How to remove a rounded bolt?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How to remove a rounded bolt?
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 at 5:55 Quote
rounded bolt = hack saw a slit into it and use a screw driver
rounded allen key = bash in the next size up key in with a hammer and use as normal.

much easier than drilling out

Posted: Jun 20, 2009 at 5:55 Quote
robbie7127 wrote:
Use a Ezy Out, you can buy them at any tool store for a few bucks (Canadian tire has them) follow the instructions, basically you use your drill to get them to bite the stripped bolt, then reverese the drill and it unscrews them, real easy and so simple.
edit - Oh see your from the UK, Halfords will probably stock them, or B&Q

Agreed!...the only way!

O+
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 at 16:11 Quote
giv it to a shop thaat way u can blkame the shop for messing it up and then you wont have to pay for a new one if they mess it up. well in theory

Posted: Aug 14, 2009 at 16:42 Quote
last time i used super glue i found an old Allen key i didn't need. then put super glue in the rounded bolt and let the Allen key dry inside of it. it held on pretty well. but it might not work on a brake pad.

also make sure your using the right type of tool for it. sometimes on avids they will put torx and allen bolts on the same product which is just confusing.

Posted: Jul 19, 2010 at 3:32 Quote
hey i rounded a bolt on the outside of my lock on girps ! how do i get them off

Posted: Jul 21, 2010 at 13:42 Quote
a big hammer

best bet is to drill it out. then use either an easy out or some other form to get into the core then spin it out.

Posted: Jul 21, 2010 at 14:07 Quote
For those small lock on bolts, try hammering in the next larger allen key. The metal on those bolts is pretty soft.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009611
Mobile Version of Website