Thorn resistant tires

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Thorn resistant tires
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 18:49 Quote
On the local trails my buddy and I ride we regularly get these thorns almost like a thick pine needle that puncture the tire and tube. Would switching to dual plys help? I really dont want to add that much weight but its getting annoying. Whats everybodys take on the tubes with sealant in them?
Thanks

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 18:52 Quote
im not too big on slime since it tends to seal the hole until you try to land off something. also, dual ply tires just use two different types of rubber, they arent any thicker

Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 18:57 Quote
NWray wrote:
a broom?

I hope your not hinting at sweeping the trailConfused

Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 18:58 Quote
i have the exact same problem.. i get like 2-3 flats a week

Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 18:58 Quote
jmsxtreem wrote:
im not too big on slime since it tends to seal the hole until you try to land off something. also, dual ply tires just use two different types of rubber, they arent any thicker

for some reason I was thinking that was dual compound and that dual ply had an extra layer.

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 19:05 Quote
You should try a Stan's No-Tubes set. I swear by them! Slap that on and a decent DH tire and all your problems will be solved. I have used that recipe for three years now and I have only had two flats in that time. Both occurred after many, many rides when the sealant had been eventually all used up.

Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 19:10 Quote
I have these "No-Flat" strips lining the inside of my tire. It's basically like a non-sticky plastic tape that you put in your tire before your inner tube. Now the only flats I get are pinches, and I've solved that by putting in like 1 lbs thorn-less tubes. Confused

Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 19:12 Quote
GordonShread wrote:
You should try a Stan's No-Tubes set. I swear by them! Slap that on and a decent DH tire and all your problems will be solved. I have used that recipe for three years now and I have only had two flats in that time. Both occurred after many, many rides when the sealant had been eventually all used up.

can you give me a link to exactly what your talking about?

Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 19:23 Quote
i live in a desert type environment and we get these things called goat heads everywhere. they grow on a little vine thing on the ground and get stuck in the bottom of your shoes and tracked into the house where they get stuck in the bottome of your feet.

anyhow i have thorn-proof DH tubes plus slime, plus heavy ply FR tires. heavy as hell but can run over anything i want with no probs.

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 19:47 Quote
SillyFast wrote:
GordonShread wrote:

www.notubes.com

Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 19:49 Quote
GordonShread wrote:
SillyFast wrote:
GordonShread wrote:

www.notubes.com
Found that just after I postedSmile My rims are pretty new so I hate to blow money on that. Think I will try some thornproof tubes, maybe a heavier tire.

Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 20:29 Quote
SillyFast wrote:
GordonShread wrote:
SillyFast wrote:

www.notubes.com
Found that just after I postedSmile My rims are pretty new so I hate to blow money on that. Think I will try some thornproof tubes, maybe a heavier tire.

?? you can use your pretty new rims still u just have to get the stans rims strip that has the air valve on it.

Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 20:31 Quote
i use slime and i go at least six months without flats after putting that shit in

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009476
Mobile Version of Website