Nails vs. Screws.

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Nails vs. Screws.
| Next Page
Posted: Nov 11, 2007 at 20:58 Quote
huckoveraduck wrote:
screws for stuff thats going to last.
nails for stuff thats probs gonna get torn down when its found out.

plus you need a cordless drill for screws

Yes its true you need a cordless drill for screws, but these days most families have one or two cordless drills. Around here everyone uses nails because they tear down a lot of our wood things. But if you have a family member who has a cordless drill def use screws.

Posted: Nov 12, 2007 at 5:23 Quote
no i am not building it on my trail, i am building it at my graandmas farm. it is not gonna be taken down

Posted: Nov 12, 2007 at 7:21 Quote

thats the roll in I built
i only used screws to hold down the middle of the top floor and to hold stuff up while i was nailing it:P

Posted: Nov 12, 2007 at 12:46 Quote
Screws are way better than nails. Like alot of people said they grip into the wood alot better

Posted: Nov 12, 2007 at 13:13 Quote
screws grip better but they dont have the strength unless u buy the massive ones that kill batteries in 10 min and cost a fortune
deck screws only work well for holding stuff down

Posted: Nov 15, 2007 at 13:32 Quote
if build a lot shore in my life and always used 3 1/2 inch spirral nail and its the shiznit! screws will break, nails are gonna bent to the end, buy yourself a good construction hammer and hammer away! they hold as good as screws and are way cheaper! and you`ll develop muscles!Construction

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 6:56 Quote
Real trail builders only use galvanized spiral nails at least 6" long.

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 10:02 Quote
Houses are built out of nails because the bearing load is downward on most joints.
this means that the fastener is really holding the stud in place until weight is placed on it.
So for putting planking on jumps or drops, nails will be fine.
To build your uprights and main weight bearing horizontals use screws or lag bolts.
Use deck screws for any 2x material and lag bolts for anything thicker than 2x.
You will have to drill for bolts, but they are designed to hold weight.
Deck screws are designed so you don't have to predrill.

Note;for free building material use wooden pallets.
Try to get hardwood ones with good stringers.
Because the have 3 stringers over 40 inches you can ride on the 1 inch planks without any worry.
I build with them and am 200 pounds and never have any problems.
Join them together with 2x4.

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 at 18:01 Quote
hope you are building some where dry and screws will work. if there is any rain try going with 4 or 6 inch galvinized spiral nails. galvinized spirals are way cheaper and will never rust away. as for material pallets are crap and will have to be replaced every year. use at least 2x4s oh and if its realy wet like the vancouver demensional wood will become realy slipery in a mater of months and you should use cedar if at all possible.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007904
Mobile Version of Website