BMX Beginner Info - Discussion about WEIGHT for BMX bikes

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
BMX Beginner Info - Discussion about WEIGHT for BMX bikes
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 6, 2009 at 22:29 Quote
So I was in a new bike store the other day and sat on a BMX for the first time in about 10 years. Holy Hell that thing was heavy. It was almost as heavy as my ridiculously strong Perp 1 (currently running around 38 lb), but half the size.

I rode it around a bit and found the weight unwieldy and generally did not enjoy the experience. It was probably a rather cheap entry level bike, the guy didn't have a price listed and I wasn't inclined to ask.

But it did get me thinking.

I did a bit of reading on here in the BMX forums and noted quite a bit of banter about light bikes.

But there are also plenty of guys kicking about on some pretty damned heavy BMX bikes. I've seen people mention 30-35 lbs, stating that the added weight provides stability.

So I thought it might be a useful thread to discuss the ROLE of weight and from that, help beginners to determine more accurately what their actual needs are.

Here are some questions that can help direct the conversation, but don't feel obligated to answer all of them or stick to them directly.

Question #1 - Is lighter better?

Question #2 - How light is light?

Question #3 - How light is too light?

Question #4 - How heavy is too heavy?

Question #5 - What types of maneuvers are well-suited to heavier bikes and what are better suited to lighter bikes?

Question #6 - What are some good weight tradeoffs? Things that are worth getting even though they make a bike heavier...

Question #7 - What are some of the best parts to upgrade to reduce weight with little sacrifice?

Question #8 - What parts are good to look for in beginner bikes that might actually be worth keeping instead of upgrading?

Question #9 - Is there a correlation between the ideal weight of the rider and the weight of the bike?

Question #10 - Are there any examples of good frames (and their weight) that are affordable or well suited to beginners who may want to ride the frame for a while, but upgrade parts later?

Posted: Jan 16, 2011 at 18:22 Quote
eschelar wrote:
So I was in a new bike store the other day and sat on a BMX for the first time in about 10 years. Holy Hell that thing was heavy. It was almost as heavy as my ridiculously strong Perp 1 (currently running around 38 lb), but half the size.

I rode it around a bit and found the weight unwieldy and generally did not enjoy the experience. It was probably a rather cheap entry level bike, the guy didn't have a price listed and I wasn't inclined to ask.

But it did get me thinking.

I did a bit of reading on here in the BMX forums and noted quite a bit of banter about light bikes.

But there are also plenty of guys kicking about on some pretty damned heavy BMX bikes. I've seen people mention 30-35 lbs, stating that the added weight provides stability.

So I thought it might be a useful thread to discuss the ROLE of weight and from that, help beginners to determine more accurately what their actual needs are.

Here are some questions that can help direct the conversation, but don't feel obligated to answer all of them or stick to them directly.

Question #1 - Is lighter better?

Question #2 - How light is light?

Question #3 - How light is too light?

Question #4 - How heavy is too heavy?

Question #5 - What types of maneuvers are well-suited to heavier bikes and what are better suited to lighter bikes?

Question #6 - What are some good weight tradeoffs? Things that are worth getting even though they make a bike heavier...

Question #7 - What are some of the best parts to upgrade to reduce weight with little sacrifice?

Question #8 - What parts are good to look for in beginner bikes that might actually be worth keeping instead of upgrading?

Question #9 - Is there a correlation between the ideal weight of the rider and the weight of the bike?

Question #10 - Are there any examples of good frames (and their weight) that are affordable or well suited to beginners who may want to ride the frame for a while, but upgrade parts later?

Posted: Jan 16, 2011 at 21:03 Quote
Not gonna answer all these, BUT. A good weight is around 25-27 lbs. for a complete. My custom bmx is about 23.75 lbs, because I prefer strength over weight. I've ridden bikes that were 21 lbs, and they felt ...weird to me. They felt too flimsy. (probably because they are. lol)
Weight doesn't really matter that much. I can't hop any higher than I could when my bike weighed 30+ lbs.
A lighter bike WILL feel different than a heavier bike, but it doesn't make much difference in your ability to learn tricks.

Posted: Jan 16, 2011 at 21:16 Quote
good 25-27
light 19-23
it cant really be to light i love mine at 25
30 + is to much
ticks are easyer if your bike is lighter
mine is wtp trust its reasonable price and i love it its 25 lbs

Posted: Jan 17, 2011 at 7:39 Quote
Question #1 - Is lighter better? - light is definately better

Question #2 - How light is light? 20- 24lbs in tht area

Question #3 - How light is too light? someone at my local was running a bike at 18lbs!, i think 21lbs is as light as you should go

Question #4 - How heavy is too heavy?depends what your doing, ive a tad heavier bike better for dirt, but like 27-28lbs is pretty heavy to me

Question #5 - What types of maneuvers are well-suited to heavier bikes and what are better suited to lighter bikes?whips are easier with a light bike for sure but not sure what are better with heavier bikes

Question #6 - What are some good weight tradeoffs? Things that are worth getting even though they make a bike heavier...the thing is u can have a heavy bike and it could be completely custom, mines about 22lbs and i havent intentionally made it tht light but its the parts ive bought, if u buy stuff u like the look off then the weight will vary but if ur a weight whore and go for everything light ull look at the weight for everything

Question #7 - What are some of the best parts to upgrade to reduce weight with little sacrifice?, forks, cranks, bars, rims, even crank spindles, hub axles and ti bolts here and there

Question #8 - What parts are good to look for in beginner bikes that might actually be worth keeping instead of upgrading?chromo forks bars, frame, sealed hubs and a sealed crank set

Question #9 - Is there a correlation between the ideal weight of the rider and the weight of the bike?i think that if u cant lift a heavy bike then u need to build up tht muscle aha, but if u can throw about a light bike easy its up to u, bmx is all personal preference, some people ride 20lbs bikes, some pros even prefer there bikes heavier just because its how they used to have it when they were younger

Posted: Jan 17, 2011 at 9:46 Quote
Weight isnt really a problem, lighter helps, but id rather be riding some thing i trust and wont break than some thing that is stupidly light but will snap on me.

The average weight for a BMX these days is about 25lbs, & you will be pushed ( assuming you are buying good quality parts) to build a bike over 28 lbs Smile

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006452
Mobile Version of Website