Damage at Near Cliffe Woods, Conisbrough, Doncaster

PB Forum :: Downhill
Damage at Near Cliffe Woods, Conisbrough, Doncaster
Posted: May 20, 2009 at 10:14 Quote
[Quote="racepimp"]

not what (SSSI) is but What is it that is protected in the area, What type of plant of tree should we be not touching Rolleyes

Full details at http://www.natureonthemap.org.uk/identify.aspx

reasons listed as.

Description and Reasons for Notification:
The River Don passes through the Magnesian Limestone west of Doncaster via the
Sprotbrough Gorge. Although much of the slopes have been quarried for their particularly pure
limestone used in the glass industry, fragments of ancient woodland remain. Together with
other features such as marshland and open water, they provide an important mosaic for
invertebrate species and birds.
North-west and south-east facing slopes of the Gorge bear calcareous ash-wych elm woodland
(southern variant) in Pot Ridings, Levitt Hagg, Engine, Farcliff and Nearcliff Woods. Wych
elm, ash and sycamore are typically abundant in the canopy, with field maple, silver birch,
pedunculate oak, yew, small and large-leaved lime, crab-apple and wild cherry. Collectively,
they are among the three best examples of this type in the county. The shrub layer is diverse
and well-developed, with hazel, hawthorn, elder, dogwood, guelder rose, wild privet, holly,
field rose, goat willow, buckthorn and spindle. The field layer is very rich and also diverse,
with dogÕs mercury Mercurialis perennis, ramsons Allium ursinum, wood anemone Anemone
nemorosa, wood sedge Carex sylvatica, enchanterÕs nightshade Circaea lutetiana and sanicle
Sanicula europaea.
The north-western parts of Pot Ridings Wood support a nationally notable invertebrate fauna,
many of the species being particularly associated with ancient woodland sites. Beetles, such as
Scaphidema metallicum, flies, such as Mycomya ornata and the bush cricket Meconema
thalassinum are associated with the foliage or dead wood of the trees and the tree-associated
fungi, while other species, such as the crane-fly Limonia masoni, are found within the herb
layer or humus soils.
Sprotbrough Flash is a water-filled subsidence area lying parallel to the River Don and is
fringed with tall marginal plants, particularly reed sweet grass Glyceria maxima. It is regionally
notable for its breeding birds, including water fowl such as Little Grebe, Great Crested Grebe,
Mute Swan, Gadwall and Tufted Duck.
Small areas of limestone grassland occur, such as to the south of Nursery Lane Quarry, and
although not in themselves regionally notable, they are of local importance and add diversity to
the Gorge. They include attractive plants such as bee orchid Ophyrs apifera and cowslip
Primula veris. Likewise, Fowlsyke Flash is of local importance and has a good range of aquatic
plants by comparison with other water-bodies in the region, with spiked water milfoil
Myriophyllum spicatum and rigid horn wort Ceratophyllum demersum.

Posted: May 20, 2009 at 10:16 Quote
i have a good idea maybe you should spend more of your time finding the aholes that stole me bike and less time huging trees your worse than a bunch of hippies.

Posted: May 20, 2009 at 10:19 Quote
dangggerboy wrote:
i have a good idea maybe you should spend more of your time finding the aholes that stole me bike and less time huging trees your worse than a bunch of hippies.

true dat!

iv had plenty of my bikes stolen and have had none of them back

Posted: May 20, 2009 at 10:32 Quote
towers08 wrote:
dangggerboy wrote:

true dat!

iv had plenty of my bikes stolen and have had none of them back

I've had my race bike nicked...and although my local police where great when it happened(sent about 6 cars out looking) 2 months later, and nothing.

Posted: May 20, 2009 at 12:37 Quote
thats my point i feel like thay are bulling the poor trail builder while the real criminals are running free what up dont they have the balls to stop a couple of smack heads or gipsy's. I feel that we as a group are being victimised. And nothing will be said or done about all the motorcycles riding through there and the damage they cause.

Posted: May 20, 2009 at 15:28 Quote
dangggerboy wrote:
thats my point i feel like thay are bulling the poor trail builder while the real criminals are running free what up dont they have the balls to stop a couple of smack heads or gipsy's. I feel that we as a group are being victimised. And nothing will be said or done about all the motorcycles riding through there and the damage they cause.

this is so true!tup

Posted: May 20, 2009 at 15:30 Quote
It's some trees. Get over it. Start mountain biking and then you'll see where we're coming from.

Posted: May 20, 2009 at 15:31 Quote
I had two bike's stolen, got hold of the house address of where the bike woz been kept at and past it on to the police..............got no where!

two week latter my mate crabed the scumbag of my bike and got it back for me!

still one bike down!

Posted: May 20, 2009 at 15:52 Quote
not really the place to moan about stolen bikes,southyorkshirepolice seem to be putting out warnings to people before they damage stuff and get wrong for it.

yes it is supposed to be a free country but there are areas we should not ride and be respectful of others around us,but then again thats like asking people not to do quote pyramids and use msn slang.

Posted: May 21, 2009 at 4:40 Quote
SouthYorkshirePolice wrote:
Thank you for the replies,

your welome mucka Wink

It would be easier for the land owner to simply ban cycling in the woods.

why not, then we can all come and hang about outside your house instead Beer

The point of contact at Conisbrough SNT is PC1781 Paul France, who would be happy to answer your questions. Contact details in the OP.

are you pc france? and whats the "op" ?

...and lastly the fine for impersonating a Constable is
Six months imprisonment and / or a fine not exceeding level five on the standard scale. (£5000)

i guess you'd better watch out then mucka lol

Posted: May 21, 2009 at 6:22 Quote
Damage to woods, as far as I'm aware when the new line was built the only plants that became dammaged was "WILD GARLIC" and if its rare someones not looking hard enough because theres loads in the woods.

The "race" was just a time trial with local riders, a change to the normal weekend ride. This event was also attended the south yorkshire police.

Posted: May 21, 2009 at 6:36 Quote
I work at Natural England, I get shit from riders when Track and Jumps get closed =[

Posted: May 21, 2009 at 7:09 Quote
Was talking to some of the lads up there the other week about the problems they are having, just as we walked past a wall covered in grafiti, and then the remains of a burnt out rusting car, and then got dog shit on my tire...... how on earth is this compliant with SSSI bullshit?! theyre off their head! Its somethin to do for anyone who wants to join in! Simply pathetic!

Posted: May 21, 2009 at 7:40 Quote
Ha, not even damaging the woods to be honest, there have been trails there for years. All they have done is built a couple of new ones and to be honest, the police should be chasing after the c*nts on motorbikes who f*ck up those woods more than us.

Since the new stuff has been built there, it has brought the local biking comunity together, the bikers look after the wood as their own, they clear rubbish and don't leave any signs other than a couple of dirt tracks.

I f*cking hate conservationists, there is absolutely nothing special about that area, in fact, it's not even included in the SSSI because its on the wrong side of the river. If the bikers weren't there, it'd just be full of burnt out cars and crack adicts....we're doing them a favour. c*nts.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013402
Mobile Version of Website