Will using a shorter coil break my shock?

PB Forum :: Beginners
Will using a shorter coil break my shock?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 7, 2009 at 8:08 Quote
I have a manitou swinger 4 way with an eye-to-eye of 9.75". I have a 600# coil from another shock that is not this long. Will I damage my shock if I were to use this shorter coil? I'm trying to avoid buying a new coil if at all possible.

Posted: May 7, 2009 at 8:13 Quote
If the spring is not the correct length you will get very hard bottom out as the spring will stop moving before the shaft of the shock.
Thats if the spring dosent completley fail and break into pieces Big Grin
Ask your self this, how much is a new spring to fit your shock correctly?
Then ask how much is a complete new shock and spring?
Because if you faf up your shock by using the wrong spring that's what you will be facing. Big Grin Big Grin

Posted: May 7, 2009 at 8:20 Quote
There's also a good chance that your frame would actually break too as the spring bottoms out, the extra forces are directly transmitted now to your frame (particularly the shock mounts) unabsorbed by the shock absorber.

d0w13r wrote:
If the spring is not the correct length you will get very hard bottom out as the spring will stop moving before the shaft of the shock.
Thats if the spring dosent completley fail and break into pieces Big Grin
Ask your self this, how much is a new spring to fit your shock correctly?
Then ask how much is a complete new shock and spring?
Because if you faf up your shock by using the wrong spring that's what you will be facing. Big Grin Big Grin

Posted: May 7, 2009 at 8:45 Quote
Do not go there buy the right spring. When the coil bottoms on itself it tends to bend the shaft of the shock then you are screwed cause a new rear shock aint cheap

Posted: May 7, 2009 at 11:55 Quote
That cinches it, gonna get a new coil rather than break my bike or myself. Thanks everyone for your advice.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008570
Mobile Version of Website