Don't tailgate your bikes!

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Don't tailgate your bikes!
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 at 18:29 Quote
dpeacock wrote:
I have seen this happen on a few bikes, not just the session. Usually it is because people try to use makeshift carpet tailgate pads that don't provide enough padding. My suggestion would be to buy the dakine pick up pad, as I have never seen a bike dented by a truck equipped with it. They are reasonably priced and worth their weight in diamonds if you do any significant amount of shuttling.

As a back up to the trailer pads when Blue Mountain was trailering up bikes, I took a piece of a super knobby tire (2 layers would be even better) and ziptied it to the headtube/toptube junction, with it being long enough to go about 8" along the downtube. Providing your tubing accommodates it, its cheap and easy and a good backup to tail gate pads.

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 at 18:32 Quote
anyway back on topic, yes i am all for not tailgating my bike, i cant fit as many people in my tuck as i can bikes, so 4 people in the tuck 4 bikes in the bed. next its going to be "your bike scratched my bike by laying on it"

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 at 18:36 Quote
Man I want a pickup. But an estate will do. Towbar racks are the shizz.

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 at 18:41 Quote
sdavismtb wrote:
anyway back on topic, yes i am all for not tailgating my bike, i cant fit as many people in my tuck as i can bikes, so 4 people in the tuck 4 bikes in the bed. next its going to be "your bike scratched my bike by laying on it"
We manage to regularly put 6 full sized bikes in the back of a dodge ram, just stand them up, nose in tail in, and use some tie straps or good bungee cords to keep things from moving, and since you don'rt wear your pads in the truck just strap one to a pedal and one to the frame and everything is protected.
I tailgated once and never had a problem with dents, mind you I do ride an 05 A-Line so there is enough material in the down tube and head tube to make a complete Session 88Redface

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 at 19:02 Quote
DustinOrssich wrote:
scottcarstens wrote:
Unhallowed wrote:
OR, don't buy a paper thin bike and then complain about dents. Wink
OR, spend all your time postwhoring pinkbike forums,(In an attempt to gain some useless e-admiration , probably.) making "witty" , (yet useless) smart comments to the less intelligent side of the online biking community.
Sorry, I have to call you out.

Just because my down tube dented, dosen't make me any less intelligent that i already am. It got dented on the tailgate, with a dakine pad, on my friend's truck, on a bumpy road. The fact that the driver was going very fast on the bumpy road, and the thin tubing is probably what did it. Also, i'm not complaining, i was just warning people that if they can avoid tailgating, do so.
Not neccessarily you at all.

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 at 19:06 Quote
how about just laying it down in the bed of the truck. or standing it up and using ratchet straps to keep it standing thats wut i do and it works more than fine. but if u cant stand it, lay it down. it wont do anything

O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 at 19:26 Quote
easy and cheap solution take a pool noodle the kind with the hole down the middle
1)Cut it to the size of your tail gate.
2) cut a line down the length of the noodle
3) put it on your tailgate some straps can be used to keep it in place
4) put your pick up pad over top of it
5) enjoy non dented bikes

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 at 19:27 Quote
bikertrash wrote:
easy and cheap solution take a pool noodle the kind with the hole down the middle
1)Cut it to the size of your tail gate.
2) cut a line down the length of the noodle
3) put it on your tailgate some straps can be used to keep it in place
4) put your pick up pad over top of it
5) enjoy non dented bikes

just told them that like 9 post ago. Works great, I used to use it for surfboards, but would work even better for bikes.

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 13:23 Quote
dpeacock wrote:
I have seen this happen on a few bikes, not just the session. Usually it is because people try to use makeshift carpet tailgate pads that don't provide enough padding. My suggestion would be to buy the dakine pick up pad, as I have never seen a bike dented by a truck equipped with it. They are reasonably priced and worth their weight in diamonds if you do any significant amount of shuttling.
my bike did

O+
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 13:39 Quote
pimpedaline wrote:
sdavismtb wrote:
We manage to regularly put 6 full sized bikes in the back of a dodge ram, just stand them up, nose in tail in, and use some tie straps or good bungee cords to keep things from moving, and since you don'rt wear your pads in the truck just strap one to a pedal and one to the frame and everything is protected.
I tailgated once and never had a problem with dents, mind you I do ride an 05 A-Line so there is enough material in the down tube and head tube to make a complete Session 88Redface

lol

I think the pool noodle combined with tying the bikes down would solve the problem. The dent is probably from the bike bouncing.

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 at 13:41 Quote
Well, what i do is i take my knee pad, and put 2 towels in it, and wrap it around the bike, then put another towel between the dakine padding, and the knee pad. works well, but you may want to bungee the bike down, with all those towels.

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 at 11:16 Quote
anyone using these
http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/evoc-tailgate-pad-p265759?gclid=Cj0KEQiAl7KmBRDW6s-Xi_uT9OgBEiQAZdbbSRHA8tpcAfr3SXFXlG2u8XMuSG9N9HRMz0lauJu5tSQaAqrM8P8HAQ

they look pretty good to me

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 18:18 Quote
I actually made a curtain of dildos and that on my tailgate, I find that the rubber is the right thickness for shock absorption to stop unecessary denting.

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 18:19 Quote
I actually made a curtain of dildos and put that on my tailgate, I find that the rubber is the right thickness for shock absorption to stop unecessary denting.

Posted: Mar 4, 2018 at 3:28 Quote
Pnasty666 wrote:
I actually made a curtain of dildos and that on my tailgate, I find that the rubber is the right thickness for shock absorption to stop unecessary denting.

You bumped a 3yr deadthread for that... o.....k.....

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021993
Mobile Version of Website