The 26" Dirt & Park Thread

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
The 26" Dirt & Park Thread
Posted: Sep 22, 2016 at 0:54 Quote
If you over tighten the headset then bearings will blow out in no time, even if you are a smooth rider. If you nip up the compression bolt abd have it at the correct tension, it's fine for years.

Also depends on how smooth you are, flat landings and casing put a lot of strain on the bottom bearing.

Posted: Sep 23, 2016 at 9:06 Quote
debonis wrote:
random question...but how much abuse does an integrated headset take on a bike? I've got a suspension fork, but my steering was binding lately...took bars off and looked at the bearings and one bearing had a loose inner race. I've got an Animal headset. It's only the lower bearing. And the person I bought it from said it was a fairly new headset/bearings...and I've not had it all that long. I put the bike together and it seems to spin freely now..might've just had too much preload on the top cap somehow.

Sometimes the issue is that the top "dust" cap is rubbing on the top edge of the frame's head tube (especially if you mix and match headset pieces), if you put a slim spacer between the dust cap and the compression ring, then it works. I had this issue on one build.

See how he's about to put the dust cap on top of a spacer?

photo

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc359/sgtbrian/headset.jpg
photo

Posted: Sep 23, 2016 at 17:36 Quote
i think it was just a case where he over tightened his head set preload...

Posted: Sep 23, 2016 at 20:50 Quote
I once had this problem for around 10 minutes, until I realized that the top wedge was bent/twisted making it impossible to adjust the preload properly. I used one from an older headset and it works fine to this day.

Try taking the wedge out and take a look. If it's damaged it has kind of a 'spring effect' on the headset. When you tighten the bars don't spin, when you loosen, you get that infamous 'wobble'

Posted: Sep 25, 2016 at 9:15 Quote
I've heard some rumors that the skin wall DTH's are weaker than the standard ones. Can anyone confirm? It's been a while since I picked DJ tires.

It's primarily for park use, anything new and better than a DTH? I'm not particularly hard on tires, and I've been loving my MK2's.

O+
Posted: Sep 25, 2016 at 9:54 Quote
The old skin walls, which are probably what you'll find online, have an added layer of the gum colored rubber inside the tire and outside on the sidewall. They are roughly 100 grams heavier and definitely more secure feeling in corners in my experience. I have had no problems with them.

The new skinwall looks to be assembley from three separate sections- gum rubber for the sidewalls and regular for the tread/center. These new versions are the same weight as the black version and have not seen much testing.

Posted: Oct 6, 2016 at 13:46 Quote
Alright, sorry about all the questions on rigid forks, but I think I'm gonna pull the trigger soon since I just got some money for my birthday. Probably gonna go with the Rebate, but real quick, is it suspension corrected?

Posted: Oct 6, 2016 at 13:59 Quote
piman wrote:
Alright, sorry about all the questions on rigid forks, but I think I'm gonna pull the trigger soon since I just got some money for my birthday. Probably gonna go with the Rebate, but real quick, is it suspension corrected?

What frame are you going to run it on?

Posted: Oct 6, 2016 at 14:00 Quote
jespinal wrote:
Is it WHAT!?!

Suspension corrected. It means does the fork have an A-C that would be similar to a 80-100mm suspension fork, and therefore fit on most DJ/Street frames without damaging the geometry, or is it cruiser style, with the tire being close to the arch.

Piman, it's suspension corrected.

Posted: Oct 6, 2016 at 14:08 Quote
The xl is. Depending what frame you have and what you're doing with it you might not need it.

Posted: Oct 6, 2016 at 14:13 Quote
sherbet wrote:
jespinal wrote:
Is it WHAT!?!

Suspension corrected. It means does the fork have an A-C that would be similar to a 80-100mm suspension fork, and therefore fit on most DJ/Street frames without damaging the geometry, or is it cruiser style, with the tire being close to the arch.

Piman, it's suspension corrected.

I thought the regular version wasn't but it says it is in their site. Is a 425mm a2c close to short travel forks?

Posted: Oct 6, 2016 at 14:16 Quote
I don't think so

Any of you euro bro-chachos is coming for the happy ride at la poma? I think I'll be kicking it there with some mate and compete at the pumptrack

Posted: Oct 6, 2016 at 15:31 Quote
jespinal wrote:
I don't think so

Any of you euro bro-chachos is coming for the happy ride at la poma? I think I'll be kicking it there with some mate and compete at the pumptrack

One day jesp. One day...

Place looks so sick!

Posted: Oct 6, 2016 at 20:50 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
jespinal wrote:
I don't think so

One day jesp. One day...

Place looks so sick!
it is man

There are just too many lines, you don't need to ride the slope circuit to have fun, which is way humoingous-er than ot looks on video, I love it

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.042057
Mobile Version of Website