What annoys you when you're out building?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
What annoys you when you're out building?
Posted: Nov 3, 2020 at 8:00 Quote
Shieldsy94 wrote:
tom666 wrote:
We have some kids who are trying to build at our local trail who just have the worst etiquette.

We try to keep the trails so that they can be ridden by everyone. If there's a jump there's got to be a good route around, or it has to be rollable. Most of the jumps are flyouts - jump as far as you want.

These kids keep trying to build landings to the jumps which isn't necessary and means the features aren't rollable. They also place the landings way too close to the take offs - super easy to clear the entire landing they've built.

They also tend to leave huge holes next to the trail for people's feet and wheels and dogs to get stuck in

Preach. Our old trails from about 10 years ago have been took over by the local scrotes. Building jumps with exposed twigs, dig holes next to jumps etc and generally ruining the place. Quite sad cause it worked really well but too far gone now.

Sounds like the same scrotes we have haha

I think when you're like 13/14 years old you don't see the big picture at all. You're fixated with building a jump and you don't really see how it fits into the trail or the landscape as a whole. Only really thinking about themselves.

Luckily now that it's colder they seem to be less active.

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 at 1:03 Quote
When the tools break or don't work properly, or that the other building mates are just standing there and watching me dig up dirt

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 20:41 Quote
When people come and destroy your jumps because they "aren't safe". I also don't like when moles dig holes on the jump lines because it messes up ur speed.

Posted: Dec 8, 2020 at 17:25 Quote
I just heard this one the other day from the local 5th grade f*cktards at my jumps "Why didn't you have everyone in mind when you built these trails" and "cant you build somthing we can ride?" (talking about an 8ft gap that i made 2 years ago) These kids aren't riding two years ago and also, I'm gonna build whatever the f*ck I want to cuz its my spot!!! the thing that gets me the most heated though has got to be those stupid pricks that come over to your jumps, dont offer to dig, are asses to you and then threaten to rat out the spot if you tell them to get tf out. Yet another story I have is I see a nasty lycra-type old dude in the woods with his kid (whos like my age) both on $5000 bikes and tells his kid some shit jumping technique, they both case my landing, like HARD, comes over to me and tells me they are built improperly. I then clear the jump perfectly and he just straight up leaves,

TL;DR: Little kids f*ckingn w my jumps, And an old xc dude gets pissed cuz he cant clear my jumps

Posted: Dec 8, 2020 at 17:42 Quote
Ha! I have all those issues all the time. Well said!!

Posted: Dec 9, 2020 at 21:38 Quote
I thought this stream died 4 years ago! I'm so happy to see its been resected, but at the same time I'm pissed that these little trail groms are still out messing up the good stashes.
As it would turn out, the last decent trail I built traversed someone's land and they were none too happy about it, so I never went back. It was getting better by the day too. Oh well. There's always the next trail.

Posted: Dec 10, 2020 at 10:06 Quote
I just finished a 25ft hip last week and some local kids dammed up a creek that ran at the bottom of the landing. When the dam broke all the water and debris took out the bridge that was at the bottom of the landing. The moral of the story, don't build jumps near creeks.

Posted: Dec 10, 2020 at 10:18 Quote
I haven't built in ages man, due to lockdowns in UK quite a lot of bike parks have been shut, meaning my handbuilt local has been seeing crazy traffic, trails looks so tired, flat lips, flat corners, but there is no point in fixing anything while it's so busy as it will just get wrecked, gonna head out to some of my more secret spots to get my building fix sorted.

Posted: Dec 10, 2020 at 14:50 Quote
Due to covid restrictions though I've been stuck riding the trails out the back of my house. They're like a 5 minute ride from my back door. They're super flat and sub 1 minute long, but I've still been having a blast riding them whilst all the bikeparks have been shut. I made this little gopro edit

Views: 143    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

I grew up riding in these woods - I probably rode this track for the first time when I was like 8 years old - so it's cool to be back here in a way

Posted: Dec 15, 2020 at 20:34 Quote
By next riding season, my spot gonna be looking like a sidewalk lol

Posted: Jan 3, 2021 at 19:06 Quote
When you are working in the rain and an e-biker comes riding up the downhill trail you are working on and then asks if you can clear some trees that fell across one of the other trails.

Posted: Jan 3, 2021 at 22:41 Quote
spunmonkey wrote:
When you are working in the rain and an e-biker comes riding up the downhill trail you are working on and then asks if you can clear some trees that fell across one of the other trails.

I've literally been lurking this thread for years and this is the first post that made me physically cringe.

Posted: Jan 4, 2021 at 1:55 Quote
I have had folks ask me to make jumps smaller, I have had folks tell me I am selfish for building trails that ' not every one can ride ' , they always look at me confused when I ask them why they have not built one yet.
And also the opposite, I have had people ask me to build bigger stuff, meanwhile when I watch them ride my average stuff they are casing shit and making it all look like a double black diamond.
We have two areas at my local, a more open sandy side, and a loamy woods, loam woods are great in winter as they stay dry, but then some muppet comes along with a rake and takes it all away!

Posted: Jan 5, 2021 at 15:27 Quote
When people ride your fresh jump lines in the mud

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008669
Mobile Version of Website