Black or silver spokes?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Black or silver spokes?
Posted: May 10, 2009 at 4:20 Quote
I prefer silver spokes, as gives a bit of a change if have black hub and rim.

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 4:20 Quote
joshleb wrote:
I prefer silver spokes, as gives a bit of a change if have black hub and rim.
but silver look cheap

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 7:10 Quote
i agree with everyone on here the colour of spokes does not make a difference, and it is all whether you prefer how black or silver spokes look.

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 7:12 Quote
its only paint on the spoke means nothing go with like red or something flashy like that

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 7:16 Quote
SILVER SPOKES ARE STRONGER because the painting process weakens them. FACT.

Personal experience as well, ive snapped black spokes as has my mate, but never any silver ones. Black spokes do seem more brital.

Yes it obviously matters more about the manufacturer, but black spokes are weaker. Ide rather have spokes that look 'cheap' (i dont think they do) if they are less likely to snap

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 7:17 Quote
milanboez wrote:

Personal experience as well, ive snapped black spokes as has my mate, but never any silver ones. Black spokes do seem more brital.

Yes it obviously matters more about the manufacturer, but black spokes are weaker. Ide rather have spokes that look 'cheap' (i dont think they do) if they are less likely to snap
thankyou, now this is why my lbs wont built wheels with black spokes. you have enlightened me.

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 7:33 Quote
Silvers for me please. After a season of use, you don't get colors chips all over the spokes either using silvers, and as someone mentioned above, apparently the anodizing process can slightly weaken the spoke.

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 16:07 Quote
milanboez wrote:

Prove it.

I'm not saying that it does or doesn't, but still, prove it.

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 16:25 Quote
use silver if your a weight weenie, otherwise go for black it looks great too

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 16:56 Quote
mitcht wrote:
Silvers for me please. After a season of use, you don't get colors chips all over the spokes either using silvers, and as someone mentioned above, apparently the anodizing process can slightly weaken the spoke.

Most spokes are powder coated, which does not weaken them. Anodizing can only be done on Aluminum and that generally does not weaken the metal either...

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 16:58 Quote
Powder coated, anodizing.... Potato Tomato. You know what I mean.

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 16:59 Quote
mitcht wrote:
Powder coated, anodizing.... Potato Tomato. You know what I mean.

Well, they are 2 very, very different things... One uses acid and electricity and one uses paint and gets baked...

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 17:06 Quote
I realize that Dotca. My point is that what ever is done to the spoke to give it color, weakens the integrity of that spoke. I don't need to hear about how each process works, as this is pinkbike.

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 17:10 Quote
mitcht wrote:
I realize that Dotca. My point is that what ever is done to the spoke to give it color, weakens the integrity of that spoke. I don't need to hear about how each process works, as this is pinkbike.

Different methods of colouring the spoke, have different effects on the metal. Some none at all.

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 17:34 Quote
i prefer black spokes i like the look of them better

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021160
Mobile Version of Website