Sram/shimano

• Previous Page
Posted: May 8, 2009 at 11:18 Quote
I would like to know if sram x-9 shifters are compatible with shimano XT derailleurs??

Posted: May 8, 2009 at 11:26 Quote
no, the sram shifters pull twice as much cable as shimano shifters.

unless you only want every other gear....

Posted: May 8, 2009 at 11:28 Quote
No, You can use only these combinations:

Shimano shifter/shimano mech
shimano shifter/sram mech
sram shifter/sram mech

Hope this helps

Posted: May 8, 2009 at 12:56 Quote
Kingswoodbiker wrote:

sram shifter/sram mech

Hope this helps

why can you use shimano shifter/sram mech but not the other way around? i dont get it?

Posted: May 8, 2009 at 13:35 Quote
dutchster wrote:
Kingswoodbiker wrote:

sram shifter/sram mech

Hope this helps

why can you use shimano shifter/sram mech but not the other way around? i dont get it?

Its cause the spacing(the amount of cable pulled through) with each click of the shifter is different on a sram to a shimano.

Posted: May 8, 2009 at 13:56 Quote
Kingswoodbiker wrote:

Its cause the spacing(the amount of cable pulled through) with each click of the shifter is different on a sram to a shimano.
So by your own reasoning the Shimano shifter/Sram mech wouldn`t work either.

Posted: May 8, 2009 at 14:23 Quote
dutchster wrote:
no, the sram shifters pull twice as much cable as shimano shifters.

unless you only want every other gear....

Wrong way round actully.

SRAM use a 1:1 ratio while Shimano use 2:1.

Posted: May 8, 2009 at 14:30 Quote
hufee wrote:
I would like to know if sram x-9 shifters are compatible with shimano XT derailleurs??

Sram rocket shifters work with shimano deraillers. and there is a cheaper version also. I don't remember what it is called.. I have both of them... I am running a xo shifter on my dh bike and I wanted all my bikes the be the same when I shift. I hated fumbling around getting used to something different each time. just got it;;; Attack shifter

Posted: May 8, 2009 at 14:40 Quote
Royston wrote:
Kingswoodbiker wrote:

So by your own reasoning the Shimano shifter/Sram mech wouldn`t work either.

I know, its weird but it is true, a sram x9 shifter won't work with a shimano xt mech

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 13:47 Quote
Kingswoodbiker wrote:

sram shifter/sram mech

Hope this helps
Care to explain how the highlighted setup works? I have never tried to use this setup so I cannot conclusively say that it doesn't work, I suspect it won't but eagerly await you proving me wrong.

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 13:58 Quote
the highlighted combo wont work as shimano uses a 2:1 pull ratio and sram use a 1:1. the only mix combo that will work is some sram shifters labeled 'trx' work on the 2:1, they are only a few gripshits and a x3 look alike

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 14:01 Quote
Royston wrote:
Kingswoodbiker wrote:

sram shifter/sram mech

Hope this helps
Care to explain how the highlighted setup works? I have never tried to use this setup so I cannot conclusively say that it doesn't work, I suspect it won't but eagerly await you proving me wrong.

Look at this forum:

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-51980.html

Sram do make some shifters that work with shimano mechs but thier rare, things like x-5 and x-0 shifters can't control a shimano mech! Trust me! Im not one hundred percent sure why, ask you lbs if you don't believe me!

O+
Posted: May 9, 2009 at 14:11 Quote
Sram makes shifters to work with shimano derailers, those shifters wont work with sram derailers.

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 19:16 Quote
To Kingswoodbiker, I am fully aware of the Sram shifters that are compatible with Shimano mechs. You should re-read the part I highlighted from your post before educating me.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011213
Mobile Version of Website