Video Camera Information

PB Forum :: Biking Videos
Video Camera Information
Posted: Aug 8, 2009 at 19:31 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
I know, and that's not even the tip of the iceberg any more. A lot of filmmakers (Anthill Films too) are using the Red One in 4K - which is already twice the horizontal resolution that we can record in. And Red are releasing the Scarlet with an optional sensor that can record in 28K! Obviously we don't actually have the technology to display anything nearly as big, but 4K screens are coming along. It's kinda depressing really...You buy an HD camera and a year later they have 4K.

I'm definitely watching the progress with Scarlet. I was actually fortunate enough to work with a Red One, I was definitely impressed. If Scarlet can actually produce what has been announced, then I will sell my HMC150 and pick one up in a heartbeat. The craziest part is the Red Epic brain will actually shoot 5k, which is just insane.

That's just the nature of things right now though. I know a few freelance shooters that have actually sold their ENG camera setups, and rent the camera required for the shoot just due to the rapid change of codecs and formats. One client will require XDCAM-EX footage, and the next will want DVCProHD. There's just no way to cover all the codecs out there right now. It will definitely be nice things are once again standardized.

Posted: Aug 8, 2009 at 19:42 Quote
JSoule wrote:
SpikeX wrote:
I know, and that's not even the tip of the iceberg any more. A lot of filmmakers (Anthill Films too) are using the Red One in 4K - which is already twice the horizontal resolution that we can record in. And Red are releasing the Scarlet with an optional sensor that can record in 28K! Obviously we don't actually have the technology to display anything nearly as big, but 4K screens are coming along. It's kinda depressing really...You buy an HD camera and a year later they have 4K.

I'm definitely watching the progress with Scarlet. I was actually fortunate enough to work with a Red One, I was definitely impressed. If Scarlet can actually produce what has been announced, then I will sell my HMC150 and pick one up in a heartbeat. The craziest part is the Red Epic brain will actually shoot 5k, which is just insane.

That's just the nature of things right now though. I know a few freelance shooters that have actually sold their ENG camera setups, and rent the camera required for the shoot just due to the rapid change of codecs and formats. One client will require XDCAM-EX footage, and the next will want DVCProHD. There's just no way to cover all the codecs out there right now. It will definitely be nice things are once again standardized.

I am also looking at picking one up when they accounce the official prices. I wanted to go with an FX1000, but I'll just have to wait and see. The thing I like about the Red stuff is that it's all modular so you can get a basic setup and just add things on as you go along and not have to buy a new camera. It all looks extremely high quality too.

Posted: Aug 8, 2009 at 19:43 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
I am also looking at picking one up when they accounce the official prices. I wanted to go with an FX1000, but I'll just have to wait and see. The thing I like about the Red stuff is that it's all modular so you can get a basic setup and just add things on as you go along and not have to buy a new camera.

That would definitely have to be one of the nicest features of Red's stuff, (well other then the crazy resolution) is the modular setup.

I just really hope they actually release scarlet without any more delays this time...

Posted: Aug 8, 2009 at 22:14 Quote
I'd bet that the scarlet wont be readily available for at least another 6 months, minimum. Plus, you'll still need a beast of a computer to process the footage or do any editing. Here's the way I see it, if you hold off on buying a camera now because you are waiting for the scarlet to come out (god knows when that is), you don't need the scarlet in the first place. Just buy a camera and go shoot!

Posted: Aug 8, 2009 at 22:43 Quote
JSoule, thanks for all of the info. I will definitely look into the Sony lineup in my pricerange then (maybe something with at least a touchscreen manual focus). And thanks also for the info on the HD compressing "1080p". When I get something new or am considering something, I'll post it here for sure.

-Until then
AM

Posted: Aug 8, 2009 at 23:07 Quote
AMBikerJJ8 wrote:
JSoule, thanks for all of the info. I will definitely look into the Sony lineup in my pricerange then (maybe something with at least a touchscreen manual focus). And thanks also for the info on the HD compressing "1080p". When I get something new or am considering something, I'll post it here for sure.

-Until then
AM

Yeah sure, I'll try and help if possible too.

Posted: Aug 9, 2009 at 2:25 Quote
Just a question, JSoule, what do you think of HDD or CompactFlash Recorders? I might get one if I buy my FX1000. I assume the quality isn't quite as good as from the tape, but is it really that bad? I don't want to spend my time capturing footage to my computer and changing tapes all the time, or have a tape or head fail on me and loosing all my footage. You get true 1920 x 1080 HD too I believe. Can you see any disavtantages, and is the quality a huge step downwards?

Posted: Aug 9, 2009 at 11:47 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
Just a question, JSoule, what do you think of HDD or CompactFlash Recorders? I might get one if I buy my FX1000. I assume the quality isn't quite as good as from the tape, but is it really that bad? I don't want to spend my time capturing footage to my computer and changing tapes all the time, or have a tape or head fail on me and loosing all my footage. You get true 1920 x 1080 HD too I believe. Can you see any disavtantages, and is the quality a huge step downwards?

I honestly wouldn't bother. There's no real loss in image quality, but it just doesn't seem necessary to me. Back when I was shooting with an XH-A1 I used a focus enhancements DTE recorder a few times. With bike riding filming I actually preferred to shoot to tape just because a lot of the stuff I film (street stuff) is run and gun, so reducing setup time was key. If you're in a more controlled environment this won't be an issue, but it will still add some bulk and weight to your setup. I'd also wouldn't be concerned about drop outs or a head failing if you're shooting with a new camera, just use a high quality tape and you'll be fine.

If it were me, I'd use the $2000+ to buy other more useful things for your camera.

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 at 19:26 Quote
So the Canon HV40 is looking like what I want, even though it's out of my pricerange a bit. Does anyone know what the quality/reliability of a "refurbished" HV40 would be? Should I just search around for the cheapest new one I can find? It would take me about 3 months to get all of the money together...

Posted: Aug 28, 2009 at 7:41 Quote
AMBikerJJ8 wrote:
So the Canon HV40 is looking like what I want, even though it's out of my pricerange a bit. Does anyone know what the quality/reliability of a "refurbished" HV40 would be? Should I just search around for the cheapest new one I can find? It would take me about 3 months to get all of the money together...

What about an HV30? It has almost all the same features but you can get it for a lower price...

Posted: Aug 28, 2009 at 11:20 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
AMBikerJJ8 wrote:

What about an HV30? It has almost all the same features but you can get it for a lower price...

The hv40 looks like it has somwhat of a manual focus doodad, and I didn't see that in the hv30's picture. Does it though????

Posted: Aug 28, 2009 at 16:37 Quote
AMBikerJJ8 wrote:
SpikeX wrote:
AMBikerJJ8 wrote:

The hv40 looks like it has somwhat of a manual focus doodad, and I didn't see that in the hv30's picture. Does it though????

I think it does. You can get proper add-on focus rings for the HV30 (here), so I would assume that it has a focus knob too.

Posted: Aug 28, 2009 at 16:43 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
AMBikerJJ8 wrote:
SpikeX wrote:

I think it does. You can get proper add-on focus rings for the HV30 (here), so I would assume that it has a focus knob too.

Oh wow, that's sick. Yeah, I'll definitely get the HV30 then over the HV40.

Posted: Aug 28, 2009 at 17:14 Quote
Should the MiniDV tape recording method be an issue? I'd love to go no tape, but Idk if it makes a difference...what are the pros/cons?

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006278
Mobile Version of Website