Will a 05 marin riftzone take the abuse?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Will a 05 marin riftzone take the abuse?
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 23, 2009 at 16:06 Quote
hi i was wondering if a marin riftzone from 2005 will last abuse from a downhiller? it only has 100 mm of suspension and i was thinking about getting it.

http://velospec.com/bikes/marin/riftzone-2005

it looks pretty nice but im not sore it is ok to jump and downhill on. will it be ok at northstar?

my current bike is a 44lb norco that isnt very practical for riding around. other than at a resort.

Posted: May 23, 2009 at 16:23 Quote
I'm not a downhiller by any means... but I think it will be able to take some abuse from downhill trails. Fox forks... i think are pretty good, dont quote me on that though.

Posted: May 23, 2009 at 16:59 Quote
having a fox fork doesnt mean that it will hold up at northstar

Posted: May 23, 2009 at 17:10 Quote
It will not take ANY downhill abuse. And will not last long for jumping.

Posted: May 23, 2009 at 17:11 Quote
so it would be strictly for cross country use?

Posted: May 23, 2009 at 17:14 Quote
what do you think a good deal on it would be? it seems like it has pretty nice parts.

Posted: May 23, 2009 at 17:22 Quote
Parts are average, not overly awesome imo. And it's 4 years old.
If it was in really good shape I would only pay ~$600 for it.
That said, I'm not an XC kinda guy.

Even if it was running a 36talas and dhx5 air with some super light high end spec... it's still a shite frame.Confused

Posted: May 23, 2009 at 17:25 Quote
its not that bad of a frame, have you ever ridden an older marin frame, or are you just saying that

Posted: May 23, 2009 at 17:31 Quote
I have yet to ride a Marin, period.

I am using my rather educated opinion to make an assumption based on the the age, type, and design of the frame.
It looks exactly like my old norco, and countless other shitty bikes out there.

Posted: May 23, 2009 at 17:32 Quote
and what norco was thaat? ive ridden the other frames with more travel and they feel great so i dont know why your saying they suck

Posted: May 23, 2009 at 17:36 Quote
No clue, honestly. Some old norco xc/commuter rig.

I don't see why you're getting defensive about the subject.
You asked if it's DH/DJ worthy, I said no it's nothing special. Frame is a dull unresponsive SP, a spec that isn't overly light, strong, or high end(granted the shock isn't half bad really).

Seeing as you're just going to start getting mad because of this face... Have fun finding something you won't break.
/unsubs

Posted: May 23, 2009 at 17:41 Quote
Unhallowed wrote:
I am using my rather educated opinion to make an assumption based on the the age, type, and design of the frame.
It looks exactly like my old norco, and countless other shitty bikes out there.

And at the same time, it looks VERY similar to the high end SP bikes (Orange is the main brand that comes to mind).

Just becaue it looks similar to a shitty bike that you have seen, doesn't mean anything.

Stop posting out of your ass on a subject that you know nothing about.

Posted: May 23, 2009 at 18:38 Quote
thanks signorvince the old marins actually feel pretty nice dont they?

Posted: May 23, 2009 at 18:41 Quote
why does the rear end look similar to orange bikes? are they both designed ny john white?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.061951
Mobile Version of Website