The 26" Dirt & Park Thread

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
The 26" Dirt & Park Thread
Posted: May 8, 2020 at 11:31 Quote
Slowly but surely... forks obviously not installed just held in place by stem.

Reducer coming soon so may be able to sort then...Won’t be able to fully fit the forks with new headset until lockdown is over and I can get it to a bike shop...

Wheels to follow by end of month hopefully, then by end of June should be complete...

Posted: May 8, 2020 at 11:32 Quote
luke2012 wrote:
Slowly but surely... forks obviously not installed just held in place by stem.

Reducer coming soon so may be able to sort then...Won’t be able to fully fit the forks with new headset until lockdown is over and I can get it to a bike shop...

Wheels to follow by end of month hopefully, then by end of June should be complete...

dang! looks sweet! i know that feeling...

Posted: May 9, 2020 at 14:43 Quote
Anybody used/heard much about the Dartmoor tribe cranks? About to press buy but thought I’d come here first...any idea what minimum chainring I can use? https://dartmoor-bikes.com/hardware/cranks/tribe-forged

Posted: May 9, 2020 at 19:14 Quote
luke2012 wrote:
Anybody used/heard much about the Dartmoor tribe cranks? About to press buy but thought I’d come here first...any idea what minimum chainring I can use? https://dartmoor-bikes.com/hardware/cranks/tribe-forged

I had these at my old shop. They are super clever in that they use a Shimano/Raceface-compatible spindle, so you can get cheap and good bottom brackets at absolutely any bike shop, and they use SRAM GXP direct mount, which is the most common direct mount chainring standard. The quality in hand felt better than many other Dartmoor products. Samox makes their other cranks, that's probably the case here as well.

Thanks to fat bikes, tiny MTB chainrings exist now. I think a few companies make 24t options for SRAM GXP.

Posted: May 9, 2020 at 19:21 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Thanks to fat bikes, tiny MTB chainrings exist now. I think a few companies make 24t options for SRAM GXP.

This! I've only just recently figured this out. Always ran BMX cranks but I feel the bulkier look of the Mtb cranks suits jump bikes a lot more, they can be a fair bit lighter than BMX cranks too, my absolut came with BMX cranks but I'm thinking of maybe switching them up, but God knows what for!

Posted: May 9, 2020 at 19:24 Quote
crs-one wrote:
luke2012 wrote:

I had these at my old shop. They are super clever in that they use a Shimano/Raceface-compatible spindle, so you can get cheap and good bottom brackets at absolutely any bike shop, and they use SRAM GXP direct mount, which is the most common direct mount chainring standard. The quality in hand felt better than many other Dartmoor products. Samox makes their other cranks, that's probably the case here as well.

He nailed it, can confirm.

Posted: May 10, 2020 at 2:30 Quote
crs-one wrote:
luke2012 wrote:

Couldn’t ask for better feedback. Cheers mate, ordered.

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 12:18 Quote
Guys. Heads up anybody looking for a new 26” wheelset...Wiggle have the octane one solar wheel set on for £97 in 10t driver singlespeed, or £99 cassette.

That’s down from £214.99...

I nearly bought them last week at full price but got cranks and forks instead, glad I did...

135 x 10mm rear
110 x 20mm front.

Thank me later! Mad price since the rear hub retails for £80 on its own.

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 12:32 Quote
luke2012 wrote:
Guys. Heads up anybody looking for a new 26” wheelset...Wiggle have the octane one solar wheel set on for £97 in 10t driver singlespeed, or £99 cassette.

I nearly bought them last week at full price but got cranks and forks instead, glad I did...

135 x 10mm rear
110 x 20mm front.

Came to post the same, I've just bought a set. I can sell my old ones for £80-100 easy. Probably more if I want to sit it out. A zero sum gamble

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/octane-one-solar-pro-mtb-wheelset/

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 12:59 Quote
Was looking at the octane one wheels mentioned here, and I have some questions. Is this for both wheels or just the rear? Also, does the rear include an axle? If not, which one would I need? Seems like a really good deal for a complete dj wheelset. Thanks!

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 13:13 Quote
x57bob wrote:
Was looking at the octane one wheels mentioned here, and I have some questions. Is this for both wheels or just the rear? Also, does the rear include an axle? If not, which one would I need? Seems like a really good deal for a complete dj wheelset. Thanks!

Wheelset, just make sure you order the SS version. No axle but you just need to get any 10mm nutted axle

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 13:18 Quote
Ooh ok. I need the cassette version because I have Shimano SLX cranks and (I think) the smallest chainring that Shimano sells is 30t. The cassette version is still 10mm nutted axle right?

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 13:25 Quote
x57bob wrote:
Ooh ok. I need the cassette version because I have Shimano SLX cranks and (I think) the smallest chainring that Shimano sells is 30t. The cassette version is still 10mm nutted axle right?

according to their website it is 135x10 for the cassette version https://octane-one.com/part/solar-pro/

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 14:56 Quote
fuzzydunlop wrote:
luke2012 wrote:

135 x 10mm rear
110 x 20mm front.

Came to post the same, I've just bought a set. I can sell my old ones for £80-100 easy. Probably more if I want to sit it out. A zero sum gamble

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/octane-one-solar-pro-mtb-wheelset/

Anyone happens to know if the orbital 15 end caps work for the 20 version? In other words, can the front be converted to 15mm?
that price is insane indeed...

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 21:47 Quote
No idea, on the Octane website it says 15x100 so must be adaptable

On another can it be changed question, can the 10t driver be changed? old threads on here suggest it can but no definitive answer. Its not a massive problem but I'd rather not spend another £45 for a 24t Cinch chainring to get the gearing lower

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.039319
Mobile Version of Website