Biceps!

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 9:14 Quote
dmanj wrote:
all core training is going to do is give you insane balance not a whole lot of strength. you should train your whole body regardless otherwise your going to look a little out of proportion. having huge biceps and no triceps or a super strong core but no arms or legs.

core training does give youo good balance but it also provides a base for developing other muscle groups especially around the spine i.e you cant get incredible abs without abdominal core strength because you wont be able to cope with the reps needed. like i said earlier-you dont really need to worry about "proportion" because the body does that for you... you wont get big triceps or biceps without working on your legs just as much because the body has to be balanced. I guarantee you will NEVER see someone with 18" biceps and say 10 or 12" calf muscles and tiny triceps-it just doesnt work like that. so like you say.. yeah work the whole body. but not to worry about proportion but because you have to to achieve significant gains. Unless you get bicep implants-but if you do that you need a bloody brain implant too.

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 9:16 Quote
tomwtom92 wrote:
I think this guy's video's are pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961

yeah those vids are very good. He has done it all naturally aswell so he knows alot

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 9:33 Quote
if you want big, good looking muscles lift weights low reps high weight, if you want practical musle that you'll use do high reps with medium weight

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 20:37 Quote
l00cas wrote:
dmanj wrote:
all core training is going to do is give you insane balance not a whole lot of strength. you should train your whole body regardless otherwise your going to look a little out of proportion. having huge biceps and no triceps or a super strong core but no arms or legs.

like i said earlier-you dont really need to worry about "proportion" because the body does that for you... you wont get big triceps or biceps without working on your legs just as much because the body has to be balanced. I guarantee you will NEVER see someone with 18" biceps and say 10 or 12" calf muscles and tiny triceps-it just doesnt work like that. .

i beg to differ. maybe not to those dimentions but i've seen plenty of out of proportion guys. its obvious they only train the groups they see in the mirror. my gay friend is like that and after a year at the gym he looks rather odd - all chest and bi's while shoved into skinny jeans, lol. and at the gym i seen big guys that can bench 3 plates a side but wouldnt know what a dead lift is and you can tell it.

i agree that total body stress will release more growth promoting chemicals but over time a narrow focus will still over develop muscle groups in relation to the rest of the body.

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 at 7:09 Quote
shreddermcgee wrote:
if you want big, good looking muscles lift weights low reps high weight, if you want practical musle that you'll use do high reps with medium weight

im guessing when you say 'musle' you mean muscle not muesli. all muscle is practical lol you couldnt get through your day to day life without it theres no way you cant use muscles either.

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 at 10:58 Quote
no man my gym teacher did some big thing about how those really really big muscle men guys are usually not as strong as someone who has smaller muscles but trains them properly

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 at 11:10 Quote
The strongest men in the world have high body fat in relation to high muscle density. The fat acts as an interlacing web to hold the muscle together under high strain. Bio101. To achieve higher balance through muscular training, small, dense pockets of muscle work best which is achievable with, as shrddermcgee very nicely pointed, high reps with medium weight. The body inserts more muscle into the available space, increasing density, but removing the fat. The relatively low fat to muscle ratio improves stability and endurance but sacrifices overall strength.

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 at 18:51 Quote
shreddermcgee wrote:
no man my gym teacher did some big thing about how those really really big muscle men guys are usually not as strong as someone who has smaller muscles but trains them properly

pro-body builders dont really train for anything but muscularity. when on the stage one cares how much they can max 1 rep bench. it just so happens that heavy training results in muscle growth

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 at 18:55 Quote
Play drums. Or just ride bmx alot.

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 at 20:41 Quote
Ilovelife wrote:
Play drums. Or just ride bmx alot.
that will give you endurance and not a whole lot of muscle

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 at 20:59 Quote
By this post, it sounds like your not someone who spends all their time at the gym, which it fine. At home, you should do core exercises like isometric plank, bicycles, leg lifts, supermans. Throw in pushups which are amazing exercises the work a lot of parts of your body if you want to look sexy. Come up with a lunge routine and do some calf raises for your legs, and tricep dips with a chair for sexy arms. For biceps, its hard to do anything for free. I would recommend a pullup bar. You can put together a really good home workout that doesn't really take too much time or money. You won't get extra jacked like if you lifted at a gym but its easier.

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 at 3:51 Quote
pull-ups, just loads and loads of pull-ups, it'll target other muscle groups as well and can be done on anything pull-upbarlikeSmile

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 at 7:39 Quote
If you're looking for a straight bodybuilding type program you should check out www.t-nation.com. They have some great articles on arm training written by some guys who know more than the average muscleheads you read in most magazines. Just like performance training you can systematically use proper load and exercise selection to accomplish your goals.

If you are looking to add some size in a "functional manner" then the advice to get strong on your pulling movements is good. Your biceps are designed to assist with pulling movements and you get much more muscle recruitment from them doing heavy pulls than you will with direct bicep work. Get strong on your chin ups to where you can bang out a couple sets of 5 reps with 50 pounds strapped to you and I guarantee your arms will be much bigger and your upper back stength will help you a lot on your bike.

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 at 7:53 Quote
Well for me I like to get down to business carrying logs, chopping wood and pulling a sleigh all in some frozen part of Russia

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 at 12:16 Quote
Get a punching bag and beat the shit out of it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022003
Mobile Version of Website