Official Kamloops thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Kamloops thread
Posted: Jan 7, 2014 at 22:07 Quote
My experience when rolling into to town and needing work done, The Cafe dropped everything to get me riding that day. They were knowledgeable and competitive in price to Vancouver so I didn't feel like I was being taken because I was a tourist.
Really all it boils down to is where are you living and do you want to start a relationship with the closest shop or are you looking to play each shop against each other for your dollars. I like my Bikeshop to be like a "Cheers Pub" kind of place so I can drop by anytime and know people there and they know me enough to hook me up.

Posted: Jan 7, 2014 at 23:36 Quote
erikwyattatmedotcom wrote:
My experience when rolling into to town and needing work done, The Cafe dropped everything to get me riding that day. They were knowledgeable and competitive in price to Vancouver so I didn't feel like I was being taken because I was a tourist.
Really all it boils down to is where are you living and do you want to start a relationship with the closest shop or are you looking to play each shop against each other for your dollars. I like my Bikeshop to be like a "Cheers Pub" kind of place so I can drop by anytime and know people there and they know me enough to hook me up.

True that!
Besides the trail, the LBS should be one of the cool laces to comeBeer

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2014 at 1:06 Quote
+1 for the cafe.

They seem to understand the totally addicted rider. I can't count how many times they've gone over and above to make sure downtime is minimized or non existent.

Posted: Jan 8, 2014 at 9:58 Quote
Thanks guys that was the kind of info I was looking for. I might try the cafe even tough they are the farthest from me and i'm already coming from out of town.

Anyone else have an opinion about wheel builds?

Posted: Jan 8, 2014 at 13:41 Quote
The other option is get on YouTube and learn to lace a wheel yourself. $10 for a good (park brand) spoke wrench. And with disc wheels today really you don't need to worry too much about dishing (or having a dish tool) and a stand can be made very simply (I made a stand out of wood in highschool wood shop in '95 and had it till two years ago when my wife bought me a nice park stand for Christmas)
Wheels certainly are not rocket science. And building your own has some real meaning when you are ripping down a trail on wheels you built. :-)
Further to my suggestion of the cafe is that I haven't dealt with full boar in over 15 years so I can't say what they are like these days (but very good then) and I think it's spoke-n-motion (or something like that) I've never been there out of lac of opportunity only.

Posted: Jan 20, 2014 at 12:32 Quote
New to this thread, might be getting a job transfer to Kamloops. I never have come up to ride in Kamloops and surrounding areas. If I do get the job I dont know anyone in the area. Is there a good group of people who shuttle and stuff?
Been looking for places on Craiglist for places to rent but doesnt have a good selection... Anywhere you guys can suggest I look?
Pretty stoked to have the chance to finally ride RIO and the Ranch.

Posted: Jan 25, 2014 at 18:40 Quote
BurkeW wrote:
New to this thread, might be getting a job transfer to Kamloops. I never have come up to ride in Kamloops and surrounding areas. If I do get the job I dont know anyone in the area. Is there a good group of people who shuttle and stuff?
Been looking for places on Craiglist for places to rent but doesnt have a good selection... Anywhere you guys can suggest I look?
Pretty stoked to have the chance to finally ride RIO and the Ranch.

Hey...rentals in Kamloops this time of year are super hard to come by. TRU students have made renting both expensive and sparse. Kjiji seems to be a good source for rentals. Also check out any facebook pages that have something to do with kamloops (buy and sell, guy and sell, buy, sell and swap etc).

As far as finding a crew to ride with...there are so many riders here doing some many things that you should be able to hook up with someone to ride with. Great place to start are the bike shops. Most have a shop ride or two planned through out the week. Great place to meet some peeps and find the goods trail wise.

Good luck with your transition to the loops. Even though this thread is pretty slow, the scene here is sic and the riding is world class. Peace.

Posted: Jan 25, 2014 at 18:41 Quote
I did a quick loop in Batch today and it was sketchy at best. Come on sunshine and warmer temps!

O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2014 at 1:08 Quote
There's a nice loop above pineview thats well packed down by atv's right now. It's a slog to the top but the rip down is sweet if you're rolling on studs!

Posted: Feb 10, 2014 at 8:41 Quote
Hey

Anyone out in the kamloops area that wants a set of all day lift passes for sunpeaks? Good for feb 18 (Monday) selling for 100$ for the pair. I'm out boarding that weekend and can't use my Monday pass now.

Posted: Feb 20, 2014 at 17:50 Quote
Planning to visit in April, any recommendations for AM rides? Looks like mostly DH and shuttle riding in Kamloops from what I gather...

Posted: Feb 20, 2014 at 20:21 Quote
Nshore3 wrote:
Planning to visit in April, any recommendations for AM rides? Looks like mostly DH and shuttle riding in Kamloops from what I gather...

I can hook you up with a am guide if you want? throw me an e-mail and I'll connect u

moniquethemountainbiker@hotmail.com

Posted: Feb 20, 2014 at 20:23 Quote
Anyone know how bone collector looks? do not think anything else would be avail yet, ranch maybe?? have a bunch of kids with massive spring fever...lol...

Posted: Feb 20, 2014 at 23:50 Quote
Nshore3 wrote:
tonnes of am/xc riding in the loops buddy. not huge alpine stuff but so many sweet rides! you will not be disapointed. talk to Q or any shop in town and they will show you the goods.

Posted: Feb 22, 2014 at 10:48 Quote
Last year was a crazy busy year for biking in the loops, we were booked 4 times more than normal, this year is looking on par for the same, stoked!!! but brings me to issue that I can't guide them all. I will be looking for some guys that are interested in getting paid to bike, on a on call basis. Both am and dh guides are needed, I pay $20.00 per hour for a guide. I usually know well in advance, but get a fair bit of last min requests too, so you need to be flexible, if you have a truck for shuttling, bonus, I pay $30.00 an hour for your truck. if interested, send me your info to moniquethemountainbiker@hotmail.com.

Side note for the Williams Lake area, if you know of someone interested in a shuttling gig, I have a contract for you.

cheers all...bring on 2014 shred.....woot woot

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014077
Mobile Version of Website