

Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 11:38 Quote
konaboy3 wrote:
why nails, everyone is saying screws
cuase they last a good amount of time

Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 11:41 Quote
screws for stuff thats going to last.
nails for stuff thats probs gonna get torn down when its found out.

plus you need a cordless drill for screws

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012340
Mobile Version of Website