The 26" Dirt & Park Thread

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
The 26" Dirt & Park Thread
Posted: May 21, 2020 at 8:19 Quote
Cheers for the recommendations guys.

Am I right in saying opt for a mechanical disc brake as opposed to hydraulic?

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 8:31 Quote
luke2012 wrote:
Nice Mannie, keep working at it. Good to get out on bike even if there’s limited space to learn.

Guys...Tyres.

26” street/park tyre recommendations? Can’t find any in UK.

Oh and rear brake recommendations too.

Nearly there guys, bikes nearly done, just these last couple bits I’m stuck for...

Tried finding k rads but they’re like rocking horse sh...You get what I mean.

Tioga PowerBlock

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 9:17 Quote
luke2012 wrote:

Depends on what you want. It’s really personal preference.

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 9:20 Quote
I would agree with it for a DJ> Some people swear to run hydros all their life, I just think that for a DJ they are unnecessary maintenance, and you can always rip a hose.

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 9:53 Quote
traqs wrote:
I would agree with it for a DJ> Some people swear to run hydros all their life, I just think that for a DJ they are unnecessary maintenance, and you can always rip a hose.

It does feel good though, hydros

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 10:19 Quote
yeah, don't get me wrong, I have hydros on all my bikes, DJ included (only because they came with it) and of course excluding my BMX, and they are strong, and smooth, but they are just unnecessary on a DJ in my opinion.

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 10:28 Quote
[Quote="traqs"]yeah, don't get me wrong, I have hydros on all my bikes, DJ included (only because they came with it) and of course excluding my BMX, and they are strong, and smooth, but they are just unnecessary on a DJ in my opinion.[/Quote

Yeah. I agree

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 12:59 Quote
jespinal wrote:
I rode a variety of tires when I was on 26, Honestly kenda kraniums were alright, thin sidewall and relatively cheap

I really don't have any pics god knows why

Also if anyone sees a gold O1 void for sale let me know, I will pay
Looking to get the nostalgia going again aye haha? I feel you. I got in touch with my pal who I swapped my old 24” DMR to(about 8/9 years ago) recently, was offering him decent cash and a swap for my Irish, was literally throwing the most silly offers and he was refusing to let it go. Bugs the f*ck out of me, he got it years ago then rode it twice then dumped it in his storage locker and now there’s a mountain of shit piled on top of it. I ask him for it back and he comes out with a million excuses then tells me his mum wants to do it up lol. Actually couldn’t believe it.

Here’s a TLBig Grin R, don’t swap bikes. You’ll always regret it years down the line, learn from my stupidity lol!

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 13:00 Quote
Ude I just want ti hang it a cruise on it period

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 13:38 Quote
Draggon wrote:
luke2012 wrote:
Guys...Tyres.

Oh and rear brake recommendations too

Tioga PowerBlock

from park to dirt, kinda: maxxis dth, resist nomad 26 (demolition momentum), kenda kranium, schwalbe crazy bob, cult x vans, conti speed king, schwalbe billy bonkers, conti race king, kenda sb8, panaracer comet hard pack, schwalbe table top, maxxis ikon

I'm sure you'll find something, chances are you'll have to order from a german site though...

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 13:59 Quote
noisette wrote:
Draggon wrote:
luke2012 wrote:
Guys...Tyres.

Oh and rear brake recommendations too

Tioga PowerBlock

from park to dirt, kinda: maxxis dth, resist nomad 26 (demolition momentum), kenda kranium, schwalbe crazy bob, cult x vans, conti speed king, schwalbe billy bonkers, conti race king, kenda sb8, panaracer comet hard pack, schwalbe table top, maxxis ikon

I'm sure you'll find something, chances are you'll have to order from a german site though...

Cheers mate, big help that, appreciate it. Found some table tops I can get from bike-components-de for £45 delivered for 2no. Going to get 4 to be on safe side.

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 16:50 Quote
luke2012 wrote:

Just get the cheapest shimano hydraulic that comes with a one finger lever. The big advantage to hydraulic over mechanical, in the context of dj bikes, is that they're essentially immune to cable binding. You can have a mile long hose wrapped around your headtube eight times and it'll feel basically the same as a normal hose going in a straight line.

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 17:10 Quote
jespinal wrote:
I lowkey wish I never sold my Void, man I miss that bike.

Right so I’ve decided I may as well try get my hands on something newer since this Kona’s a bit of a hassle, preferably looking for a complete, what’s the best value for money that’ll be decent for riding street/park? Been looking at Rose Bruce’s as the value’s pretty bang on with the Bruce 1, I can’t really find anything that’s competitive with that price, only thing is it’s an Alu/Alloy frame, I know everybody tends to stick with Steel for street, but will it really make a huge difference? Need something that’s just under a grand, don’t want to be spending silly money either lol. Cheers in advance lads.

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 18:43 Quote
crs-one wrote:
luke2012 wrote:

Just get the cheapest shimano hydraulic that comes with a one finger lever. The big advantage to hydraulic over mechanical, in the context of dj bikes, is that they're essentially immune to cable binding. You can have a mile long hose wrapped around your headtube eight times and it'll feel basically the same as a normal hose going in a straight line.

Agreed, I got a Shimano slx for my DJ and it will literally shut your manuals down haha! I only got it cause it was half price on chain reaction, but a Shimano deore will easily have enough power for a dj, I mean, deores on my enduro bike and they're fine so for DJ will be fine!

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 18:46 Quote
Kieran-Young wrote:
jespinal wrote:
I lowkey wish I never sold my Void, man I miss that bike.

Right so I’ve decided I may as well try get my hands on something newer since this Kona’s a bit of a hassle, preferably looking for a complete, what’s the best value for money that’ll be decent for riding street/park? Been looking at Rose Bruce’s as the value’s pretty bang on with the Bruce 1, I can’t really find anything that’s competitive with that price, only thing is it’s an Alu/Alloy frame, I know everybody tends to stick with Steel for street, but will it really make a huge difference? Need something that’s just under a grand, don’t want to be spending silly money either lol. Cheers in advance lads.

Steel flex's a bit more for harsh flat landings of street, but tbh in this day and age if you're running suspension forks and not rigid I wouldn't really worry, most frames you'll get on bikes at that price will be capable enough!

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022502
Mobile Version of Website