Damage at Near Cliffe Woods, Conisbrough, Doncaster

PB Forum :: Downhill
Damage at Near Cliffe Woods, Conisbrough, Doncaster
Posted: May 21, 2009 at 13:17 Quote
rolto1822 wrote:
NaturalEngland wrote:
The information below will answer some of the questions you may have :

*snip*

It is also a criminal offence under section 34 of the Road Traffic Act 1984 (as amended) if a motor vehicle is upon any land other than a road including a footpath, bridleway or restricted byway. This offence will be dealt with by the police by issuing a fixed penalty notice or a prosecution in the Magistrates Court up to £1000.

Erm... a bike isn't a motor vehicle so this section of your essay is rather unnecessary... as for riding being illegal, what part of riding there is illegal? Or is it the building trails? (which coincidentally is not actually riding)

Lmao owned!

O+
Posted: May 21, 2009 at 13:18 Quote
NaturalEngland wrote:

What is the law protecting SSSIs?

SSSIs are protected by law under Section 28 of the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 (as amended by Schedule 9 to the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 and Section 55 of the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006) in order to conserve and protect these unique areas for the benefit of present and future generations and are a vital part of our natural heritage.

Right, well what if what "future generations" want, is actually not to stare at flora and forna, and actually get out and exercise, like the government is so keen on promoting!

Posted: May 21, 2009 at 13:36 Quote
First of all i'd like to point out that its not the polices fault (If that is a police account, im skeptical) They're not doing it they are warning you. Arrest is a bit heavy and is a bit sad arresting kids for riding they're bikes when they could be focusing attention on more important things. Finally whats the point of having protected land if you can't enjoy i bet not that many people even go there!
Its such a joke you find somewhere good to build and pikeys of hikers horse riders etc
like its said before they complain kids are becoming obese (anything we try and do we get shot down) STOP BIKING, JOIN A GANG!

O+
Posted: May 21, 2009 at 13:47 Quote
jimap123 wrote:
First of all i'd like to point out that its not the polices fault (If that is a police account, im skeptical) They're not doing it they are warning you. Arrest is a bit heavy and is a bit sad arresting kids for riding they're bikes when they could be focusing attention on more important things. Finally whats the point of having protected land if you can't enjoy i bet not that many people even go there!
Its such a joke you find somewhere good to build and pikeys of hikers horse riders etc
like its said before they complain kids are becoming obese (anything we try and do we get shot down) STOP BIKING, JOIN A GANG!
Obviously! If biking is so illegal we can join the majority of citizens in Acton, and become chavs who mug, stab or shoot people for looking at them the wrong way (or even just because they're there)! Frankly if THE LANDOWNER has a problem with bikers being there, it's up to them to deal with it! It's a waste of police time telling a bunch of kids to get out of a forest when frankly what else is there to do?? If a reasonable alternative were to be offered, then it would be a much more effective way of handling something like this, not with £20,000 fines and arrest threats at a bunch of kids, even I know that's not the way to go about this.
May i suggest something? Maybe if there is a problem, the landowner or employee thereof, come and TALK to those in question! Speech is a powerful thing still! We don't want to become like the states now do we? Where no-one can bike or skateboard without the cops on their backs? Loosen up mate... back in the day there would have been no problem with riders there, and since you are keen on conservation, how about you actually think about conserving the visitors, as well as just the mud!

Posted: May 21, 2009 at 14:05 Quote
NaturalEngland wrote:

Natural England is here to conserve and enhance the natural environment, for its intrinsic value, the wellbeing and enjoyment of people and the economic prosperity that it brings.

It is not Natural England's intention to prevent the responsible enjoyment of the countryside and we try to balance the needs of the environment and wildlife against the use and enjoyment of the countryside by the public. However digging up a SSSI to construct trails and jumps, cutting down trees and vegetation, creating pits and large areas of compacted soil and holding competitions that leave large amounts of litter is damaging to the woodland.

What is a Site of Special Scientific Interest?

Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) represent the very best of the rich variety of wildlife and geology that makes England’s nature special and distinct from any other country in the world. There are over 4,100 SSSIs in England covering over one million hectares, which is about 7% of England’s land area.

SSSIs are protected by law under Section 28 of the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 (as amended by Schedule 9 to the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 and Section 55 of the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006) in order to conserve and protect these unique areas for the benefit of present and future generations and are a vital part of our natural heritage.

Why are they important?

Nearcliffe Woods, also known as Steetley Woods, are within Sprotbrough Gorge SSSI.
The woodland areas within Sprotbrough Gorge SSSI, which includes Nearcliffe Woods, are important for their calcareous ash-wych elm woodland (southern variant). Collectively the woodland areas on the slopes of the Gorge are among the top three best examples of this type of woodland in the county. Sprotbrough Gorge was declared a SSSI in 1988 to protect the wide diversity of trees, shrubs and wildflowers typical in this type of woodland.

What harm can bikes and vehicles have on this SSSI?

Natural England recognises that there are responsible bikers who are using lawful routes and not damaging SSSIs nor causing concern or disruption to anyone. However, recent construction of bike routes and jumps in this SSSI is causing serious damage to the woodland trees, to the woodland shrub layer, the ground flora and the soil structure. Bird species are possibly being disturbed and large amounts of litter are accumulating.

Is bike & vehicular use allowed on a SSSI?

Generally recreational & vehicular use on a SSSI will be classed as an operation likely to damage. This means that creating bike routes and jumps and using vehicles on a SSSI can only legally be undertaken with Natural England’s permission unless people are using a lawful route.

What is a lawful route?

A lawful route, such as a byway open to all traffic, is one which has been classified by a local authority for use by the public for activities such as walking, horse riding and motor vehicle use. Check with the local authority as to the status of the route.

What happens about activities on a SSSI without permission or on a lawful route?

Unlawful biking, recreational or vehicle activity on this SSSI is a criminal offence which can result in a fine in the Magistrates Court of a fine up to £20,000 or to an unlimited fine in the Crown Court.

It is also a criminal offence under section 34 of the Road Traffic Act 1984 (as amended) if a motor vehicle is upon any land other than a road including a footpath, bridleway or restricted byway. This offence will be dealt with by the police by issuing a fixed penalty notice or a prosecution in the Magistrates Court up to £1000.

Equipment & vehicles may also be seized.

i'm guessing your the same guy as SYP, for f*cks sake change the record mate all this repition is making you look a complete a*shole, how about some pro-active suggestions (if you are anything you say you are- which i don't belive) and quote some stats from MTB projects which are on sssi, which i know for sure exsist.most folk don't give a shit about threats, so how about some solutions and not problems or maybe just f~ck off tup

O+
Posted: May 21, 2009 at 14:27 Quote
mririefish wrote:
NaturalEngland wrote:

Natural England is here to conserve and enhance the natural environment, for its intrinsic value, the wellbeing and enjoyment of people and the economic prosperity that it brings.

It is not Natural England's intention to prevent the responsible enjoyment of the countryside and we try to balance the needs of the environment and wildlife against the use and enjoyment of the countryside by the public. However digging up a SSSI to construct trails and jumps, cutting down trees and vegetation, creating pits and large areas of compacted soil and holding competitions that leave large amounts of litter is damaging to the woodland.

What is a Site of Special Scientific Interest?

Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) represent the very best of the rich variety of wildlife and geology that makes England’s nature special and distinct from any other country in the world. There are over 4,100 SSSIs in England covering over one million hectares, which is about 7% of England’s land area.

Why are they important?

Nearcliffe Woods, also known as Steetley Woods, are within Sprotbrough Gorge SSSI.
The woodland areas within Sprotbrough Gorge SSSI, which includes Nearcliffe Woods, are important for their calcareous ash-wych elm woodland (southern variant). Collectively the woodland areas on the slopes of the Gorge are among the top three best examples of this type of woodland in the county. Sprotbrough Gorge was declared a SSSI in 1988 to protect the wide diversity of trees, shrubs and wildflowers typical in this type of woodland.

What harm can bikes and vehicles have on this SSSI?

Natural England recognises that there are responsible bikers who are using lawful routes and not damaging SSSIs nor causing concern or disruption to anyone. However, recent construction of bike routes and jumps in this SSSI is causing serious damage to the woodland trees, to the woodland shrub layer, the ground flora and the soil structure. Bird species are possibly being disturbed and large amounts of litter are accumulating.

Is bike & vehicular use allowed on a SSSI?

Generally recreational & vehicular use on a SSSI will be classed as an operation likely to damage. This means that creating bike routes and jumps and using vehicles on a SSSI can only legally be undertaken with Natural England’s permission unless people are using a lawful route.

What is a lawful route?

A lawful route, such as a byway open to all traffic, is one which has been classified by a local authority for use by the public for activities such as walking, horse riding and motor vehicle use. Check with the local authority as to the status of the route.

What happens about activities on a SSSI without permission or on a lawful route?

Unlawful biking, recreational or vehicle activity on this SSSI is a criminal offence which can result in a fine in the Magistrates Court of a fine up to £20,000 or to an unlimited fine in the Crown Court.

Equipment & vehicles may also be seized.

i'm guessing your the same guy as SYP, for f*cks sake change the record mate all this repition is making you look a complete a*shole, how about some pro-active suggestions (if you are anything you say you are- which i don't belive) and quote some stats from MTB projects which are on sssi, which i know for sure exsist.most folk don't give a shit about threats, so how about some solutions and not problems or maybe just f~ck off tup

Isn't it funny how that whole essay was copied word for word from here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15340819

all this "POLICE OFFICER" (who apparently has to frequent pinkbike rather than actually catching criminals all night long) had to do was a bit of googling... really smart there!

Yup threats are not the answer for anything! Maybe if you were out catching bike thieves then you wouldn't be so worried about people tearing up a few leaves!

Posted: May 23, 2009 at 13:48 Quote
ive read the whole thread, bit silly really. i agree that this 'pc paul' should indeed be spending his time thinking of greater ways to stop motorcyclists or horseriders in the woods!! horses alone generate more damage than 3 days riding on a downhill bike with mud tyres. (lets not even go into the flood damage)

have the police taken into account the amount of young people who have taken to the sport because of these local tracks? rather than them getting bored and joining this new generation of knife crime and drugs surely cycling is beneficial no?

oh and i did my research too, the top corner where the dirt jumps are is owned by the local company, the rest is traceable to a woman who now resides in the USA.

if im wrong about the ownership of the lower woods then........ ah well, but the last i knew what i have said is true.

Posted: May 23, 2009 at 14:03 Quote
Look, We had this exact same situation down south, what YOU RIDERS need to do is come up with a feasible plan, and present it to the landowners. its their land, and if its an SSSI, then your work is cut out for you, for sure, but its not the owners job to work it out, its yours. your all having a go at this police guy, but all he has done is come here and at least explain to you the situation! i think its disgraceful how youve treated him.

Posted: May 23, 2009 at 23:04 Quote
bsxracer wrote:
if near cliffe woods is an sssi area how come its not on the sssi website

http://www.sssi.naturalengland.org.uk/Special/sssi/searchresults.cfm?sssi_name=&frmcounty=1036

owned.lol

Posted: May 24, 2009 at 6:41 Quote
Muttley wrote:
Look, We had this exact same situation down south, what YOU RIDERS need to do is come up with a feasible plan, and present it to the landowners. its their land, and if its an SSSI, then your work is cut out for you, for sure, but its not the owners job to work it out, its yours. your all having a go at this police guy, but all he has done is come here and at least explain to you the situation! i think its disgraceful how youve treated him.

Thanks for the support. I've met a few of the above posters in person and have explained this to them.

Most of you at the woods this Sunday (24/05/09) will know that this is not a hoax and that there are genuine issues with the woods and there use.
Natural England,the Landowner and Police have visited the woods and have had a chat with those present.
As mentioned in the above quote it really is down to you the riders to come up with a plan to keep access to the woods. Other agencies will assist you, but cannot do it all for you.
Those I've met can see I'm not unsympathetic to the cause, and will help you in resolving the problems with future access.
For those taking issue with the OP (opening/original post) Please read it again, the issue is not people riding bikes through the woods, it's the people damaging the woodland habitat by creating new trails. That's the problem in a nutshell. It is unsustainable in these woods and it needed to stop. Initially through Police intervention, and long term through education. That's why the post was put out initially with further plans to speak to riders at the site this Sunday. The problem was explained by a rep from Natural England so you can see where they are coming from and what they are trying to protect.

The meeting was very positive and I can see that everone was enthusiastic about riding the woods and in trying to keep access. Self regulation may be the way forward to both prevent any further damage, and letting the already damaged woodland recover.
So over to you.......

Posted: May 24, 2009 at 6:43 Quote
Teejay05 wrote:
bsxracer wrote:
if near cliffe woods is an sssi area how come its not on the sssi website

http://www.sssi.naturalengland.org.uk/Special/sssi/searchresults.cfm?sssi_name=&frmcounty=1036

owned.lol

It is.
The site is Sprotbrough Gorge, area 10 on the map.

Posted: May 24, 2009 at 9:16 Quote
Yea sorry for that, I thought it was just a hoax. All sorted today and the future sounds good.

Big Grin

Posted: May 24, 2009 at 11:08 Quote
#Mr fish eats a big big slice of humble pie# sorry PC france Cry i won't be rude again (now we know your real Big Grin ) it was a good meeting Pimp

Posted: May 24, 2009 at 12:44 Quote
he still hasn't found me bike thoughCop

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019037
Mobile Version of Website