Official Kamloops thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Kamloops thread
Posted: Aug 5, 2017 at 2:09 Quote
I reread.....missed the distinction between park and crown when the article mentioned no pedestrians/bicycles......

Posted: Aug 18, 2017 at 7:04 Quote
Hey!

Just moved to Kamloops (Valleyview) from Vancouver and I'm stoked to finally be out of the city!

Quick question on trail closures, is the KBRA Facebook page the best place to check for trail closures? Usually I use Trailforks, but it listed the Ranch as being open which was not the case as it has closed signs at the trail heads. I was wondering why people were looking at me like I was a douche as I was pedaling towards the Ranch...

I work from home, so can ride anytime. If anyone is keen to ride, shoot me a PM and it'd be great to meet up!

Thanks!

Devyn

Posted: Aug 18, 2017 at 11:29 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
I was wondering why people were looking at me like I was a douche

Well, are you?

Razz inquiring minds need to know dammit!
heehee

I'd go with a City website for park info or the News...but basically, not even walking offroad is allowed in City limits right now.
Crown land is open for hiking/bicycles...motorized can't leave the FSR's.....and being very careful parking would be prudent.
It is indeed "dry af" out there, as the kids would say.

Welcome...explore around...the terrain here is wide open, unlike the Coast...just pick hill tops and cow trails and go

reminds me...Harper isn't City...I'm not sure if they closed again or not...so definitely check that...it may be open to ride up there.

My fork just went in for warranty.

Posted: Aug 19, 2017 at 8:03 Quote
loopie wrote:
clapforcanadaa wrote:
I was wondering why people were looking at me like I was a douche

Well, are you?

Razz inquiring minds need to know dammit!
heehee

I'd go with a City website for park info or the News...but basically, not even walking offroad is allowed in City limits right now.
Crown land is open for hiking/bicycles...motorized can't leave the FSR's.....and being very careful parking would be prudent.
It is indeed "dry af" out there, as the kids would say.

Welcome...explore around...the terrain here is wide open, unlike the Coast...just pick hill tops and cow trails and go

reminds me...Harper isn't City...I'm not sure if they closed again or not...so definitely check that...it may be open to ride up there.

My fork just went in for warranty.

Haha, well accepting that I'm a douche would be the first step, but I'm not ready to accept it yet.

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to use that moving forward. Heading out for couple weeks for my honeymoon, so fingers crossed for a bit of precipitation while I'm away!

Posted: Sep 10, 2017 at 8:46 Quote
Does anybody know if there's someone or some bikeshop's giving mtb training or clinics in kamloops?

My sister is currently studying in Kamloops and she like's to give mountainbikeing a go, since she is pretty much in mtb paradise.

Thanks!

Posted: Sep 10, 2017 at 9:53 Quote
Talk to Mike at Spoke Bike and Ski

Posted: Sep 10, 2017 at 10:21 Quote
Or Cheryl at Cafe...I believe they rock some womens riding group/s

Posted: Sep 10, 2017 at 12:34 Quote
There is a great womans group called dirt chix. Check them out on facebook. She will need her own bike and helmet though. Talk to Dana Heyman.

Posted: Sep 18, 2017 at 10:02 Quote
New to this forum. I recently moved to Westsyde (currenty studying at TRU), went for a hike near Ida Lane and saw some trails getting worked on. I'd be happy to lend a hand to dig if anyone in this forum knows the builders. PM if so.

Posted: Sep 18, 2017 at 10:07 Quote
mrandt wrote:
New to this forum. I recently moved to Westsyde (currenty studying at TRU), went for a hike near Ida Lane and saw some trails getting worked on. I'd be happy to lend a hand to dig if anyone in this forum knows the builders. PM if so.

Hey man...

I live in westysde and ride up there regularly. The area is called "deep lake" or grasslands trails. the trail builders are all about 14/15 years old. They are doing a pretty good job but some of the stuff is sketchy! Enjoy but check it out first!

Posted: Sep 19, 2017 at 14:40 Quote
criscokid25 wrote:
mrandt wrote:

Hey man...

I live in westysde and ride up there regularly. The area is called "deep lake" or grasslands trails. the trail builders are all about 14/15 years old. They are doing a pretty good job but some of the stuff is sketchy! Enjoy but check it out first!

Haha! I thought so. The trails were marked so I thought they were legit. A little more elbow grease would make the line pretty sick. Are there any other trails of that kind around Westsyde area?

Posted: Sep 27, 2017 at 7:56 Quote
mrandt wrote:
criscokid25 wrote:
mrandt wrote:

Hey man...

Haha! I thought so. The trails were marked so I thought they were legit. A little more elbow grease would make the line pretty sick. Are there any other trails of that kind around Westsyde area?
Not really. I use the Deep Lake trails as a way to just get out when I don't have time to get to Pineview, the ranch etc. Its not really a bike trail but its better than nothing. There are some amazing trails out near Jameson Creek though.

Posted: Sep 27, 2017 at 7:58 Quote
New FREE kids racing event!

We’re back and this time at Harper Mountain Oktoberfest!
Free for kids
Location: Harper Mountain Lodge (follow dirt road to the end)
Pre-race group ride: 9:35
Races: First heat: 9:45 (3 heats based on age)
Strider events also on site (games and fun)
Awards: 10:45

Categories
Boys/girls: 7 and 8 years old. 1 lap
Boys/girls: 9 and 10 years old 2 laps
Boys/girls: 11 and 12 years old 2 laps
We will have a play area and relay race set up for younger kids too

If you have already registered for a kids league event, then all you need to do is check in and get a number plate and CamelBak kids league bottle and CLIF Bar goodies.

Please arrive early if you need to register. You will need to fill out 3 forms. (Or buy a membership online in advance on www.bikekamloops.com and show us the confirmation email) Kids register free but you can support us through the purchase of a family membership.

We can always use more people on course cheering on the riders. Bring your noise makers, posters and positive vibes!

Volunteers welcome! If you would like to help out, let us know.
Look for the Red Kamloops Bike Riders Association Tent when you arrive to get signed on.
If you have any questions, be sure to message us!
Thanks again to all our supporters!

NRI Distribution Ogilvie Mountain Holdings Save-On-Foods BC Parks Kamloops Performance Cycling Centre Bicycle Cafe Kamloops Spoke N' MotionDistrict Bicycle Co. Cycle Logic Clif Bar @Camelbak @Kamloops Bike Riders Association

Posted: Sep 27, 2017 at 20:40 Quote
I will be in Kamloops in a couple days. Are their trail closures in effect? I am not sure if I will have a car. Do I need one? I have to leave in a few hours and am not packed yet so not sure if I can even bring a bike. Anywhere that rents? If I can bring it will be a Devinci Atlas. 120mm front / 100mm rear. Is that useful for any of the riding around there? Not all sheer faces right?

Summary
(1) Trails open?
(2) Car needed?
(3) Bikes available for rent?
(4) Aggressive XC bike useful or overmatched by trails?

Thanks!

Posted: Sep 27, 2017 at 22:31 Quote
1) yes
2) you can pedal to bike ranch and a few other trail networks from most locations in the city
3) spoke n motion rents plus hardtails and i believe district cycles has some demo bikes available.
4) aggro xc bikes are perfect for many of the local trails

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018525
Mobile Version of Website