Mendip trail building sesh?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Mendip trail building sesh?
Posted: May 10, 2009 at 14:07 Quote
Will there be age groups?

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 14:12 Quote
Tucker-999 wrote:

Naaah, there probs won't be enough people for that, its just a casual fun day of "timed runs"

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 14:14 Quote
fooox wrote:
Tucker-999 wrote:

Naaah, there probs won't be enough people for that, its just a casual fun day of "timed runs"

Im up for it

Posted: May 10, 2009 at 14:22 Quote
Tucker-999 wrote:
fooox wrote:
Tucker-999 wrote:

Im up for it

Sweet!

O+
Posted: May 11, 2009 at 10:17 Quote
Dates wise can we have this in June? I finish my exams just before that
which i can imagine alot of others do too.

Posted: May 11, 2009 at 10:35 Quote
olynch wrote:
Dates wise can we have this in June? I finish my exams just before that
which i can imagine alot of others do too.

I finish on the 17th and then am away afterwards for a week or so. So it could be on a sunday 28th june???

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 0:57 Quote
Dude, thats glasto weekeend i think, maybe less people around

Posted: May 14, 2009 at 3:13 Quote
hi boys
as you know this trail is illegal and we have been putting in some hard work to get it sweet again. the last thing we want is to have the trail destroyed, due to lots of peolpe knowing about it and raceing on it. there are lots of horse riders and walkers. we dont actually have a right to be there so it could be closed very easily.
please do not contact any one. the national trust does not own the land. do not put any maps ar dirrections, please stop.....
the people that rent the land from the foresrty are hunting knobs and dont want us there as it is......
also no bbqs,,, come on we dont need to advertise this to every body in the woods.
keep this trail alive buy keeping it low key.
i cant stress this enough.
if you want to race buy some land or organise it properly on land that is legal.
dont mean to sound like a dick but we want this trail to last.
by you guys even talking about this on pink bike you are jeopardising our dh track.
i have just seen a post on single track word as well which is inviting all the xcers to come down.....doh we dont want it advertised.
i can appreciate your enthusiasm but this is the wrong place to race.
use the forest of dean maybe?
see you on the hill
gabriel

Posted: May 14, 2009 at 5:24 Quote
gabriel-m wrote:
hi boys
as you know this trail is illegal and we have been putting in some hard work to get it sweet again. the last thing we want is to have the trail destroyed, due to lots of peolpe knowing about it and raceing on it. there are lots of horse riders and walkers. we dont actually have a right to be there so it could be closed very easily.
please do not contact any one. the national trust does not own the land. do not put any maps ar dirrections, please stop.....
the people that rent the land from the foresrty are hunting knobs and dont want us there as it is......
also no bbqs,,, come on we dont need to advertise this to every body in the woods.
keep this trail alive buy keeping it low key.
i cant stress this enough.
if you want to race buy some land or organise it properly on land that is legal.
dont mean to sound like a dick but we want this trail to last.
by you guys even talking about this on pink bike you are jeopardising our dh track.
i have just seen a post on single track word as well which is inviting all the xcers to come down.....doh we dont want it advertised.
i can appreciate your enthusiasm but this is the wrong place to race.
use the forest of dean maybe?
see you on the hill
gabriel

I didn't have any idea how fragile the trails were/how easily they could be destroyed! I just thought that as a tribute to the huge effort thats been put into rebuilding the trails, it would be nice to do a race on one of them. But i totally agree with you about keeping them "low key." I don't think your being a dick at all because i can see where your coming from: Suddenly a group of young riders want to risk the trails that you have built and ride regularly - I want the trails to last just as long as you do and therefore its probably best that we cancel the race. Instead, would it be a good idea if we converted it into an organised building sesh? as i'm sure you need a hand in rebuilding some of the destroyed trails. So should we organise a date to build or just keep things as they are with the more local riders building sections by themselves. I would understand either way.

Cheers, Ed

Posted: May 14, 2009 at 5:28 Quote
Read the above post for an answer to why the change of forum title.

Posted: May 14, 2009 at 9:23 Quote
cool guys for the positive response.
would love to oraganise a build day but evan that i think should probably be low key as well. its a shame but most of the hill is rented and they will not be happy with us building, but the old trails do need rebuilding. i would sugest occsionally doing a bit of work late in the evening possibly week days are probably best. i have been told before not to ride there last winter, so it is hard to just turn up and ride. we need to be carfull and not piss any body off....
thats not easy. doh
if you do any building try to keeping in natural if possible and place chicken runs.
peace gabriel

O+
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 11:12 Quote
I had completely no idea too. I thought it was forestry commission land. Thats a bit of a shock.

Although there was a guy driving up the fireroads in a green landrover and i can imagine maybe he was the owner or rent payer of the land and he seemed to have no objection to me riding as he drove past. He wasnt anything to do with the felling company there. So whats the score with building because ive actually started building another track, its nothing huge, all natural though.

Posted: May 14, 2009 at 11:43 Quote
build away.
its not my land but just be aware of the hunter folk, some of them are cool some are not.
i had one knob pull a badge on me, but he had no power, just likes to get his badge out.....
natural tracks are the best, in my opinion.
good luck with your track.
it would be good to find a bit on the hill that doesnt have many if any bridle way crossings.
that way nobody gets pissed off.
there is plenty of space to build some new tracks.
have a good un

O+
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 11:49 Quote
In a week and a bits time i going up there to finish it. Ill spend a few days on it.

I had a need to build a track there as atm i dont really have anywhere decent locally to ride.

Do you know the guy who rides that red foes bike because i was told he runs things there and makes sure nothing stupid happens.

Posted: May 14, 2009 at 11:52 Quote
olynch wrote:
In a week and a bits time i going up there to finish it. Ill spend a few days on it.

I had a need to build a track there as atm i dont really have anywhere decent locally to ride.

Do you know the guy who rides that red foes bike because i was told he runs things there and makes sure nothing stupid happens.

I seen that dude a couple of times, don't know him though. He pretty much bombs down, sprints up bombs down, sprints up bombs down, sprints up... and doesn't tire. He is an absolute machine!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015165
Mobile Version of Website