Ride to Conquer Cancer!

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Ride to Conquer Cancer!
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 2, 2009 at 20:15 Quote
A friend of mine is doing the Ride to Conquer Cancer, and needs your help! He needs to raise at least $2,500 to take part in the ride. The ride is from Vancouver to Seattle. His goal is to raise $3,200. Want to give money to a good cause, then help out Paul by donating here!

Posted: May 2, 2009 at 20:47 Quote
Thats an estimated distance of 141.04 miles.

Posted: May 2, 2009 at 20:55 Quote
fireman wrote:
Thats an estimated distance of 141.04 miles.

It's around 160 kilometers of riding, with 80-85 KM's a day. That's what you need to be able to ride.

Posted: May 2, 2009 at 22:41 Quote
This is the most outrageous concept. The whole concept of a charity asking for donations and then saying "oh, but unless you have $2,500, you can't donate".

The shop I work at is a sponsor for this event, we in theory have a shop team going into it. But I refused.

Also it isn't even that hard. 80km in a day is dick all.

I am instead sponsoring a dude riding across Canada making a minimum of 250km a day.

Posted: May 2, 2009 at 22:47 Quote
Yeah, the $2,500 thing is lame. I was going to do it, and saw that was like never mind. Still a good cause though. My favourite organization that is about cancer is the Skate4Cancer. Skateboarding across countries, but instead of raising money as a charity, he tries to raise awareness of cancer and it seems to work very well.

Mod
Posted: May 2, 2009 at 23:15 Quote
The minimum amount to fundraise is there because it is a "select individuals" only event as they provide overnight accommodations for the riders. If they had a lot of participants, they couldn't ensure the riders' safety while on the highway or provide enough space, freebies, food, etc, that are normally present when you race. I agree $2500 is ridiculous but at the end of the day, it is all for a good cause! They have also raised a very substantial amount of money which is in excess of $100 million and this hasn't even been around for a decade!

Posted: May 2, 2009 at 23:22 Quote
I guess, I still think the whole idea retarded.

O+
Posted: May 2, 2009 at 23:44 Quote
there is no minimum to give. you can give 10$ if you want to or can't afford more.

You think it's retarted that I am still alive because of cancer research then? People thinking that cancer research is retarded are the ones that are retarded.

It's a great concept and a great idea. If it wasn't from people raising money for cancer research, I'd be 6 feet under in a wooden coffin for the last 4 years!

Posted: May 2, 2009 at 23:55 Quote
I donate to Cancer. Just not to this ride. I pay $90 to enter, then if I don't raise $2,500 I can't ride.

I can't donate what I want.

The whole concept of someone begging for money, and then saying "Oh if you don't donate this much, then just keep your money." in my opinion is outrageous and retarded. I have had 4 people close to me, be battle cancer so I am well aware of the advances in research.

Even if this charity was for something completely different I still wouldn't ride in it nor donate to it.

Posted: May 3, 2009 at 5:03 Quote
so... if he doesn't raise at least 2,500 what happens to the money? seeing as he cant donate it?

Mod
Posted: May 3, 2009 at 7:56 Quote
You can donate the money. You just can't participate in the ride. If you think about it, $2500 isn't that difficult to fundraise. They help you a lot by providing space on their website to help people raise the money and they give you a lot of tips about how to raise money. Most of the people who ride in this charity event are professionals and it isn't exactly something for kids to do.therefore, it easy to fundraise. I know a few people who have ridden in the Calgary and they had no problem obtaining the minimum $2500. Most did close to four times that without any corporate sponsors!

Posted: May 3, 2009 at 17:59 Quote
Well Laurie you maybe see 1% of the riders in this race.

I see probably at least 50% for the Calgary event. Many are having a tough time making the minimum and it looks like they are going to have to put their own money in on top of what they already of have put it in just to be able to ride.

Stupid/Outrageous/retarded.

Posted: Jun 22, 2009 at 23:37 Quote
Well it happened this weekend. Paul raised a cool, $4,670! He rode the 275km's from Vancouver to Seattle. He said it was 'amazing', even though he got 3 flats, sore legs(ha), and one crash, which he said was 'very stupid and not his fault. The event raised, 6.9 million dollars! Awesome!

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 at 16:11 Quote
yeah, from what I can gather, I think there is like 3 guys out of the whole team doing the ride. Everyone else didn't make the number.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014041
Mobile Version of Website