Hubs - Noisy or quiet?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Hubs - Noisy or quiet?
Posted: May 23, 2009 at 12:53 Quote
in between: Hadley Racing hubs

Posted: May 23, 2009 at 12:58 Quote
azonicstellhead wrote:
What's everybodys opinion of Profile hubs???
I've heard they're really noisey but are an amazing hub?

Also my friend has a set of Tune hubs & they are deafening!
i like mine they run smooth and sound lush but click quite fast Drool Drool Drool

Posted: May 23, 2009 at 13:11 Quote
AqueousBeef wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
AqueousBeef wrote:
lol
I used a large numbr so that the Number of newtons would be large an is only high way speed.
further more the idea is to show how more force is needed to urn a heavier wheel faster, If i really needed to prove it i should also state th affct of gravity on the wheel and how it turns into an elipse
No... You showed how much force it takes to STOP a frisctionless wheel spinning at about 150% highway speeds which is easily attainable through a disc brake and I don't think you understand how physics works... Those weights you came up with have nothing to do with turning resistance. In fact, they have nothing to do with anything. Not really sure why you did that.

No he didn't show that either. He showed the tension in the spoke required to keep a point mass (entire mass of wheel concentrated at a single point) moving in a circle, at very high speed.

To do what he was trying to do, he needs to find the increase in the inertia of the wheel due to the added mass (depends where on the wheel the mass was added, as eschelar mentioned) and then find the difference in torque needed to accelerate the wheel using that torque=intertia*rotational acceleration

Posted: Oct 10, 2011 at 15:08 Quote
i like noisy because they piss off old people on my streetSmile

Posted: Oct 10, 2011 at 15:32 Quote
loud for sure !
I love my hope pro 2, ridiculously loud Razz

Posted: Oct 11, 2011 at 8:46 Quote
niksaunders wrote:
i like noisy because they piss off old people on my streetSmile

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.rooney.org/tlc/silly/holy%20thread%20resurrection.jpg

Posted: Jun 1, 2013 at 22:05 Quote
I know this thread is realy old but i just got a brand new wheelset and the hub got rebuilt with different internals and its so quiet from what i have read i just think they used quite a bit of grease is that true? cause i know other people with the same hub that are louder

Posted: Jun 2, 2013 at 15:12 Quote
My hub is quiet........ When I get a new rear wheel it will have a hope pro2 I like the loud noise for whatever reason

Posted: Jun 2, 2013 at 23:36 Quote
I say loud is good .i do a lot of canal rideing so it's good to stop pedalling other hear it and move out your way so it's good for that . That was on hope pro 2 . Not so loud on my mavic SX but does the job

Posted: Oct 6, 2014 at 18:49 Quote
Very interesting reading this. My own take on excessively loud hubs is similar to that of very loud, open pipe harleys with blaring stereos or the 36" lift, red pickup with loud exhaust. Some people have a need to make sure people look at them everywhere they go. We call them DigMe. As in "I hear a DigMe down the street."
Just my opinion, I'm sure people hold much worse of me.

Posted: Oct 6, 2014 at 19:25 Quote
I prefer loud hubs but right now mine are dead silent.

Posted: Oct 10, 2014 at 10:42 Quote
I use to and still do prefer quiet hubs like 240s but Hope are notorious although my CK SS one is a more defined purr which is quite loud in a whirring purry kinda way so does quality of hub mean loudness then probably it doesn't have anything to do with it.

240s and CK respectively are quiet and loud but both are the best hubs out there ime and imo.

Haven't tried I9 mind to compare.

Tbf I couldn't give a toss so much nowadays as long as it spins freely!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015704
Mobile Version of Website