Wellgo MG-1 pedals... Good or Bad?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Wellgo MG-1 pedals... Good or Bad?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 1:46 Quote
Hey,

I'm looking into some new pedals, to try and save some weight. I came across the Wellgo MG-1 pedal and they're supposed to weigh like 380 grams or something for the pair. I searched, but the threads were things like where can i get them and the dream bike threads. I've seen heaps of bikes with them, but I've also seen a few pics of them completely smashed...

So, are they good, as in platform (I like quite big pedals), are they grippy and are they just random/not normal for them to pretty much explode?

And, is it worth the exta $$$ for the ti pair?

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 1:57 Quote
they're bad, your better off with some straitlines

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 2:02 Quote
morshutheshopkeep wrote:
Aren't the straitlines pretty heavy.. I've got the FUNN pedals at the moment, they are something like 500-550 grams.. I really do/did want straitlines untill i checked up the price at work... rrp of like $265 NZD

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 2:08 Quote
check out syncros; i am very impressed

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 2:24 Quote
i-ride-bike wrote:
morshutheshopkeep wrote:
Aren't the straitlines pretty heavy.. I've got the FUNN pedals at the moment, they are something like 500-550 grams.. I really do/did want straitlines untill i checked up the price at work... rrp of like $265 NZD

if you whanna save some weigth buy nuke proof proton mag-ti pedals,these are weigthing 268g per pair but very pricy:P

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 2:39 Quote
fantaman wrote:
i-ride-bike wrote:
morshutheshopkeep wrote:

if you whanna save some weigth buy nuke proof proton mag-ti pedals,these are weigthing 268g per pair but very pricy:P

yeah i would wait before you buy those and have a few people test em first

lightweight more often than not = crack and fail

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 2:40 Quote
MG-1's are they bomb, best pedals I have ever owned. Can't go wrong. Just my 2 cents

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 2:41 Quote
Keit wrote:
fantaman wrote:
i-ride-bike wrote:

dont say that stuff about them. aaron chase trusts it.

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 3:01 Quote
MG1s are awesome.

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 3:05 Quote
I run them. they are awesome

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 3:09 Quote
thecollonadekid wrote:
Keit wrote:
fantaman wrote:

dont say that stuff about them. aaron chase trusts it.

there is a lot of stuff that sponsored riders have that i would not
intense frames
tune hubs and seatpost
lightweightpedals Smile

no seriously

they are new and fancy and nice and the bleeding edge of tech

let some people with deep pockets try em first and then ask here for example and see how they hold up long term

i mean after all 150 squid will get you 3 sets of some other good alternatives which will outlive one set of pedals any way you look at it.

in favor of aaron chase: he earns his living riding bikes so the latest and greatest isn't always enough

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 3:16 Quote
i dont know true figures but the atomlab GIs are slim and strong but still have a very reasonable price about 60-80 kiwi

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 4:05 Quote
MG1 pedals:
1. I've used them for 2 years
2. Weight (380g) is around 200g less than most other flats.
3. Same low profile shape and pin placement as the legendary Easton Flatboys (which I used to use)
4. Yes, they grip well.
5. They're easy to service - each pedal has 1 sealed bearing and 1 DU bush. I haven't had to replace anything yet - just repacked with grease.
5. Magnesium isn't as strong as the top grade alloy used in some flats.
Conclusion: If you want to drop 200g weight off your bike and plant your feet on some of the grippiest flats around - buy the MG1 pedals. If however, you are constantly smashing your pedals into rocks, you might want to buy a stronger alloy setup such as Easton Flatboy (580g) or Kona Wah Wah (480g).

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 4:47 Quote
I have some and love them, they're extremly light, grip well and are cheap compared to most other pedals out there, I would highly reacommend them Smile

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009365
Mobile Version of Website