The 26" Dirt & Park Thread

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
The 26" Dirt & Park Thread
Posted: Apr 25, 2020 at 6:12 Quote
luke2012 wrote:
I’m opting for the octane one orbital pro. About £75. Decent reviews. Somebody may shoot me down here though who has more experience with it, I’m only basing this recommendation on reviews I’ve seen and that it was recommended to me.

I should have added, I need a cassette hub as I have MTB cranks. The new O1 and NS stuff is only available in driver as far as I can see.

Posted: Apr 25, 2020 at 6:20 Quote
Ahh, apologies!

I believe NS have a rotary cassette hub that fits the spec (135 x 10) but It’s £140.

Posted: Apr 25, 2020 at 10:52 Quote
What's the consensus on newer Pike DJs? I know when they originally came out they had problems and they seem to have got more reliable but, I've been offered a 2019 pair for £350. I could get £130-150 for my circus comps in the current market so not much of a hit (plus the steel stanchions annoy me Big Grin )

Ideally I'd like to wait on a set of orange 831s or some Z1 coils as the red/orange would look sweet

Posted: Apr 25, 2020 at 11:13 Quote
five-10 wrote:
luke2012 wrote:
I’m opting for the octane one orbital pro. About £75. Decent reviews. Somebody may shoot me down here though who has more experience with it, I’m only basing this recommendation on reviews I’ve seen and that it was recommended to me.

I should have added, I need a cassette hub as I have MTB cranks. The new O1 and NS stuff is only available in driver as far as I can see.

I might be a bit slow here, but can't you run a driver hub with MTB cranks?

Posted: Apr 25, 2020 at 11:20 Quote
SolarLonsky wrote:
five-10 wrote:
luke2012 wrote:

Yeah you totally can, but the smallest chainring I can get for MTB cranks is 26t, which is a bit big for my 10t driver. It's an NS Rotary SS so 10t is the only driver size available. The disc mount bolts have recently stripped as well, so it's time for a new hub really

Posted: Apr 25, 2020 at 11:23 Quote
five-10 wrote:
SolarLonsky wrote:
five-10 wrote:

Yeah you totally can, but the smallest chainring I can get for MTB cranks is 26t, which is a bit big for my 10t driver. It's an NS Rotary SS so 10t is the only driver size available. The disc mount bolts have recently stripped as well, so it's time for a new hub really

I’ve got a 24t on my Mtb. Make sure you check for trials ones as you can get as low as 18 or 16 I think.

Posted: Apr 25, 2020 at 11:27 Quote
Yeah, I think Raceface cranks come in 24t but I have Sram direct mount cranks and 26t was the lowest I could find. I could just buy BMX cranks and BB like but I need a hub anyway. There's loads out there but £150-200 plus spokes is pricey on a £400 bike

Posted: Apr 25, 2020 at 11:30 Quote
five-10 wrote:
Yeah, I think Raceface cranks come in 24t but I have Sram direct mount cranks and 26t was the lowest I could find. I could just buy BMX cranks and BB like but I need a hub anyway. There's loads out there but £150-200 plus spokes is pricey on a £400 bike

Yea and running BMX cranks on a MTB you usually need to worry about the spindle being long enough, which means running Deity or Profile cranks I think.

Posted: Apr 25, 2020 at 12:40 Quote
fuzzydunlop wrote:
Lads, your prayers have been answered Dave (RSFSUS on here) can now adapt tapered forks to fit a straight steerer tube https://www.instagram.com/p/B_Xxb3KHW2H/?igshid=1f23y20lopvls

This is an absolute game changer for those with older frames. I wonder how easy/hard the conversion process is.

Posted: Apr 25, 2020 at 12:53 Quote
fuzzydunlop wrote:
What's the consensus on newer Pike DJs? I know when they originally came out they had problems and they seem to have got more reliable but, I've been offered a 2019 pair for £350. I could get £130-150 for my circus comps in the current market so not much of a hit (plus the steel stanchions annoy me Big Grin )

Ideally I'd like to wait on a set of orange 831s or some Z1 coils as the red/orange would look sweet

I’m not sure on the pikes, but if you sell those comps hit me up.

Posted: Apr 25, 2020 at 13:04 Quote
fuzzydunlop wrote:

What’s the deal with Marzocchi not doing DJ forks anymore? Not sure if they stopped making them a while ago but it’s strange, the DJ series was easily one of the most popular forks out there for the longest time it’s weird not seeing them much anymore.

Posted: Apr 25, 2020 at 19:53 Quote
SolarLonsky wrote:
five-10 wrote:

Yea and running BMX cranks on a MTB you usually need to worry about the spindle being long enough, which means running Deity or Profile cranks I think.
i only run bmx cranks on my DJ's. I only really heard of this issue with an older Eastern Thunderbird I think it was. But I'm sure there are problems with this with other frames seeing as industry standards are all over the place in the dj world.

Posted: Apr 25, 2020 at 23:28 Quote
MrJwoj wrote:
fuzzydunlop wrote:
Lads, your prayers have been answered Dave (RSFSUS on here) can now adapt tapered forks to fit a straight steerer tube https://www.instagram.com/p/B_Xxb3KHW2H/?igshid=1f23y20lopvls

This is an absolute game changer for those with older frames. I wonder how easy/hard the conversion process is.

Multi quote is hard

It pretty much looks like you just remove the steerer add spacers then press in the new steerer https://www.instagram.com/p/B_aPempnqeb/ He already does stanchion/steerer swaps using his press

Luke i'll message you when I come to sell them. The forks fell through as the guy wanted bank transfer only. I've seen the Pikes in silver so once I know for sure that Morzine this year is off I'm probably going to get them, unless the orange 36s in buy/sell are still for sale. Though the sensible part of me says just get Experts so I also dont have to buy a new front wheel Big Grin also the perfomance gain will be marginal

Veronique Sandler runs Z1's at 80mm on her Alcatraz so they can be spaced down, I'm just not sure on the how its done. I guess they dipped on DJs as the market is sewn up by Manitou and Pike DJs. 831's are a 0.1% product and Z1's would be the same

Edit there's a pair of bombers on Facebook cheap if anyone's looking https://www.facebook.com/groups/836474933043333/permalink/3183849921639144/?sale_post_id=3183849921639144

Posted: Apr 26, 2020 at 10:28 Quote
fuzzydunlop wrote:
MrJwoj wrote:
[Quote="fuzzydunlop"

Luke i'll message you when I come to sell them. The forks fell through as the guy wanted bank transfer only. I've seen the Pikes in silver so once I know for sure that Morzine this year is off I'm probably going to get them, unless the orange 36s in buy/sell are still for sale. Though the sensible part of me says just get Experts so I also dont have to buy a new front wheel Big Grin also the perfomance gain will be marginal

Veronique Sandler runs Z1's at 80mm on her Alcatraz so they can be spaced down, I'm just not sure on the how its done. I guess they dipped on DJs as the market is sewn up by Manitou and Pike DJs. 831's are a 0.1% product and Z1's would be the same

Edit there's a pair of bombers on Facebook cheap if anyone's looking https://www.facebook.com/groups/836474933043333/permalink/3183849921639144/?sale_post_id=3183849921639144

Good man, they tapered? My minds telling me to just get some experts, but the idea was that this was going to be a budget ish build as the plan is to only ride for a year and save up during that period for an enduro...impossible to cheap out elsewhere, on wheel sets for example as they seem to be even rarer than forks... octane one solar wheel set at £214 seems to be cheapest option that won’t die on me soon.

Posted: Apr 26, 2020 at 23:51 Quote
fuzzydunlop wrote:

Only if pikes came with an 80mm option like the argyles did. I shot Marzocchi an email the other day asking if they sell pre-configed 80mm z1s, still waiting on a response. I know Ian Carpenter has one on his jump bike too.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.053272
Mobile Version of Website