Best full sus for sub-1000?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Best full sus for sub-1000?
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 25, 2009 at 10:06 Quote
Sorry for the noob thread, but I am a bit of a newbie..!

Yeah, just in the process of choosing a bike to get. I'm pretty settled on the NS Central II 2008 hardtail (DJ/FR and some XC) but haven't really looked into full sus bikes. I did some XC yesterday at Mabie Forest up in Scotland and loved it! So I'd like to look into full sus bikes before I go ahead and buy a bike (mid-July most likely).

Any suggestions? Or do you think the NS would do fine for everything?

Ash Smile

PS: Really am sorry for the newbie thread!

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 10:08 Quote
cant get a good full sus for less than 1000

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 10:08 Quote
Oh well, that was easy Razz

FL
Posted: May 25, 2009 at 10:09 Quote
are you more pushed towards xc or dj/fr as theres a world of difference between them too but for either but i would advise buying a full sus as freeride wunt be too pleasant on a HT and also get some rockshox u-turn forks as then you have adjustability

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 10:11 Quote
Well if your into the more DH side of things I would definitely look into a full sus. A hardtail is much harder to ride for DH but if your new to riding then riding a hardtail for a couple of years will benefit you greatly. The NS is a very good bike for DJ but I'm not too sure about DH and XC.

I would recommend looking at the NS Core. Much more versatile bike that will fulfil your needs Big Grin

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 10:13 Quote
Well, I'm not sure if you know of these places (7stanes in Scotland) but I ride Glentress Freeride park (lots of tables, wallrides, dropoffs, etc.) and went to Mabie Forest yesterday (17km red [difficult] XC trail) and it rocked. Was on a friends Gary Fisher HT Razz It wasn't that bad doing it on a HT really.

But yeah, I'd probably say FR. I know XC bikes are lighter. I'm looking to do more FR/DJ stuff definitely.

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 10:20 Quote
Just so you know, this is what I had originally planned on getting:
NS Central II 2008

Then upgrading:
Forks to Argyles/Pikes or something.
New front wheel- Hope Pro 2 laced to ex721s perhaps
New back wheel- NS MKII Roller Pro also to ex721s
And also maybe hydro brakes.

Do you think that would do me nicely for DJ/FR/light XC?

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 11:11 Quote
ashp wrote:
Just so you know, this is what I had originally planned on getting:
NS Central II 2008

Then upgrading:
Forks to Argyles/Pikes or something.
New front wheel- Hope Pro 2 laced to ex721s perhaps
New back wheel- NS MKII Roller Pro also to ex721s
And also maybe hydro brakes.

Do you think that would do me nicely for DJ/FR/light XC?

Sweet, Glentress looks insane, might be going with mate this summer Big Grin

Sick build man, good for what riding you will be doing Big Grin

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 11:40 Quote
Yeah Glentress is awesome! Very well built and there's a bit of everything for everyone!

And thanks! I'm pretty sure it'll hold out for what I want to do! Probably won't be getting new forks for a while though, but want to upgrade those wheels pretty soon/when they break! Razz

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 10:35 Quote
Are specialized bighits good?

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 10:45 Quote
big hits are great Smile

diamondback xts moto, giant glory or commencal supreme mini dh.... if you can find them used they may be able to come down into your price range and they're all good bikes with scope for upgrade

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 10:47 Quote
What about this?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Specialized-Big-Hit-Expert-2004_W0QQitemZ150344479739QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

It is a 2004... but looks pretty nicely done up? I dunno, may not even be the right size for me. I'm about 6ft2.

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 10:48 Quote
only i didn't realise you wanted it for dj... big hits may be a bit much for that

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 10:59 Quote
Ah fair enough Smile

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 13:54 Quote
Pasty wrote:
big hits are great Smile

No they're not. As AlCapone marvellously put it:

bigquotesthey turn like boats and have the stability of an autistic baby.

While they're not dreadful, you can do better, and if you're as beginner as I think you are, get a hardtail, as someone said, it'll do you good for a year or two. If you start of on a fully, you learn to rely on suspension too much and that's not a good thing. Go for the hardtail you've chosen, it's a good solid all-round choice, get a nice variety of riding in and go from there.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011106
Mobile Version of Website