Post your Santa Cruz Bullits!

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Post your Santa Cruz Bullits!
Posted: Apr 15, 2015 at 8:40 Quote
Nice bike! you'll love the 55 fork! at 159 pounds id try a 400x2.80 fox spring. dont worry about sag TOO much, worry more about getting full stroke when you're riding without bottoming out. for me its about 20% sag.

Posted: Apr 15, 2015 at 9:19 Quote
whitebullit wrote:
Nice bike! you'll love the 55 fork! at 159 pounds id try a 400x2.80 fox spring. dont worry about sag TOO much, worry more about getting full stroke when you're riding without bottoming out. for me its about 20% sag.

Thanks for the help whitebullit - i'll get that spring ordered!! Yes 20-25% sag was my aim. I was only getting 5% with the spring that came on the bike (600x2.25).
The forks are actually Marzocchi 66 Bombers (180mm travel), and they feel really smooth, haven't had the bike out for a proper downhill run yet, just some local trails. It certainly isn't the best for climbing but it cruises down the way.

Thanks for the help

Posted: Apr 15, 2015 at 9:32 Quote
whitebullit wrote:

Not at home right now but just realised that the fox vanilla r stroke must be 2.25", i'm sure i measured 2.5" but can't see 2.5" as an available size on the Mojo website - does that change the spring you recommended?

Posted: Apr 15, 2015 at 13:09 Quote
yea that will change it the 2.80 may not fit the smaller stroke. with a 2.25 stroke youre only getting around 6.5 inches of travel. in the future you can go up to a 2.75 stroke on a 03 or later bullit, which changes things up quite a bit, id reccommend at least going to 2.5 for stroke. generally speaking if the shock stroke is 2.5 then the springs stroke must be equal to or greater than the shocks stroke. for example a 2.25 stroke spring wont allow full travel out of a 2.5 shock. hope this helps!

Posted: Apr 15, 2015 at 13:18 Quote
whitebullit wrote:
yea that will change it the 2.80 may not fit the smaller stroke. with a 2.25 stroke youre only getting around 6.5 inches of travel. in the future you can go up to a 2.75 stroke on a 03 or later bullit, which changes things up quite a bit, id reccommend at least going to 2.5 for stroke. generally speaking if the shock stroke is 2.5 then the springs stroke must be equal to or greater than the shocks stroke. for example a 2.25 stroke spring wont allow full travel out of a 2.5 shock. hope this helps!

That definitely helps - thanks,now to get a spring!!

Posted: Apr 17, 2015 at 9:07 Quote
Santa Cruz Bullit

My Santa Cruz Bullit with RockShox Lyrik

Posted: Apr 17, 2015 at 19:35 Quote
ciechan wrote:
Santa Cruz Bullit

My Santa Cruz Bullit with RockShox Lyrik
Sweet! Creepy background

Posted: May 10, 2015 at 8:30 Quote
Hi guys wonder if you can help me here.

LOOKY

I got a free frame w/shock and forks from a friend who used to ride at whistler back in the day. He doesnt need it anymore now hes got a vitus so its mine, as im too cash strapped to get a decent enduro bike! it hasent been ridden in a few years though.

So... i need your help, to find parts and get this thing running, as im still a newbie riding a carerrra hardtail!

What i know about it...
-2002 santa cruz bullit large
-some sort of shimano deore xt shifters 2 x 9 speed
-hayes nine hyd disc brakes (no pads, needed obviously)
-north shore xs race face forged crankset, missing the bolt on - the non drive side (need to find a replacement)
-some sort of fox coil shock, long travel 180???
-some sort of thompson seatpost
-old school funn stem, know nothing else about it
-marzocchi forks, dont know model unfortunately
-wtb laser front wheel, 200mm disc, with some sort of 9mm - 20mm adaptor axle kit

So, this is my project.

So i need a wheel for the rear,its a 9mm axle apparently but as you can see, the non drive side of the frame is very worn so i might need some sort of work done in there! any suggestions what i should do there anyone? you can see in one of the photos that the guy put in some spacers to move the brakes out a bit to account for this! he also said he ran a 2 x 9 cassette drivetrain setup aswell.

As i said the front forks are a marzocchi forks model i dont know, they take a 20m axle of sorts which i have. There are some sort of locking clamps on the forks on the bracket where the axle goes of which i am missing for one side. i need to source this or get one machined myself (ive access to cad, being a design engineer) i dont know yet wether i need to replace the brakes or shifters /derailiuer. But what i do need is a chain. Any tips on figuring out how to get it to the right length?

Im going to take apart the forks and try and service them/lube them up, but they work perfectly. What should i do with the shock, anyone know much about it? Should i take this to a shop for a service first? id prefer to do as much myself as possible any other details you guys wanna know just ask!

All help appreciated and suggestions on what to keep or replace!

Also, im still a newb at bike stuff so be nice! Keep in mind i also want to get her running on as little money as possible!

Thanks guys

Posted: May 12, 2015 at 12:28 Quote
just a quick question... I'm not exactly sure if this is normal but the back wheel seems to be "loose" and rubbing against the frame and the chain tensioner, even though everything including the bearings and clamp are tight.

i also noticed that the legs that hold the wheel probably isn't the best design, so i am starting to think that maybe it could just be a design flaw.

Why is this doing this and how can i fix it??

Posted: May 12, 2015 at 12:53 Quote
not a design flaw, bullits are perfect. your hubs probably loose or trashed. bring it to your local bike shop and theyll have it diagnosed in minutes.

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 4:04 Quote
I'am looking for a dropper post for my bullit, has anyone any solutions for the wierd 28,6 mm saddepost? Now i'am looking to buy a 27,2 dropper and use shims to get it to fit.

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 4:10 Quote
eriklanden wrote:
I'am looking for a dropper post for my bullit, has anyone any solutions for the wierd 28,6 mm saddepost? Now i'am looking to buy a 27,2 dropper and use shims to get it to fit.

thats your only option. for me its not worth shimming one, save yourself the 300+$ and put it towards a newer frame

Posted: Jul 10, 2015 at 3:07 Quote
Iam looking at some cheap Ebay dropper-post, as you say, not worth 300$. Antother question, iam running the bike with an Marzocchi 66 SL, can be set to 150mm -> 170mm with different air pressure, it it worth buying a angelset to slack the steering tube down to say around 66-67 degrees, or will it be fine with the 68C it is?

I will use the bike as a trail/all mountain, maby som bike parks (twice a year)

If I want to buy a angleset, is there a set that fits the Santa Cruz Bullit from 2006 with the old 1 1/8 steering tube?
Any suggestions where I can buy this?

Posted: Jul 10, 2015 at 4:40 Quote
the bullit doesnt have the most modern geo but ive never wanted more head angle, as for a 1 1/8 angleset im not sure if anyone makes one. i think youll be just fine w/out it. i run a 170mm fork with an oversized rear shock, this steepens the head angle, i dont mind it a bit and i use my bullit for everything from xc rides to light freeride.

Posted: Jul 28, 2015 at 1:17 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj147/plagiarist_orig/bulit_1.jpg

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008323
Mobile Version of Website