Another day of working alone

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Another day of working alone
Posted: Jun 4, 2009 at 11:12 Quote
ddstuntjump wrote:
I build alone. In a lot of ways it's better. you get to build exactly what you want, for however long you want. Also, its at least twice as rewarding to invite your friends over to ride your sick trails that you built alone. They're like, "holy shit dude! you built this?" and its amazing and you get massive props. Razz

i raid construction sites to get wood for building bridges and stuff like that, taking it out of the dumpster. i do this at night cause people yell at you if they see you. its hard enough as it is walking the two miles with 50~ pounds of wood tied to a rickshaw on your bike twice a night. without the buddies that sometimes come it would be 8 trips a night every cuple weeks. thats a lot of work

Posted: Jun 4, 2009 at 15:38 Quote
Flatulant-Primate wrote:
I like working alone, i can make things how I want. If they dont like it thats their problem.

I have been working by myself on my DJ's for the last 2 years. I kinda like, its nice to have a few guys to help dig but other than that I like building on my own. I can do everything my own way, which is usually the best wayBig Grin Aha jokes

Posted: Jun 4, 2009 at 15:45 Quote
zhayne wrote:
ddstuntjump wrote:
I build alone. In a lot of ways it's better. you get to build exactly what you want, for however long you want. Also, its at least twice as rewarding to invite your friends over to ride your sick trails that you built alone. They're like, "holy shit dude! you built this?" and its amazing and you get massive props. Razz

i raid construction sites to get wood for building bridges and stuff like that, taking it out of the dumpster. i do this at night cause people yell at you if they see you. its hard enough as it is walking the two miles with 50~ pounds of wood tied to a rickshaw on your bike twice a night. without the buddies that sometimes come it would be 8 trips a night every cuple weeks. thats a lot of work
Well, looking at the positive side, youll get in good shape.

Posted: Jun 4, 2009 at 15:48 Quote
You are correct about that.

Posted: Jun 4, 2009 at 15:49 Quote
i ride alone

and its 100+ outside, last week got to 120 wich sucked big time!!!!!!!!

Posted: Jun 15, 2009 at 5:58 Quote
i build alone in my yard just cuz i build what i like and i seem to build it better and faster without any distractions in my way. so i like to build alone but you could always build a very small shed like 2 feet tall and keep your tools in there so you dont have to have that bag on you all the time.

Posted: Jun 15, 2009 at 6:11 Quote
or dig a hole and put a metal box inside, it costs some cash, but its harder to find, and steal

Posted: Nov 12, 2011 at 14:10 Quote
zhayne wrote:
but i suppose after thinking about it im kinda fine with it as long as they dont trash my jumps or leave trash lying around. i love building and working on trails in the woods. its peaceful and i just listen to my ipod and work
same but when my mate does decide to "help" is more talk or give me the axe and then buggers off and loses it Really Mad but my trail is coming on better now and im becoming more experienced and i can make the jumps to my liking, my line, no one else's just mine Smile if they don't like it they can build there own. Smile life's good! tup :Cool : Beer

Posted: Nov 13, 2011 at 2:12 Quote
I actually prefer building on my own alot of the time , tho it can be much harder work you get a better sense of accomplishment and what gets built is exactly what you had imagined and it's a great feeling when you invite them to ride what you built and they all thank you for the hard work and fun trails Smile

Some ones gotta build the stuff and if they can't be bothered some ones gotta step up and wreck their back !

Posted: Nov 13, 2011 at 2:13 Quote
JoeBaker wrote:
zhayne wrote:
but i suppose after thinking about it im kinda fine with it as long as they dont trash my jumps or leave trash lying around. i love building and working on trails in the woods. its peaceful and i just listen to my ipod and work
same but when my mate does decide to "help" is more talk or give me the axe and then buggers off and loses it Really Mad but my trail is coming on better now and im becoming more experienced and i can make the jumps to my liking, my line, no one else's just mine Smile if they don't like it they can build there own. Smile life's good! tup :Cool : Beer

+ many numbers Smile

Posted: Nov 14, 2011 at 9:37 Quote
I always build alone, my trails are "not legal", and I need to be able to move quickly if the authorities pay a surprise visit Frown

this is from early this morning in NW London where the weather was kinda screwy (thick fog and white light)

cleaning up the singletrack on a foggy NW London morning

Posted: Nov 16, 2011 at 11:15 Quote
i personally prefer building alone and will build whole days without even telling any of my riding buddies that i have started a new trail and also you can do it exactly as you want and since im the only one that seems to be able to build trails out of my riding buddies. the whole raiding building sites is so much fun (might even say its becoming a hobby)....@zhayne what tools are you using and yeah if i was you i would definatley invest in a safe box and bury it into the ground.

Posted: Nov 16, 2011 at 17:09 Quote
that looks really smooth....can i ask what tool you used to get it like that.....i am makeing a trail right now, for the most part the ground has been good but there has been alot of smoothing work to get it flat......mostly done with a big bladed hoe and rake...........

Posted: Nov 17, 2011 at 2:45 Quote
I find Heavy duty tarmac rakes are the tools for getting them smooth

Posted: Feb 20, 2013 at 19:31 Quote
I have to work alone. My one friend has good excuses because he is always busy. My other 2 friends were into biking for a good while. They still didnt like to build jumps but they did at a slow pace. The jumps they made were very small. After a while i surpassed their skill level and they began to do even less work and biking. My friend then got in a very stupid accident by falling into a small ditch... somehow he got severally hurt and got stitches. Since my 2 friends are wusses... they stopped riding all together. I still love to bike and push myself and also build. I need to wait for my busy friend to get some free time during the summer so we can get some work done. Recently i got in a accident when i was going down my neighbors driveway heading for a burm at the bottom. My front wheel slipped out on either ice or a rock and i slide for about 25 feet. Eventually... gravity and a truck brought me to a stop. haha. I got scraped up bad and there was a lot of blood but no serious damage. Since its the winter i have planned to take a little brake until the ground thaws to get back out there. This works out good for me so that i can heal and by that time i will be able to dig without getting a huge piece of permafrost. Cant wait to get back out there...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018154
Mobile Version of Website