Raceface cranks 'creaking'

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Raceface cranks 'creaking'
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 4:51 Quote
ive heard of raceface cranks creaking before and now mine are doing it too, is it because theres something wrong with them or what?

thanks.

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 4:58 Quote
what model
year
have you disassembled cleaned re greased and reassembled?

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 5:13 Quote
there 2005 dh evolve cranks...i have no idea how to remove them, ive tried taking the cap of and then tried removing the crank bolt but its on really tight...i am i doing it wrong?

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 5:27 Quote
http://www.raceface.com/comp/inst/FR-DH_Crankset_web.pdf

Posted: Jun 14, 2009 at 5:30 Quote
Yep, ive had exactly the same thing with my raceface evolve xc.
3 months old on my giant reign and theyre already beginning to creak, its only quiet at the moment but my last bike had that same disease and it just ruins any ride u will go on
im just gonna cut my losses and buy a sturdy bb

Posted: Jun 15, 2009 at 11:24 Quote
i'd put even money on it being your BB, not cranks, that are creaking. try pulling, regreasing, and taping the BB w/ teflon tape then reinstall. i've never heard of an actual crank creaking, its got to be the interface between the crank/BB or the BB/frame.

Posted: Jun 15, 2009 at 12:04 Quote
Could be a number of things.
Could be your pedals, bb, chain ring bolts or even your head set!

Posted: Jun 15, 2009 at 13:27 Quote
you will need a puller to take the cranks off ( i think) and if they are creaking they are usualy just loose so i dont know

Posted: Jun 15, 2009 at 13:33 Quote
You should only be worried if raceface bottom brackes/cranks don't creak! Big Grin Whip

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 at 11:28 Quote
i wish a knew how to take my bb apart but i dont have a clue where to start...ive tried taking the crank bolt off but its on really tight! and i would take it the my local bike shop if i had one...nearest one is 100miles away...Frown

Posted: Apr 3, 2011 at 16:43 Quote
I have a Race Face Deus 2010 cran and its now starting to creak. Its cause when appling pressure to the drive side crank arm. The creaking stops once the pedal reaches the bottom and pressure is eased off.

Its not the chain ring bolts, BB, headset or pedals.

I've just removed it and regreased it; and its still there.

Posted: Aug 23, 2013 at 3:32 Quote
MISTER-FUNKTASTIC wrote:
I have a Race Face Deus 2010 cran and its now starting to creak. Its cause when appling pressure to the drive side crank arm. The creaking stops once the pedal reaches the bottom and pressure is eased off.

Its not the chain ring bolts, BB, headset or pedals.

I've just removed it and regreased it; and its still there.

I have the same problem with my 2012 Turbine cranks. Took out the BB, regreased everything and under load the creaking starts again. Any ideas/?!?

Posted: Aug 23, 2013 at 6:18 Quote
Try greasing the bearings themselves. Pull their seals and goop some Phil wood or something like it in there. I love my raceface cranks, but 3 of my bikes have them on them, and all of the bearings were dry. Installed fresh grease and the issue went away.

Posted: Sep 3, 2013 at 21:14 Quote
evilazonic666 wrote:
Try greasing the bearings themselves. Pull their seals and goop some Phil wood or something like it in there. I love my raceface cranks, but 3 of my bikes have them on them, and all of the bearings were dry. Installed fresh grease and the issue went away.

Thank you for comment...are the insufficiently greased Race Face BBs really still a problem with the newer BBs (say 2010 and onwards)???

Posted: Sep 4, 2013 at 2:44 Quote
Yes. The first ones I came across were a 2011 set, and I've since installed several more raceface cranksets in the past few months, and the same thing. Intact some of the ones I installed even just 6 months ago are coming back after I greased them with dry bearings. I dont know if the seals are just junk or what. I'd say enduro bearing upgrade would solve all your woes.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018018
Mobile Version of Website