Damage at Near Cliffe Woods, Conisbrough, Doncaster

PB Forum :: Downhill
Damage at Near Cliffe Woods, Conisbrough, Doncaster
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 16, 2009 at 10:34 Quote
This is being place on this forum as the location has been discussed previously on forum threads. This post is being given as information, as it is acknowledged that the vast majority of cyclists do ride legally. It has appeared on other forums that have mentioned the Near Cliffe Woods DH track.
A DH track has been constructed in the Woods near to Steetley Quarry, Conisbrough. The Woods called Nearcliffe Woods are between the village of Conisbrough and the Old Viaduct.
The track has been constructed in private woods and is a site of special scientific interest (SSSI)
The woods have been used by cyclists for years and has had northshore and various jumps built. More recently a downhill track has been constructed through the woods and competitions organised. This has resulted in excessive damage to the woodland environment.
Following a complaint from Natural England there is an investigation underway to identify and possibly prosecute those responsible for the building of this track under Section 28 Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.
Anyone building further tracks for riding in the SSSI may face arrest, prosecution and the seizure of their bikes and equipment. However it is not the intention of SYP to try to criminilise riders doing so responsibly.
Conisbrough safer neighbourhood team is looking at the issues surrounding the use of the woods and possibly finding a compromise with the Police, landowner, riders and Natural England.
If you require and further information please contact.
http://neighbourhood.southyorks.police.uk/doncaster/west/conisbrough

Posted: May 16, 2009 at 13:37 Quote
Information on the location in question.
http://www.natureonthemap.org.uk/map.aspx?map=sssi&feature=1003224,sssi,HYPERLINK,LABEL

Further information on what a SSSI is
http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/information_for/sssi_owners_and_occupiers/default.aspx

Incidentaly the maximum fine for causing damage within a SSSI is £20,000.

Posted: May 16, 2009 at 14:06 Quote
20 grand for building a trail? wow that's lame.

Posted: May 17, 2009 at 1:06 Quote
People say we stay in all day but when we do go out we get fined 20k.

Meh abit of mud out of place. and its a controversy!
It's like them closing fort william because the wall ride has a crack lmao.

Tbh, when he need the police is like 2 hours when they arrive which is f*cking annoying, but when the woods need you its like 2 minutes. People wont stop. So i personally don't see the point.

Posted: May 17, 2009 at 2:46 Quote
I'm not really sure what the damage was, I came to watch that race and didn't really see anything out of order. Considering that the land is private though, the police can realistically force you to leave or have you prosecuted for trespassing, so I'm not going to complain that they let us ride there. Just treat the woods with some respect, other people have just as much right to enjoy them too.

Posted: May 17, 2009 at 9:06 Quote
i don't want stereo type the police,but as usual straight in the heavy duty threats, there must have been over 40 riders and more spectors at the last event, and like spartacus....arrest one and your gonna have to arrest at least 50 others,which no doutb will require a far amount of paperwork, to detriment of other crime solving in the area (EG real scumbags causing real crime problems)i just don't get why you have to threaten people, all you've managed to do is alienate the SYP, cause a big load of resentment amougst the woodland users,most of which are local residence(the very people your suppose to SERVE).i can't work out why you havn't taken a more positive approach, also i can find no reference to it on your web site, which makes me think its all just bullsh!te, looking forword to your response Jailbreak

Posted: May 18, 2009 at 0:41 Quote
Also as we DON'T live in a police state (altho it feels like it sometimes) and lets assume you are genuine, please identify yourself (name & number & contact details)so you can be a proper point of contact.

Posted: May 19, 2009 at 2:08 Quote
SouthYorkshirePolice wrote:

Incidentaly the maximum fine for causing damage within a SSSI is £20,000.

incidentaly, i reckon there's a big fine for impersonating a police officer Cop

O+
Posted: May 19, 2009 at 3:10 Quote
I've gotta agree with this guy ^
There is no evidence of what you're saying being true, you have not identified yourself, other than by putting "SouthYorkshirePolice" as you Pinkbike username... which frankly proves nothing.
From what i've read of your post, i fail to see anything illegal written. The only thing that i see as being is question is the permission to ride at these woods, which judging by your post, remains!

Posted: May 19, 2009 at 4:48 Quote
this is so stupid. There have been tracks there for years. Why where no signs put up or people coming down to speak to the riders?? Would be a shame to loose these trails after all the hardwork gone in. Especially when you see how many people use it. I cycle from the other side of doncaster (Auckley) to ride the tracks and trails and no many people who ride even further

Posted: May 20, 2009 at 8:52 Quote
Thank you for the replies,i hope to clarify a few things.

The woods have been used for many years for cycling and and it is acknowledged that this has caused no problems for the local community or Police.
However the new track building and competitions has draw attention to the woods, which are both privately owned and a SSSI. it is due to this building that Natural England is to investigate the damage to the woodland under their responsibility for SSSI's. Ultimately it would be up to Natural England to prosectute under sec 28 Wildlife and countryside act 1981.
The woods are owned by a local aggregates company, who have a responsibility under the SSSI legislation. Talks are underway to resolve the question of their liability for both the site maintenence, and injuries to individuals and third parties involved or injured in organised competitions.
This was placed on an open forum to promote constructive debate on access to the woods and to encourage riders to have a say.

It would be easier for the land owner to simply ban cycling in the woods.

The point of contact at Conisbrough SNT is PC1781 Paul France, who would be happy to answer your questions. Contact details in the OP.

...and lastly the fine for impersonating a Constable is
Six months imprisonment and / or a fine not exceeding level five on the standard scale. (£5000)

Posted: May 20, 2009 at 10:14 Quote
[Quote="racepimp"]

not what (SSSI) is but What is it that is protected in the area, What type of plant of tree should we be not touching Rolleyes

Full details at http://www.natureonthemap.org.uk/identify.aspx

reasons listed as.

Description and Reasons for Notification:
The River Don passes through the Magnesian Limestone west of Doncaster via the
Sprotbrough Gorge. Although much of the slopes have been quarried for their particularly pure
limestone used in the glass industry, fragments of ancient woodland remain. Together with
other features such as marshland and open water, they provide an important mosaic for
invertebrate species and birds.
North-west and south-east facing slopes of the Gorge bear calcareous ash-wych elm woodland
(southern variant) in Pot Ridings, Levitt Hagg, Engine, Farcliff and Nearcliff Woods. Wych
elm, ash and sycamore are typically abundant in the canopy, with field maple, silver birch,
pedunculate oak, yew, small and large-leaved lime, crab-apple and wild cherry. Collectively,
they are among the three best examples of this type in the county. The shrub layer is diverse
and well-developed, with hazel, hawthorn, elder, dogwood, guelder rose, wild privet, holly,
field rose, goat willow, buckthorn and spindle. The field layer is very rich and also diverse,
with dogÕs mercury Mercurialis perennis, ramsons Allium ursinum, wood anemone Anemone
nemorosa, wood sedge Carex sylvatica, enchanterÕs nightshade Circaea lutetiana and sanicle
Sanicula europaea.
The north-western parts of Pot Ridings Wood support a nationally notable invertebrate fauna,
many of the species being particularly associated with ancient woodland sites. Beetles, such as
Scaphidema metallicum, flies, such as Mycomya ornata and the bush cricket Meconema
thalassinum are associated with the foliage or dead wood of the trees and the tree-associated
fungi, while other species, such as the crane-fly Limonia masoni, are found within the herb
layer or humus soils.
Sprotbrough Flash is a water-filled subsidence area lying parallel to the River Don and is
fringed with tall marginal plants, particularly reed sweet grass Glyceria maxima. It is regionally
notable for its breeding birds, including water fowl such as Little Grebe, Great Crested Grebe,
Mute Swan, Gadwall and Tufted Duck.
Small areas of limestone grassland occur, such as to the south of Nursery Lane Quarry, and
although not in themselves regionally notable, they are of local importance and add diversity to
the Gorge. They include attractive plants such as bee orchid Ophyrs apifera and cowslip
Primula veris. Likewise, Fowlsyke Flash is of local importance and has a good range of aquatic
plants by comparison with other water-bodies in the region, with spiked water milfoil
Myriophyllum spicatum and rigid horn wort Ceratophyllum demersum.

Posted: May 20, 2009 at 10:16 Quote
i have a good idea maybe you should spend more of your time finding the aholes that stole me bike and less time huging trees your worse than a bunch of hippies.

Posted: May 20, 2009 at 10:19 Quote
dangggerboy wrote:
i have a good idea maybe you should spend more of your time finding the aholes that stole me bike and less time huging trees your worse than a bunch of hippies.

true dat!

iv had plenty of my bikes stolen and have had none of them back

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012278
Mobile Version of Website