Canon Vs nikon

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
Canon Vs nikon
Previous Page |
Posted: May 14, 2009 at 3:11 Quote
ok here it is the big question canon Vs nikon

- the canon 50d Vs the nikon d300
- the cannon 40d Vs the nikon d90 or 60 what one is more like the 40d in price and specs

- and all in all lens,flashes and any other think to do with canon or Nikon
- what one is best for the money nikon or canon

Posted: May 14, 2009 at 20:43 Quote
Nikon owns all.

Posted: May 16, 2009 at 6:40 Quote
me and my sony will do Smile

besides, its not the camera, its how your use it! remember that kids..

Posted: May 17, 2009 at 17:07 Quote
evanwm wrote:
Nikon owns all.
That is the most constructive piece of advice I've heard all day, almost as constructive as typing nothing to begin with.

As for how you use the camera, true. However, a good camera nowadays can make anyone's picture look good compared to a good photographer using a piece of junk.

Both Canon and Nikon make great DSLRs to begin with. Both are like a Ford and a Chevy and what you choose may depend on brand preference. Not one is necessarily better, but there are some subtle pros and cons to each.
When comparing the D300 to the 50D, the D300 is more of a manual camera. There's no scene knob for amateurs to tinker with and you really have to know your functions to shot with the D300. With the 50D, shooting manual is still easy and a preset scene knob is retained. Both use APS-C sensors and shot at around 6 fps. By purchasing the D300 body, you've already purchased the cost of a 50D kit. The 50D is a better choice IMO.
As for the D90 and the 40D, there's more differences. The 40D shots 6.3 fps where as the Nikon D90 shots around 4 fps. Something to consider if you like sequence shots. Canon 40D uses a CF card opposed to a SD in the Nikon, and is a better piece of technology. The D90 does have a HD movie mode, something you might like. However, the thing does get toasty pretty quickly and is recommended by Nikon to be used in a limited manner. D90 or a 40D, both are great choices.
If you do shot in low lighting, Canon's CMOS sensor produces better results with less noise.

As for accessories, both make great accessories. Canon is a tad overpriced for their stuff, but they make a larger variety of lenses than Nikon.

Cheers,
K

Posted: May 24, 2009 at 0:48 Quote
SpecialK6061 wrote:
evanwm wrote:
Nikon owns all.
If you do shot in low lighting, Canon's CMOS sensor produces better results with less noise.
Actually, the new generation of Nikons (D90, D300, D5000) all use a CMOS sensor as well. They also are able to auto-focus when using liveview whereas with the Canons manual focus is the only option in said mode. That said, to most these kinds of considerations are minor when purchasing such a camera and I find that one's preference tends to come greatly from the overall feel and layout of such beasts. Personally, I prefer the feel and functionality of the meaty D300 over the 50D but do recognize that some of this preference may stem from my loyalty to Nikon as a brand in and of itself. They both make great cameras but, as said before, the photographer is what makes the photographs. Photography is about lighting and composition, not so much about the tool used to record such factors.

Posted: May 24, 2009 at 23:47 Quote
joshtchuk wrote:
SpecialK6061 wrote:
evanwm wrote:
Nikon owns all.
Actually, the new generation of Nikons (D90, D300, D5000) all use a CMOS sensor as well. They also are able to auto-focus when using liveview whereas with the Canons manual focus is the only option in said mode[...]my loyalty to Nikon as a brand in and of itself. They both make great cameras but, as said before, the photographer is what makes the photographs. Photography is about lighting and composition, not so much about the tool used to record such factors.

Canon was among the first to stick a CMOS sensor into a DSLR. Nikon picked up on it years later. I work in a camera store with a bunch of camera junkies and even though they're Nikon biased, they admit to the fact that Canon CMOS sensors are better than Nikons, therefore, shoot much better in low light and at night.Not like it matters, but even with the Rebel XS you can autofocus while in live mode. Lots just overlook how to use this feature, and thus claim it as a weakness. The photographer might make the photo, but a poor camera definitely limits one's picture results. Lighting is everything though, something "everyone who buys a DSLR and expects perfect pictures" overlooks.

As for those who suggest "Nikon owns all" as a statement for or any camera brand to own at all clearly lacks knowledge of choosing a camera.

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 1:51 Quote
SpecialK6061 wrote:
joshtchuk wrote:
SpecialK6061 wrote:

Actually, the new generation of Nikons (D90, D300, D5000) all use a CMOS sensor as well. They also are able to auto-focus when using liveview whereas with the Canons manual focus is the only option in said mode[...]my loyalty to Nikon as a brand in and of itself. They both make great cameras but, as said before, the photographer is what makes the photographs. Photography is about lighting and composition, not so much about the tool used to record such factors.

Canon was among the first to stick a CMOS sensor into a DSLR. Nikon picked up on it years later. I work in a camera store with a bunch of camera junkies and even though they're Nikon biased, they admit to the fact that Canon CMOS sensors are better than Nikons, therefore, shoot much better in low light and at night.Not like it matters, but even with the Rebel XS you can autofocus while in live mode. Lots just overlook how to use this feature, and thus claim it as a weakness. The photographer might make the photo, but a poor camera definitely limits one's picture results. Lighting is everything though, something "everyone who buys a DSLR and expects perfect pictures" overlooks.

As for those who suggest "Nikon owns all" as a statement for or any camera brand to own at all clearly lacks knowledge of choosing a camera.

This discussion reminds me of a couple years ago when I was debating between a canon or nikon DSLR. I could recognize the basic superiority of Canon's CMOS sensor but still opted for the Nikon and it's CCD sensor on the basis of the Nikon's overall feel and layout. I felt that, when using the Nikon, I was at home and could manipulate the camera in every way I wanted easily. Really, like I said before, it was about what felt right in the end seeing as I was already familiar with Nikon. When Nikon began to use CMOS sensors in their cameras, I was mainly impressed by the punchyness and quality of colour I got out of the D300 in comparison to any of their first generations. So, to me, this is really just another reason to buy a Nikon. I agree though. I can definitely recognize that Canon's CMOS is a great sensor and performs better in certain conditions but when I started working at the camera shop I'm at now, I had to ask myself why everybody else I worked with used Nikon as well. Really, it always came down to the minute differences that added up to create the overall feel and functionality of the Nikon. That said, I can see many people choosing a Canon for the same reasons. Between the two, it's clearly a case of personal preference. Or at least for the most part. I will say though that I think most people assume they need more than they really do when it comes to DSLRs. Truth be told, I'm sure I could take many of the same shots I'm so proud of with a D40 just as easily.

As far as the live view issue goes, I stand corrected. Kudos.

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 11:48 Quote
Lenses make the difference more than a body every will unless you compare a FF body to a APS-C body. Get your hands on a Rokkor-PG 58mm f1.2 and you wont care about the CMOS sensor.

I hope you can auto-focus with live mode on the Rebel.. Manual focusing with live mode is a lesson in futility.

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 10:58 Quote
I shoot with a samsung GX10 and it's great although the accessories are limited and pricey. I also have a 35mm nikon f50, It's probably my favourite camera just for the way it feels.

This is also a debate at my uni where I'm studying adventure and media...Nikon D80s are loaned out and I think these are great although the canon users on the course slag them off to the max... The pictures that are coming out of the D80's are really really cool although the people using canon have equally as good photos. I don't think it really matters. It all depends on how the photo is taken and the skill used at the end of the day Smile

Posted: May 27, 2009 at 10:03 Quote
It is really a matter of preference. Both brands are great choices. As was mentioned, it is really lenses that make the difference. The things that I would consider is what do most of your peers shoot with. This is huge as you can swap lenses/accessories with them when needed.

I would also look and see what is more available used. This is good for knowing you future options. I shoot Canon and it drives me nuts when I look for used accessories around here and all I find is Nikon ones.

Posted: May 27, 2009 at 19:45 Quote
eyun wrote:
It is really a matter of preference. Both brands are great choices. As was mentioned, it is really lenses that make the difference. The things that I would consider is what do most of your peers shoot with. This is huge as you can swap lenses/accessories with them when needed.

I would also look and see what is more available used. This is good for knowing you future options. I shoot Canon and it drives me nuts when I look for used accessories around here and all I find is Nikon ones.

Ah you think Canon or Nikon is bad to find accessories... Pentax is the worst... I love my Pentax ist D, K10D, and K20D to death, but finding stuff for them in some cities is hard. We have a great Pentax store here in Cranbrook that stocks all the bodies and lots of lenses so thats not so bad.

And as far as camera brand against one camera brand goes. Who cares.. Shoot a camera that feels nice in your hands and you like to use. I find the Nikon D300/700 are massive tanks, so so so heavy compared to my Pentax Ist D and my K10/20D. However its all personal preference.

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 at 14:59 Quote
Canon and Nikon are straight up THE SAME. I have canon because i'm used to them, but loads of people use nikon. Just donw to which is the best deal for you at the time. I prefer canon, but thats all i've known.

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 at 22:47 Quote
I have heard that Canon only has less noise because of all the built in noise filters that are applied and that this results in a bit of loss in detail. I've seen it with my own eyes in side by side comparisons. My question is, can you remove noise in Aperture/Photoshop while keeping the detail? Also, I've heard Nikons can use the old film Nikon lenses while Canons cannot... True/false?

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 at 22:55 Quote
AqueousBeef wrote:
Also, I've heard Nikons can use the old film Nikon lenses while Canons cannot... True/false?

Canon can't use the really old ones (like 20+ years old) because they use a different mount style. Otherwise more recent film lenses will work, you will just suffer with issues like slowing focusing times. But that would be common for any old lens without high speed focusing. So yes they can't use the really old lenses that you may not want to be using anyway (no features on these lenses anyway).

Posted: Aug 3, 2009 at 0:40 Quote
eyun wrote:
AqueousBeef wrote:
Also, I've heard Nikons can use the old film Nikon lenses while Canons cannot... True/false?

Canon can't use the really old ones (like 20+ years old) because they use a different mount style. Otherwise more recent film lenses will work, you will just suffer with issues like slowing focusing times. But that would be common for any old lens without high speed focusing. So yes they can't use the really old lenses that you may not want to be using anyway (no features on these lenses anyway).
You get that vintage look, yaddadimean? It's sick, and plus, new lenses are expensive, vintage are dirt cheap.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020603
Mobile Version of Website