Front end cracking noise

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Front end cracking noise
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 22, 2009 at 17:01 Quote
Ok well when im riding there is this cracking noise when I slam my front break on our do and nose mannual, also when im riding trails every few seconds you can hear it. I just got a new head set and it didnt make much of a diffrence wheat could this be. Thanks

Posted: May 22, 2009 at 17:21 Quote
Definatly check the headtube areas for cracks, also check your bars and stem are properly tightened.

Believe this or not check tht (if you have lock on grips) they are tightened too, i had a wierd noise like tht and it turned out to be my grips!

Just chek all the bolts are tightened to the correct torques

Posted: May 22, 2009 at 17:24 Quote
Basically just check all the parts on your front end section by section and find out what the noise is

Posted: May 22, 2009 at 17:25 Quote
yea i should of just said tht!

Posted: May 22, 2009 at 18:08 Quote
alright maybe fork bushings?
zanginator wrote:
yea i should of just said tht!

Posted: May 22, 2009 at 18:15 Quote
check to make sure you havent snapped your headset bearing races, and that the headset is all nicely compressed.

Posted: May 22, 2009 at 18:33 Quote
check the stem and bars first. i had a stem that made it sound like the fork was snapping, but it was actually the top two bolts being too tight and the bottom ones way too loose (on the stem). make sure you swapped the bearing race on your fork for the new headset.

just check your entire front end over.

Posted: May 22, 2009 at 19:43 Quote
ya i did no cracks in the frame just got a new head set put in today but maybe my stem bolts are too tight? ya it cant be my head set but ya when i do a endo/nose manny it makes several cracking noises but all check every thing over again.
odin333 wrote:
check the stem and bars first. i had a stem that made it sound like the fork was snapping, but it was actually the top two bolts being too tight and the bottom ones way too loose (on the stem). make sure you swapped the bearing race on your fork for the new headset.

Posted: May 22, 2009 at 19:48 Quote
transitionrider66 wrote:
ya i did no cracks in the frame just got a new head set put in today but maybe my stem bolts are too tight? ya it cant be my head set but ya when i do a endo/nose manny it makes several cracking noises but all check every thing over again.
odin333 wrote:

i had the same thing the bolts in my stem were rusted out and when i got a new stem the noise stopped.

Posted: May 22, 2009 at 19:48 Quote
my stem is a 09 diety fanton like 4 mounths old
the-k-man wrote:
transitionrider66 wrote:
odin333 wrote:

i had the same thing the bolts in my stem were rusted out and when i got a new stem the noise stopped.

Posted: May 22, 2009 at 19:52 Quote
transitionrider66 wrote:
the-k-man wrote:
transitionrider66 wrote:

then you might have to re tighten all the bolts equally, if not your head tube may be ovalized in which case you are f*cked.

next time you are riding listen to the noise and try to find where it is coming from.

Posted: May 22, 2009 at 20:11 Quote
my lbs gave it a full tune up which includes a saflty check and the head set is snug and from what i can see no ovalization. P.S it is a 08 bottlerocket with a 1,5 oversized head tube I dont think its going any were.
the-k-man wrote:
transitionrider66 wrote:
the-k-man wrote:

then you might have to re tighten all the bolts equally, if not your head tube may be ovalized in which case you are f*cked.

next time you are riding listen to the noise and try to find where it is coming from.

Posted: May 22, 2009 at 20:13 Quote
Check your axle!

Posted: May 23, 2009 at 9:11 Quote
im gonna screw around with things today like putting diffrent bars and stem axles. gonnna put my backup fork on just a 66vf see if it dose any thing
daaneel wrote:
Check your axle!

Posted: May 23, 2009 at 9:52 Quote
transitionrider66 wrote:
im gonna screw around with things today like putting diffrent bars and stem axles. gonnna put my backup fork on just a 66vf see if it dose any thing
daaneel wrote:
Check your axle!

By axle i meant the thing that goes through your hub

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010260
Mobile Version of Website