Just snapped my chain. Now what?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Just snapped my chain. Now what?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 7, 2009 at 21:30 Quote
Okay so today I snapped my Sram PC-971 chain and I have been searching the forums and found that Sram chains are very brittle. So now I'm wondering what chain I should go too. I have a full sram drivetrain(X.9, PG-970 Cassette, Holzfeller cranks/chainring) so I need something that goes well with these.

Im looking for something relativly cheap, strong and smooth.

Thanks for the Help

Posted: Jun 7, 2009 at 21:35 Quote
You could try going to a Shimano chain, but Sram chains tend to work better with Sram componentry.

Posted: Jun 7, 2009 at 21:39 Quote
skatefreak282 wrote:
You could try going to a Shimano chain, but Sram chains tend to work better with Sram componentry.
Thats why im asking for help. I was thinking about KMC but I know nothing about there chains.

Posted: Jun 7, 2009 at 21:42 Quote
beaterhard wrote:
skatefreak282 wrote:
Thats why im asking for help. I was thinking about KMC but I know nothing about there chains.

Well your Sram cassette is Shimano compatable so you could go with a Shimano LX HG-73 chain. It is 9 speed and will run you about $25.00. Unless you were looking to spend more? And KMC's aren't the greatest chain. I've snapped a few myself and had to change out many of them at my shop. They make a good BMX chain, but not much else.

Posted: Jun 7, 2009 at 21:44 Quote
beaterhard wrote:
Okay so today I snapped my Sram PC-971 chain and I have been searching the forums and found that Sram chains are very brittle. So now I'm wondering what chain I should go too. I have a full sram drivetrain(X.9, PG-970 Cassette, Holzfeller cranks/chainring) so I need something that goes well with these.

Im looking for something relativly cheap, strong and smooth.

Thanks for the Help

DO NOT GET A SHIMANO CHAIN they are the shittiest peices of crap ever...its breaks like a cracker...i have a sram pc-951 and i love it...never buy a shimano chain...just get another sram chain..TRUST ME

Posted: Jun 7, 2009 at 21:48 Quote
i run the fsa team issue chain and it has lasted me a long ass time get one, u will not b dissappoointed.

Posted: Jun 7, 2009 at 22:12 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/31089.jpg in purple!

Posted: Jun 7, 2009 at 22:20 Quote
just cause you snapped your chain doesnt mean its the chains fault or your fault. chains can get stretched which causes them to break and same with your drive train. just get a 971 or 951. a chain is a chain unless you want to save weight if you race a lot then get a hollow pin. but overall just get a cheap chain it will pretty much last you just as long as any other chain.

Posted: Jun 7, 2009 at 22:26 Quote
I feel your pain. I've been through a few chains. Had a cheap KMC it broke in about 2 months. Switched bikes. . . race face crank, 990 cass, x7 derail and used the 991 chain. The sram 991 was far superior than the cheap KMC. I broke the 991 in about 5 months. I just bought a 25 dollar KMC and like it as well if not better than the 991. Haven't used it very long but it seems nice. Sorry I don't have the KMC part number. That's my chain experience so far. Good luck!

Posted: Jun 7, 2009 at 22:29 Quote
bordom wrote:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/31089.jpg in purple!
Half links dont work with derailleurs

Posted: Jun 7, 2009 at 22:34 Quote
u buy a new one...

Posted: Jun 7, 2009 at 22:34 Quote
I've never had any experience with actually breaking chains, but from my experience Shimano chains are inferior to SRAM chains. The Shimano chains I've had on about 4 bikes all rusted very quickly, and I did take good care of them. I have an SRAM PC-991 CrossStep (the CrossStep is the heavy duty version of the normal 991) and it's been great. Hasn't broken in 2 seasons of heavy downhilling and not a but of rust at all.

Posted: Jun 7, 2009 at 22:39 Quote
OK chains break from time to time, all of my broken chains have been shimano, and always at the replacement pin. I have never broke a sram chain atleast not yet, and I am running a sram 89R hollow pin hollow link road chain on my DH bike and its still going strong.
photo

I am not saying that sram chains don't break, just that I haven't broke one yet.
The weak spot in a chain usually occurs when a pin is pushed out and either pushed back in or replace with a replacement pin.
Sram will work better with Sram stuff and shimano chains will work but the differance is small and mainly just that the mix will be noisier than then an all sram set up or an all Shimano set up.
You have to remember that the two things that wear out fastest on your bike are chains and cables if you replace both at least once a year things should be trouble free

Posted: Jun 7, 2009 at 22:42 Quote
just get a chainlink tool and a master link then fix it.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.100628
Mobile Version of Website