Tow Bar mounted bike rack

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Tow Bar mounted bike rack
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 7, 2009 at 9:26 Quote
Hi

For my GCSE major project i am making a tow bar mounted bike rack. If you are a user of a tow bar mounted rack please post me all the problems you have with your racks and any really good parts you like about them. If you have any ideas about my rack for me just post them here! I really need your help!

Thanks Alex

Posted: May 7, 2009 at 9:33 Quote
dislike
loss of use of tow bar
weight limit means i can't put three dh bikes on it
not sparec widely enough to put three bikes on with ease
first bike is in danger of being scratched ba the bar that the bars that attch to the bike.(upside down u-shaped bar that is attached to main frame of rack the other bars that attach to the bike are attached to)

easy to put bikes on
fast to put bikes on
fast to put onto car
easy to put onto car
bike is safer from scratches than when on hanging rack

Posted: May 7, 2009 at 9:37 Quote
candymuffin wrote:
dislike
loss of use of tow bar
weight limit means i can't put three dh bikes on it
not sparec widely enough to put three bikes on with ease
first bike is in danger of being scratched ba the bar that the bars that attch to the bike.(upside down u-shaped bar that is attached to main frame of rack the other bars that attach to the bike are attached to)

easy to put bikes on
fast to put bikes on
fast to put onto car
easy to put onto car
bike is safer from scratches than when on hanging rack

Cheers for that! Thats just the kind of thing i need! Please keep it coming people! Thanks

Posted: May 7, 2009 at 9:55 Quote
I have a hollywood racks 3 bike rack.
it is pretty awesome but a couple of things that bug me are:
- if you have, as I do, a van or people mover the handlebar of the bike closest to the van taps/bangs on the rear window. I have a broken tennis ball on the bar to hopefuly stop it smashing my rear window.

- rear access to vehicle is extremely limited (but same for all racks)

I agree with all the positives from the guys above and below.

I have had 2 bg free ride bikes and a smaller bike on mine no problem, from memory it said i could put 150lbs on it.

will come back if i think of anything else

Posted: May 7, 2009 at 9:57 Quote
Pros:

-Quick and easy to put on and take off
-Folds up so doesn't take up much room in shed/garage
-Good height - no lifting bikes way above your head for a roof rack (I'm weak I know Smile )
-Easy to attach bikes to
-Bikes are attached nice and securely
-The rack locks onto the towbar, and the bikes can easily be locked to the rack using your standard bike lock
-Doesn't add much length to the car
-More streamlined and thus more economic (less fuel consumption) than a roof rack
-Stops other drivers tailgating - they all seem wary of it!
-Folds to allow boot access - even with bikes on the rack!!

Cons:
-Can only take two bikes (you can buy racks that take more, but eventually it'll get too heavy)
-Lowers rear of car so easier to scratch on high bumps, kerbs etc.
-Increases fuel consumption
-Makes me post lists of pros and cons

I think I've covered everything! Just make sure to include lights and a license plate, if the carrier blocks the car's lights and plate.

FYI my rack is this, or similar: http://www.thule.com/Thule/ProductPage____83136.aspx

Hope that helps, and good luck with your project!!

Posted: May 7, 2009 at 10:04 Quote
CCFR wrote:
FYI my rack is this, or similar: http://www.thule.com/Thule/ProductPage____83136.aspx

Hope that helps, and good luck with your project!!
i have the 3 bike version of this

pro:it folds down so we can access the boot, we have a horizontal split boot on my dad's car and both the top can open and the bottom can flap down fully.

Posted: May 7, 2009 at 10:31 Quote
This is all perfect! Thank you so much everybody i knew i could rely on pinkbikers!

Posted: May 7, 2009 at 14:11 Quote
My biggest complaint with my saris cycle on pro is that eventhough the trays allow any wheelbase bike on there, the front tire arm interferes with Sram derailleurs on longer bikes. 135mm or 150 spacing, doesnt matter.

Other than that, I always want a fork arm that cannot contact the fork (like the saris one, it locks in place), easy foldability, and systems that allow end users to be able to replace broken/bent parts.

Posted: Feb 3, 2010 at 13:17 Quote
Im getting to the finishing stages of this project now but anymore help would be great thanks. What are the problems with your rack? What do you ike about your rack, what rack do you use and why, any information is good. Thank you all so much!!!!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010248
Mobile Version of Website