The 26" Dirt & Park Thread

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
The 26" Dirt & Park Thread
Author Message
Posted: Jul 27, 2020 at 4:04 Quote
605endurbro wrote:
Jamestyrrell wrote:
Isn't the DTH a BMX race tyre? You'd think it'd be perfect for pump track use
It is very fast rolling, I would just like something with a bit more grip (mainly for dirt jump stuff, it seems fine on pump track stuff)

Dths are pretty legendary as far as I'm concerned.
I've found you're better off just playing around with pressures/width fr/r combinations to see what psi DTHs grip at. Besdies that, Your best option is actually gonna be something like a specialized rhythm front, DTH rear, or something similar. You want a grippy front that is slightly wider than the DTH and keep the DTH rear. Trust me, there are even some carbon wheelsets that come with a stiff front wheel and a noodle-ish rear wheel because they compliment each other well.

This is all pretty old school thinking, though. If you look around you'll see a few stock bikes from the early 2000s that come with a 2.35 fr 2.20 rear. It helps you turn with a little more conviction and prevents you from washing 0ut in berms and especially on flat sharp corners and switchbacks.

Honestly though the only reason I'm ranting about this is- my favourite tire of all time for DJ is the KHE Mac2 dirt (actually dirt front, park rear)and that tire doesn't exist anymore iirc so I can't actually recommend it. Its been gone so long I can't even recommend an old one because the rubber is probably expired by now.

Posted: Jul 27, 2020 at 5:39 Quote
hahaha, i loved my dirt macs, and this is mine just before i replaced them

Metro-Gnome wrote:
605endurbro wrote:
Jamestyrrell wrote:
Isn't the DTH a BMX race tyre? You'd think it'd be perfect for pump track use
It is very fast rolling, I would just like something with a bit more grip (mainly for dirt jump stuff, it seems fine on pump track stuff)

Dths are pretty legendary as far as I'm concerned.
I've found you're better off just playing around with pressures/width fr/r combinations to see what psi DTHs grip at. Besdies that, Your best option is actually gonna be something like a specialized rhythm front, DTH rear, or something similar. You want a grippy front that is slightly wider than the DTH and keep the DTH rear. Trust me, there are even some carbon wheelsets that come with a stiff front wheel and a noodle-ish rear wheel because they compliment each other well.

This is all pretty old school thinking, though. If you look around you'll see a few stock bikes from the early 2000s that come with a 2.35 fr 2.20 rear. It helps you turn with a little more conviction and prevents you from washing 0ut in berms and especially on flat sharp corners and switchbacks.

Honestly though the only reason I'm ranting about this is- my favourite tire of all time for DJ is the KHE Mac2 dirt (actually dirt front, park rear)and that tire doesn't exist anymore iirc so I can't actually recommend it. Its been gone so long I can't even recommend an old one because the rubber is probably expired by now.

Posted: Jul 27, 2020 at 7:15 Quote
The Specialized CC/RL in 26" are discontinued. The Tioga Powerblock 26" is discontinued. The Vittoria Booze/Tattoo 26" seem to be discontinued. The last 4 KHE tires I bought all failed at the bead almost immediately. Not sure what's next. DTH I guess. Tough times for street/DJ.

Posted: Jul 27, 2020 at 8:40 Quote
crs-one wrote:
The Specialized CC/RL in 26" are discontinued. The Tioga Powerblock 26" is discontinued. The Vittoria Booze/Tattoo 26" seem to be discontinued. The last 4 KHE tires I bought all failed at the bead almost immediately. Not sure what's next. DTH I guess. Tough times for street/DJ.

There must be a market as Schwalbe not long ago brought out the billy bonkers;

Edit wrong thread

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 2:22 Quote
Metro-Gnome wrote:
605endurbro wrote:
Jamestyrrell wrote:
Isn't the DTH a BMX race tyre? You'd think it'd be perfect for pump track use
It is very fast rolling, I would just like something with a bit more grip (mainly for dirt jump stuff, it seems fine on pump track stuff)

Dths are pretty legendary as far as I'm concerned.
I've found you're better off just playing around with pressures/width fr/r combinations to see what psi DTHs grip at. Besdies that, Your best option is actually gonna be something like a specialized rhythm front, DTH rear, or something similar. You want a grippy front that is slightly wider than the DTH and keep the DTH rear. Trust me, there are even some carbon wheelsets that come with a stiff front wheel and a noodle-ish rear wheel because they compliment each other well.

This is all pretty old school thinking, though. If you look around you'll see a few stock bikes from the early 2000s that come with a 2.35 fr 2.20 rear. It helps you turn with a little more conviction and prevents you from washing 0ut in berms and especially on flat sharp corners and switchbacks.

Honestly though the only reason I'm ranting about this is- my favourite tire of all time for DJ is the KHE Mac2 dirt (actually dirt front, park rear)and that tire doesn't exist anymore iirc so I can't actually recommend it. Its been gone so long I can't even recommend an old one because the rubber is probably expired by now.

All of the above! Well said sir, the DTH is amazing for everything a dirt jump bike will ride on. It's also quite light.

If you are desperate to try something else though, s&m now make a 26" BMX derived tire. There's the cult X vans tires too but they're more for concrete. There's also the kenda kranium but again, probably only decent for street/skatepark riding as it's fairly slick

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 2:26 Quote
Wow!! That s&m speedball tyre looks good!


Jamestyrrell wrote:
Metro-Gnome wrote:
605endurbro wrote:

It is very fast rolling, I would just like something with a bit more grip (mainly for dirt jump stuff, it seems fine on pump track stuff)

Dths are pretty legendary as far as I'm concerned.
I've found you're better off just playing around with pressures/width fr/r combinations to see what psi DTHs grip at. Besdies that, Your best option is actually gonna be something like a specialized rhythm front, DTH rear, or something similar. You want a grippy front that is slightly wider than the DTH and keep the DTH rear. Trust me, there are even some carbon wheelsets that come with a stiff front wheel and a noodle-ish rear wheel because they compliment each other well.

This is all pretty old school thinking, though. If you look around you'll see a few stock bikes from the early 2000s that come with a 2.35 fr 2.20 rear. It helps you turn with a little more conviction and prevents you from washing 0ut in berms and especially on flat sharp corners and switchbacks.

Honestly though the only reason I'm ranting about this is- my favourite tire of all time for DJ is the KHE Mac2 dirt (actually dirt front, park rear)and that tire doesn't exist anymore iirc so I can't actually recommend it. Its been gone so long I can't even recommend an old one because the rubber is probably expired by now.

All of the above! Well said sir, the DTH is amazing for everything a dirt jump bike will ride on. It's also quite light.

If you are desperate to try something else though, s&m now make a 26" BMX derived tire. There's the cult X vans tires too but they're more for concrete. There's also the kenda kranium but again, probably only decent for street/skatepark riding as it's fairly slick

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 13:17 Quote
any more reports about the billy bonkers?

i love the tabletop as a front tire for dirt/asphalt mixed riding, but no longer made

just tried a 2.35 ikon up front, and its great for dirt, but i am not sold on it for asphalt, the side knobs are small and soft and fold too easily creating an inconsistent feel into/out of corners, tried to kill me a few times...

billy bonkers comes in 2.1 with smaller knobs than the tabletop, so im concerned it might feel similar to a small block 8, a tire i absolutely hate due to its small knobs and how it "smears" when flexed

i want the tabletop back, any other tires compare?

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 14:10 Quote
I’ve literally just bought a set of table tops? They’re still being made....

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 14:13 Quote
Cannot confirm, but have been told by an NA rep they were discontinued. Any sold at this point are overstock.

That said, NA reps say that about a lot of shit they forgot to bring into country...

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 15:15 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
I’ve literally just bought a set of table tops? They’re still being made....

where?

i saw some wire bead old stock a few months ago, and tan wall were available last year, but havent seen folding bead black wall available anywhere in a long time

from schwalbes press release about the bonkers it sounded like the tabletop was discontinued, i would love to be wrong though


how about the new vee dj tires, anyone tried those out yet?

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 21:23 Quote
forty0 wrote:
bikerboywill wrote:
I’ve literally just bought a set of table tops? They’re still being made....

where?

i saw some wire bead old stock a few months ago, and tan wall were available last year, but havent seen folding bead black wall available anywhere in a long time

from schwalbes press release about the bonkers it sounded like the tabletop was discontinued, i would love to be wrong though


how about the new vee dj tires, anyone tried those out yet?

The press release does read that way, I never noticed before

Tabletops are still in stock here and there in Europe, this eBay seller seems ships to the US (for some reason it won't click through to confirm)https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schwalbe-Table-Top-Performance-Addix-Fahrrad-Reifen-57-559-26-2-25/333321422096?epid=17025146430&hash=item4d9b814510:g:V5QAAOSwGTVdcrs-#shpCntId

Or if you're really desperate I could get them sent here then ship them on

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 11:25 Quote
Yeah I got mine from Germany. But had to wait a month for them to get them in so presumed they had to wait for the next batch to be made?

And also I would go billy bonkers if they were for a modern dj bike. I just got the table tops for a spare part stp build I was doing, trying to keep it true to 2009

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 12:51 Quote
I dont think table tops have been discontinued, i was in contact with a sales rep a month or so ago when i was trying to get hold of a pair and this was the reply i got;

"I can confirm that the Billy Bonkers is in addition to the Table Top, and hasn’t replaced it. The Tan wall (Classic Skin) Table Tops have been a roaring success for us, the reason they’re hard to get hold of is cos we keep selling out of them very quickly, but we do continually have deliveries of them on a regular basis, our supply from our factory hasn’t been interrupted by the Coronavirus at all which you will be pleased to know.

My best advice… Find your local friendly Schwalbe retailer, and ask them to order you a pair in… https://www.schwalbe.com/en/mtb-reader/table-top"

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 11:25 Quote
thanks for info on tabletops all, i will keep pressing my local shop and reach out to my distributor connection to keep an eye on stock and try to snag a pair

appreciate offer to help out!

found some billys in stock might order just to try out, not much info online yet and someone has to experiment

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 11:50 Quote
dz9 wrote:
I dont think table tops have been discontinued, i was in contact with a sales rep a month or so ago when i was trying to get hold of a pair and this was the reply i got;

"I can confirm that the Billy Bonkers is in addition to the Table Top, and hasn’t replaced it. The Tan wall (Classic Skin) Table Tops have been a roaring success for us, the reason they’re hard to get hold of is cos we keep selling out of them very quickly, but we do continually have deliveries of them on a regular basis, our supply from our factory hasn’t been interrupted by the Coronavirus at all which you will be pleased to know.

My best advice… Find your local friendly Schwalbe retailer, and ask them to order you a pair in… https://www.schwalbe.com/en/mtb-reader/table-top"

Unless you're in NA. In which case get f*cked as our reps don't care.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024180
Mobile Version of Website