Front end cracking noise

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Front end cracking noise
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 21:00 Quote
ya i might get it later to help resell of my precious bottlerocket thanks tho
qwiksand99 wrote:
transitionrider66 wrote:
you are 100% right just did that test and it makes the exact noise so where do i go from here how do i replace it
qwiksand99 wrote:
I would almost bet 100% that it is a loose crown.....happened to my 66. Brought it back to marzocchi, since I live real close, and they put a new crown on at no charge with no warranty and it fixed the problem, and rebuilt my 888 I bought used at no cost. Great customer service. The way to test for the crown being loose: stand in front of your bike, hold the front wheel between your legs real tight so it cant move, and then try turning the handlebars to the left or right. If you hear that cracking or popping sound when you do this, it's the crown.

I win!! well, according to marzocchi, it won't affect anything by riding it, it's not unsafe or anything like that, just annoying. I know exactly how annoying it was, and couldnt stand it, but I only live about an hour from 'zocchi. To tell you the truth, I had the crown replaced and I think it's already starting again Confused after just a few rides....Not sure if it would be worth it to pay for shipping and all that and then have it happen again. I think it's just the way the damn 66 is gonna have to be. Give em a call if you want.

O+
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 11:54 Quote
transitionrider66 wrote:
qwiksand99 wrote:
transitionrider66 wrote:
you are 100% right just did that test and it makes the exact noise so where do i go from here how do i replace it

I win!! well, according to marzocchi, it won't affect anything by riding it, it's not unsafe or anything like that, just annoying. I know exactly how annoying it was, and couldnt stand it, but I only live about an hour from 'zocchi. To tell you the truth, I had the crown replaced and I think it's already starting again Confused after just a few rides....Not sure if it would be worth it to pay for shipping and all that and then have it happen again. I think it's just the way the damn 66 is gonna have to be. Give em a call if you want.

I did the crown test as you wrote but heard nothing. I might not be the crown then, god thanks. I would not want to find myself buried with face in dirt on a landing after my fork snapping under me. Ill try to recheck and grease the bars and stem, hopefully it will work. if not, it still might be the headset, even if its quite new. But still better than a loose steerer tube.

Posted: May 27, 2009 at 16:52 Quote
i dont have loose sterrer tube just uper crown is loose i emailed marizochi and they said i can warrenty it if its in 2 years warrenty but im the seconde owner so i would need to get the recipt
tidli wrote:
transitionrider66 wrote:
qwiksand99 wrote:

I did the crown test as you wrote but heard nothing. I might not be the crown then, god thanks. I would not want to find myself buried with face in dirt on a landing after my fork snapping under me. Ill try to recheck and grease the bars and stem, hopefully it will work. if not, it still might be the headset, even if its quite new. But still better than a loose steerer tube.

Posted: May 28, 2009 at 2:57 Quote
what if it came on the bike?

Posted: May 30, 2009 at 23:07 Quote
bigquotesJust tried that now, still no change. I can actually hear that my crack is coming from the lower head tube / forks area, not so much the cockpit.

Are you absolutely certain that the crown race on this fork is intended to be used with the headset? Is it possible that the crown race is upside down or that the bearings on the lower side of the cup are inverted or were installed with no/minimal grease? Try loosening the top cap and stem bolts to pull the fork's steerer out an inch or so... get some decent grease in there and make sure you put some oil/grease on the stem bolts when you reassemble. Try holding the front brake with no pressure on the fork and then try to rock the front end back and forth while looking VERY closely at the bottom cup/fork connection. I bet that there's a problem with grease, parts orientation or the crown race.

Good luck.
A

O+
Posted: May 30, 2009 at 23:22 Quote
qwiksand99 wrote:
I think it's just the way the damn 66 is gonna have to be.

Posted: May 30, 2009 at 23:26 Quote
i dont know if this has been said but the spring inside could be cracked/broken. Just open up the top caps and take a look at them. It could also be the spring hitting against the inside of the stanchion.

Posted: May 31, 2009 at 9:48 Quote
Dude you've got 6 pages of input and if you still cant figure out the problem just take it to your lbs

Posted: May 31, 2009 at 17:04 Quote
ya i found myproblem about a page ago its loose crown, marz said its not unsafe to ride just anouhing might take the upers,crown,sterrer tube off my back up 66vf fork and put them on the 66rc2x.
daaneel wrote:
Dude you've got 6 pages of input and if you still cant figure out the problem just take it to your lbs

Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 7:56 Quote
I've found out what the cracking is on my Demo 7. The threads on the skewer are too short which is stopping the front wheel from being tight. The shop I got the bike from have phoned Marzocchi and they are replacing the skewer free of charge. But it is going to take 3 weeks to get it and I have been advised not to ride the bike Frown

Posted: Jun 4, 2009 at 18:52 Quote
mattyb94 wrote:
I've found out what the cracking is on my Demo 7. The threads on the skewer are too short which is stopping the front wheel from being tight. The shop I got the bike from have phoned Marzocchi and they are replacing the skewer free of charge. But it is going to take 3 weeks to get it and I have been advised not to ride the bike Frown

Glad you figured it out. I'm not sure I understand what this looks like but it sounds like you're all good now. Just curious... is the spring still there with the skewer?

A.

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 10:18 Quote
Ok, so I waited 3 weeks without my bike to get the front axel replaced and my bike is stilling making the stupid cracking sound. Taking my bike to the shop again on Saturday and will probably end up with another long stint without my bike.

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 10:26 Quote
i hate my bike making any sort of noise wat so ever well apart from the squelsh my suspension makes
its just a case of simple process elimination every part off one by one greased and re fitted id do EVERY part of your front end chances if one part is "dry" more will be too

as mentiond previous id check for cracks too just to be safe

i must say im quite suprised by by how many people get all there spannering done by there lbs do it yourselves its funn and just think about how many pimp shiney bits you could buy with the money you save!!

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 10:39 Quote
I don't get charged because it is the shop I go the bike from so it good Smile There shouldn't really be any cracks on my forks as the noise has been there since I got the bike. Unless they are faulty and have had a crack in since new. Also it was serviced when they ordered the new axel and they said at first it may have been something dry as you described but that was the first they they tried.

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 11:15 Quote
Its not a crack, its most likely the crown making noise, it needs to be replaced. I have been riding mine this way for months, it will not fail, but its very annoying.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015020
Mobile Version of Website