Singlespeeed/fixed Handlebars

PB Forum :: 29ers
Singlespeeed/fixed Handlebars
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 12, 2009 at 13:24 Quote

I am going to SS my Peugeot for commuting, but want to have more of a flat or riser bar instead of the drops. Can I just use a MTB riser, or are there some specialty bars for this? Or alternatively, has anyone used mustache bars and can provide feedback on them?

Posted: Jun 15, 2009 at 22:03 Quote
no special rules exist on what handlebars to use, just use whatever's comfortable, unless you want to be really cool, then a good rule of thumb is to use a set of flat bars that is no wider than the screen of your macbook. and i mean totally flat bars, with flared grips. in all seriousness though just try a few different things out, i use easton monkey bars and i'm pretty sure they're a fairly aggressive MTB bar, but they work for me. you will want something a little more narrow for road use though as it definatey is more stable at speed, but wider means more maneuverable.

edit: you could also take off your existing bars, put them on upside down, and cut off the drops so you get a J shape on either side in the classic "chop and flop" look. very effective (read: cheap) solution to your problem, and you get a different hand position if your commute is fairly long

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 at 13:23 Quote
I haven't used the 'Staches, but my brother runs a similar setup.
The bars are upside down inexpensive hybrid riser bars (25.4mm).
They provide a great balance.
-Stable
-Higher than drops, but lower than flats, so you are still in a semi aero position.
-Almost like a relaxed semi drop bar

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 at 15:49 Quote
That's cool, almost gives a dirty mustache feel.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 23:10 Quote
I've been running mustache bars on my commuters for about 8 years. They used to be hard to get, but now they are back in production. I recently put a set on my road bike for ridding on the rollers all winter, and haven't bothered to take them off. They offer good hand positions. Most people run a shorter stem when using them. If you have any more specific questions let me know.

Posted: Jun 27, 2009 at 15:32 Quote
Be aware that brakes for flat bars are probably not compatible with the caliper or canti brakes on your bike. These are usually designed for V-brakes and will pull too much cable.

How come you're switching out the drops?

Posted: Aug 27, 2009 at 13:56 Quote
Use any handlebars you want. Most with larger clamp sizes or different bends will require a threadless stem. Run any stem you want too, road or mtb. In case your bike is older and has a threaded fork, you can always run an adapter which shouldn't cost too much, but does add a little bit of weight to the front end.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010241
Mobile Version of Website