Wellgo MG-1 pedals... Good or Bad?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Wellgo MG-1 pedals... Good or Bad?
Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 5:56 Quote
i have the v sisxty ones(exact same pedals) i riped alot of pins out from grinds but you shouldnt have that problem, the bearings in them kinda suck(they need alot of oil) but over all there worth it

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 6:05 Quote
well considering that wellgo make most of the pedals out there; re branded or not

http://www.wellgo.com.tw/product.asp?category=cnc%20platform

i don't think you can really go wrong with them

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 10:05 Quote
i-ride-bike wrote:
Hey,

I'm looking into some new pedals, to try and save some weight. I came across the Wellgo MG-1 pedal and they're supposed to weigh like 380 grams or something for the pair. I searched, but the threads were things like where can i get them and the dream bike threads. I've seen heaps of bikes with them, but I've also seen a few pics of them completely smashed...

So, are they good, as in platform (I like quite big pedals), are they grippy and are they just random/not normal for them to pretty much explode?

And, is it worth the exta $$$ for the ti pair?

I had a set.

PLUS:
Very Light
Good Quality

NON-PLUS:
Wrecked after 2 days riding
Pins a bit small and not loctited
Big chunks came off after hitting a rock including 2 pins
Small surface area

I am not a flat pedal rider but do now and again. These pedals were very good I thought for the dosh but ultimately no good for me for downhill. I ended up with some Easton Flatboys which are huge and the only pair of flats I have found that are big enough for me. However as I say I have been a clipped rider all my life so my opinion on this is of little use!

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 11:48 Quote
Keit wrote:
thecollonadekid wrote:
Keit wrote:

yeah i would wait before you buy those and have a few people test em first

lightweight more often than not = crack and fail
dont say that stuff about them. aaron chase trusts it.

there is a lot of stuff that sponsored riders have that i would not
intense frames
tune hubs and seatpost
lightweightpedals Smile

no seriously

they are new and fancy and nice and the bleeding edge of tech

let some people with deep pockets try em first and then ask here for example and see how they hold up long term

i mean after all 150 squid will get you 3 sets of some other good alternatives which will outlive one set of pedals any way you look at it.

in favor of aaron chase: he earns his living riding bikes so the latest and greatest isn't always enough
i was talking about cannondale, you didnt get it.

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 11:49 Quote
rstwosix wrote:
MG1 pedals:
1. I've used them for 2 years
2. Weight (380g) is around 200g less than most other flats.
3. Same low profile shape and pin placement as the legendary Easton Flatboys (which I used to use)
4. Yes, they grip well.
5. They're easy to service - each pedal has 1 sealed bearing and 1 DU bush. I haven't had to replace anything yet - just repacked with grease.
5. Magnesium isn't as strong as the top grade alloy used in some flats.
Conclusion: If you want to drop 200g weight off your bike and plant your feet on some of the grippiest flats around - buy the MG1 pedals. If however, you are constantly smashing your pedals into rocks, you might want to buy a stronger alloy setup such as Easton Flatboy (580g) or Kona Wah Wah (480g).
or a straitline (512g with everything)

FL
Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 13:02 Quote
super cheap on ebay, that's where I've bought my last two pairs:

ebay link

mg-1's are great, light, and cheap, or you could spend 5 times as much for something heavier.

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 13:50 Quote
i-ride-bike wrote:
morshutheshopkeep wrote:
they're bad, your better off with some straitlines
Aren't the straitlines pretty heavy.. I've got the FUNN pedals at the moment, they are something like 500-550 grams.. I really do/did want straitlines untill i checked up the price at work... rrp of like $265 NZD
order them up from a shop here, straitline pedals run for around 130$ here in vancouver

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 14:01 Quote
tgreid wrote:
super cheap on ebay, that's where I've bought my last two pairs:

ebay link

mg-1's are great, light, and cheap, or you could spend 5 times as much for something heavier.
I got mine on ebay too, cheap, strong and light
photo

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 15:30 Quote
rstwosix wrote:
MG1 pedals:
1. I've used them for 2 years
2. Weight (380g) is around 200g less than most other flats.
3. Same low profile shape and pin placement as the legendary Easton Flatboys (which I used to use)
4. Yes, they grip well.
5. They're easy to service - each pedal has 1 sealed bearing and 1 DU bush. I haven't had to replace anything yet - just repacked with grease.
5. Magnesium isn't as strong as the top grade alloy used in some flats.
Conclusion: If you want to drop 200g weight off your bike and plant your feet on some of the grippiest flats around - buy the MG1 pedals. If however, you are constantly smashing your pedals into rocks, you might want to buy a stronger alloy setup such as Easton Flatboy (580g) or Kona Wah Wah (480g).
Cool thanks, good reply. I wont just throw away my FUNN pedals, I'll keep them as a spare set. I think I'll give them a go cos I'm pretty sure I can get them cheap through work.

And, for those of you that have a pair, could you measure the platform size please, I like quite big pedals and want to compare them to my current pedals.

Posted: Jun 15, 2009 at 0:34 Quote
They're 9cm long by 10cm at their widest point Smile

Posted: Jun 15, 2009 at 0:39 Quote
Excalibur-DH wrote:
They're 9cm long by 10cm at their widest point Smile
Sweet, thanks, if thats the size of the platform, they're exactly the same size as my funn pedals.

Posted: Jun 15, 2009 at 0:43 Quote
thecollonadekid wrote:
Keit wrote:
thecollonadekid wrote:
dont say that stuff about them. aaron chase trusts it.

there is a lot of stuff that sponsored riders have that i would not
intense frames
tune hubs and seatpost
lightweightpedals Smile

no seriously

they are new and fancy and nice and the bleeding edge of tech

let some people with deep pockets try em first and then ask here for example and see how they hold up long term

i mean after all 150 squid will get you 3 sets of some other good alternatives which will outlive one set of pedals any way you look at it.

in favor of aaron chase: he earns his living riding bikes so the latest and greatest isn't always enough
i was talking about cannondale, you didnt get it.

sorry was a bit distracted being at work on sunday Frown

Posted: Jun 15, 2009 at 9:10 Quote
piltz wrote:
there great
youre gonna break yours.

Posted: Apr 2, 2014 at 21:27 Quote
i got some wellgo pedals and they were terrible. the pedals come with very short pins that dont actually hold onto the pedal if you make them longer, most of mine have fallen out on normal rides. you're better off spending an extra $30 for more high quality pedals

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012641
Mobile Version of Website