J hop help

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
J hop help
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 16:21 Quote
Before i start with my question I'VE ALREADY LOOKED THROUGH MULTIPLE THREADS AND STILL NEED HELP. ok so when i j hop i pull the the bars into my body and then level out but i cant get any higher. how do the pro's hop so high? do i need more speed or do i need to jump with the bike after that part? help please!

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 16:27 Quote
What you want to do, is pull BACK as hard as you can and jump straight up in the air, don't pull up, just to clarify.

I can bunny hop high, and all there really is to it is upper body strength, practice, practice and more practice.

Do your normal hops harder then you usually do them, and pick the bike up real close to your junk.

When i was starting out all the neighborhood kids called them bronco's.

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 16:27 Quote
As you raise the bike right before you level out (while the back tire is on the ground) you should begin to jump. This jump is the most important part in getting the height. Your timing, balance and jumping ability will determine how high you j-hop.
photo

You can see in the first frame where he is just about to jump.
(pic isnt mine i just found it in photos)

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 16:29 Quote
so if u can jump high (on your feet) can u hop higher?

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 16:30 Quote
Try exercising your J-hop muscles Smile

Some people say to just ride round street and hop onto everything in sight, up and off curbs etc, until your arms just ache. It'l give you better upper body strength and you'l start hopping higher Smile

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 21:10 Quote
It really bugs me when people call them j-hops. It's been called a bunny hop since the beginning of time. Then a few years ago some guy decided to start calling them j-hops. God knows why. I just had to get that off my chest.

To bunny hop higher, you need to bring your front end up higher. The higher you front wheel is, the higher your back wheel will be. It's hard to explain, but you need to start hopping before you tuck. bring your front wheel up as high as you can, then start hopping strait up on the back wheel, THEN start to tuck. It'll give you an extra bit of pop from your hop.

Really though, the best way to learn how to bunny hop higher, is to just practice.

Posted: May 27, 2009 at 13:28 Quote
lettusdude wrote:
It really bugs me when people call them j-hops. It's been called a bunny hop since the beginning of time. Then a few years ago some guy decided to start calling them j-hops. God knows why. I just had to get that off my chest.

To bunny hop higher, you need to bring your front end up higher. The higher you front wheel is, the higher your back wheel will be. It's hard to explain, but you need to start hopping before you tuck. bring your front wheel up as high as you can, then start hopping strait up on the back wheel, THEN start to tuck. It'll give you an extra bit of pop from your hop.

Really though, the best way to learn how to bunny hop higher, is to just practice.
Isn't a bunny hop when both wheels go off the ground at the same tire, where as a j-hop you go front wheel first?

Posted: May 27, 2009 at 13:41 Quote
connorridesbmx wrote:
lettusdude wrote:

Isn't a bunny hop when both wheels go off the ground at the same tire, where as a j-hop you go front wheel first?
that would be correct^^^^ i find it easier to jump higher when you have a set height you wanna jump ex. garbage can

Posted: May 27, 2009 at 16:20 Quote
lettuce dude i totaly got agree with bunny hop not some stupid j hop crap and for getting better i find doing this drill a good practice: stand beside your bike grab the bars as if you were riding and just practice the motion of the bunny hop with your arms------- pull up on the front and level it of and land, over and over until your comfy with it (good work out for the arms) XD

Posted: May 27, 2009 at 19:26 Quote
A bunny hop is front wheel then back. Both wheels at the same time is just bad technique. Like I said, it's been called a bunny hop since at least the 60's. Only in the last few years have I heard people call them j-hops. I've only ever heard it on forums. No body in Edmonton calls it a j-hop, and we have the 2nd biggest BMX scene in Canada(Next to Vancouver, of course).

Posted: Aug 15, 2010 at 8:06 Quote
lettusdude wrote:

buddy bunny hop both wheels come up at the same time and its called a jhop because ur hands are making a j formation

Posted: Aug 15, 2010 at 8:31 Quote
Just put risk involved, go try hopping over bar high stuff while pedaling really fast at it... you will learn to hop Razz

O+
Posted: Aug 15, 2010 at 9:28 Quote
Ever since I started WAY back it was called a bunny hop -- RL, Buff, Haro used to do it like a 'j-hop' and it was always called a bunny hop. Anyways...

the most important thing for getting height is to jump with your legs more. Pull up on the bars and then jump really hard and then push and tuck-- you will get way more height than you're used to. Then you just need to work on strength and balance to keep it all in control.

Posted: Aug 15, 2010 at 13:40 Quote
dk-rider9 wrote:
lettusdude wrote:

buddy bunny hop both wheels come up at the same time and its called a jhop because ur hands are making a j formation
Sorry but No...
A bunny hop is not when both wheels come up at the same time(nice sentence structure BTW).Have any of you who are confused out there ever watched a bunny rabbit jump?They lift their front end first then pull up in the back. Hence the name "bunny hop" Telling someone they need to pull up on their front end in a "J" formation to school them how to "bunny hop" may be helpful but that still doesn't constitute the need to call a trick that has a name something else. Facepalm

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012251
Mobile Version of Website