The 26" Dirt & Park Thread

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
The 26" Dirt & Park Thread
Posted: Aug 18, 2017 at 3:19 Quote
seraph wrote:

I can manual for a few feet if the conditions are right.

Me too, maybe I should learn how to manual.. Kinda sad, to do tricks over decent sized jumps, but aren´t able to manual.Beer

Posted: Aug 18, 2017 at 7:54 Quote
Pull up as slowly as possible. You'll eventually rock into your balance point. That's all it is.

Posted: Aug 18, 2017 at 10:48 Quote
Will try it out, when it stops raining like the last month Beer

Posted: Aug 18, 2017 at 12:56 Quote
This machine seems pretty cool. Also looks like a decent arm pump workout.

Posted: Aug 18, 2017 at 14:52 Quote
Manuals with hydraulic brakes is really easy, actually. I learned how to manual on a Walmart dj bike over 15 years ago. Like cr said, drop into position slowly, and use the brake to ensure you don't loop out. Manuals on brakeless, BMX bikes with 12.7" chainstays is waaaaay harder than it looks. I looped out a few times today just because my shoe was loose. Little things like that will make a huge difference.

Also, a couple simple tips to help you get/keep that wheel up.

Lower your psi, it's harder to balance, yet easier to pump speed with say, 65psi than it is with 35-40.

Tune your brakes and make sure your rear wheel locks. If you don't trust your brake mentally you might not let yourself get into the deep position you need to be in to maintain a manual.

Lastly, for me, I try to gently nose-bonk the ground right before manualling. It's actually become a bad habit where I will always 'rock the bike' first. It always works though. I find the front back motion helps me lock in to that stable position . Kind of in the same way almost every bmx rider doing nose-manuals does a delayed j-hop to snap into position, I do a weird, delayed nose bonk, to give my body a sec to get in position and let the bike catch up after. For some reason it works really well for me.

Your body already knows how to balance a manual 100%,. Your brains 'self-preservation' side just doesn't want to let you stay in that position. So like with most tricks, the more you do them, the more comfortable you'll be and thus, the longer you'll hold them.

Posted: Aug 18, 2017 at 18:12 Quote
Metro-Gnome wrote:
Manuals with hydraulic brakes is really easy, actually. I learned how to manual on a Walmart dj bike over 15 years ago. Like cr said, drop into position slowly, and use the brake to ensure you don't loop out. Manuals on brakeless, BMX bikes with 12.7" chainstays is waaaaay harder than it looks. I looped out a few times today just because my shoe was loose. Little things like that will make a huge difference.

Also, a couple simple tips to help you get/keep that wheel up.

Lower your psi, it's harder to balance, yet easier to pump speed with say, 65psi than it is with 35-40.

Tune your brakes and make sure your rear wheel locks. If you don't trust your brake mentally you might not let yourself get into the deep position you need to be in to maintain a manual.

Lastly, for me, I try to gently nose-bonk the ground right before manualling. It's actually become a bad habit where I will always 'rock the bike' first. It always works though. I find the front back motion helps me lock in to that stable position . Kind of in the same way almost every bmx rider doing nose-manuals does a delayed j-hop to snap into position, I do a weird, delayed nose bonk, to give my body a sec to get in position and let the bike catch up after. For some reason it works really well for me.

Your body already knows how to balance a manual 100%,. Your brains 'self-preservation' side just doesn't want to let you stay in that position. So like with most tricks, the more you do them, the more comfortable you'll be and thus, the longer you'll hold them.

I prefer high pressure, 90-100 psi

Posted: Aug 18, 2017 at 18:23 Quote
Yeah same here. I run 90-110 on bmxs and manuals are smooth as hell. It was meant as advice for people that can't manual. If you rely on the squish or cushioning of the tires, coupled with the modulation of your rear brake, you can find a little extra wiggle room when it comes to looping out/balancing laterally.

Posted: Aug 19, 2017 at 4:18 Quote
I can't manual because every bike out there has stupid long top tubes. If i get far enough over the back to balance, my limbs are too stretched and have no give. It's not always as simple as just doing it.

Posted: Aug 19, 2017 at 7:16 Quote
Single digit psi gang were u at

Posted: Aug 19, 2017 at 10:54 Quote
jespinal wrote:

reporting in Salute on my light weight tires i can get away with about 20 most of the time. heavier ones ive gotten damn close before having to pump up lol

Posted: Aug 19, 2017 at 11:16 Quote
seraph wrote:

It'd probably be not beneficial for actually learning to manual, imo you NEED the momentum of going forward.

Posted: Aug 19, 2017 at 11:44 Quote
shoefanu wrote:
seraph wrote:

It'd probably be not beneficial for actually learning to manual, imo you NEED the momentum of going forward.

It mainly helps you find your balance point and get the motion required to get into that spot while rolling.

Posted: Aug 19, 2017 at 13:01 Quote
nwthumbs wrote:
jespinal wrote:

reporting in Salute on my light weight tires i can get away with about 20 most of the time. heavier ones ive gotten damn close before having to pump up lol
I'm a heavy rider so under my ass 50 bar behave like 20 on a regular guy XD

Posted: Aug 19, 2017 at 13:09 Quote
new 36 and profile/spank wheelset Big Grin
photo
photo

Posted: Aug 19, 2017 at 18:04 Quote
nwthumbs wrote:
jespinal wrote:

How the hell do you ride at 20 psi?

Tubeless? Like my dh bike...?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.070452
Mobile Version of Website