The current state of Big Mountain Freeriding

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
The current state of Big Mountain Freeriding
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: May 12, 2009 at 11:35 Quote
howdy friends, I am curious. Over the past year I have heard alot of people discussing the "death" of big mountain riding. Some say that with the return of the Rampage that it is back, others say it has been replaced/evolved into slopestyle. Personally, it is my favorite and most commonly practiced form of riding, most days after work I am hiking ridges for new creative lines. But the only reason this is the case is because my surroundings lend themselves to this type of riding. The wide open vast mountains and ridgelines of western Nevada are very accessible to me. Yesterday as I was hiking I began to think that big mountain is not dead, access dictates our type of riding. The fact that bike parks have gained more and more popularity over the past five years is why slopestyle has gained more popularity, it is not as if the mountains have moved since 2004. So my question is this: who out there considers themselves a "big mountain" rider, or is at least still drawn to this type of riding?

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 11:54 Quote
JohnJameson wrote:
howdy friends, I am curious. Over the past year I have heard alot of people discussing the "death" of big mountain riding. Some say that with the return of the Rampage that it is back, others say it has been replaced/evolved into slopestyle. Personally, it is my favorite and most commonly practiced form of riding, most days after work I am hiking ridges for new creative lines. But the only reason this is the case is because my surroundings lend themselves to this type of riding. The wide open vast mountains and ridgelines of western Nevada are very accessible to me. Yesterday as I was hiking I began to think that big mountain is not dead, access dictates our type of riding. The fact that bike parks have gained more and more popularity over the past five years is why slopestyle has gained more popularity, it is not as if the mountains have moved since 2004. So my question is this: who out there considers themselves a "big mountain" rider, or is at least still drawn to this type of riding?

i love this type of riding, but i got no mountians arround where i live to do it. all i got is protected land.

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 11:56 Quote
i dont think i've ever seen an actual mountain let alone ridden one Frown stupid UK

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 12:00 Quote
Views: 2,129    Faves: 28    Comments: 19
Will White

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 12:21 Quote
me-likey-DH wrote:
snip*
Will White

look at those dogs chase him!! Smile

O+
Posted: May 12, 2009 at 13:15 Quote
that video is sick, I also love that he has his dogs chasing him. Another reason I love big mountain riding is that I can bring my pooches, they usually take crazier lines than me.

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 14:23 Quote
It's coming back. Woohoo!!!

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 14:29 Quote
Its definitely still around, and we're building stuff in Colorado. Bigness, LEGAL, and gnarly. Wont be done for a bit, but big mtn trails backed by IMBA!

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 14:34 Quote
id say it was definitely close to death for a while
but happily it is returning and in good form

big mountain is gnarly
and oh so sick

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 14:59 Quote
yeah, when rampage left it left, but now its back, will there be a rampage this year? and there needs 2 b more comps than rampage, thatd b sick, oh and nice vid

O+ FL
Posted: May 12, 2009 at 21:42 Quote
We're seeing bikes come back too with totally new school looks. The Faith the Revolt. To name a couple.

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 21:54 Quote
big mountain freeride is the coolest form of riding definetly.

VIRGIN UTAH=HEAVEN

O+
Posted: May 12, 2009 at 22:01 Quote
I think probably more people than it seems are doing it, just not the "sickest/ trendy" thing out there right now w/ slopestyle taking that, so it doesn't get talked about. I'm sure more people are actually doing "big mountain riding" than SS

Posted: May 13, 2009 at 3:52 Quote
I kinda suck at riding, but as soon as I get back to where I was in January I will be mostly hucking off stuff. No mountains here, but it's the right idea. Smile

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012484
Mobile Version of Website