How do i remove pedal brakes?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
How do i remove pedal brakes?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 16, 2009 at 15:08 Quote
My little brother wants his pedal brakes off...and i don't really know how to do it.
Anyone wanna help out a little?

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 at 18:24 Quote
switch out the rear wheel. doesnt have anything to do with pedals

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 at 18:32 Quote
You'll have to open up the hub and take out the brake shoes. It's an old BMXer trick to make a ghetto free coaster(hub that doesn't engage when going fakie).

Here's a video on how to do it.

Views: 46,256    Faves: 76    Comments: 29

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 at 18:38 Quote
daaneel wrote:
switch out the rear wheel. doesn't have anything to do with pedals
Its an easy fix.....Dont listen to this dude just open up the hub and take the brake shoes out(They will fall out most of the time when you open up the hub.....I did it to my old beach cruiser and it works fine.

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 at 18:41 Quote
StevoFS wrote:
daaneel wrote:
Its an easy fix.....Dont listen to this dude just open up the hub and take the brake shoes out(They will fall out most of the time when you open up the hub.....I did it to my old beach cruiser and it works fine.

Guess i just learned something too tup

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 at 18:49 Quote
daaneel wrote:
StevoFS wrote:
daaneel wrote:

Guess i just learned something too tup
I didn't believe it at first either but it worked lol.

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 at 12:34 Quote
i personaly wouldnt recommend "just taking out" the brake pads. it is for sure the cheapest way but when you take the pads out the free wheel still needs to turn in like 90 degrees before it will engage. so what your left with is a quarter pedal stroke of slack in you chain every time you pedal backwards. so if you pedal back while your standing up your foot is all the way at the ground before your chain tightens up. if your brother is young it could lead to a few hard digger's. you can get a cheap rear wheel for under $40.00.
peace

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 at 14:12 Quote
Watch the video I posted. It's possible to adjust how much slack the hub has.

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 at 19:01 Quote
lettusdude wrote:
Watch the video I posted. It's possible to adjust how much slack the hub has.
i don't get it, why wouldnt all hubs be free coasters? is there somthing bad about having a free coaster that i'm missing?

Posted: Jun 18, 2009 at 10:11 Quote
Some people just prefer to have a cassette. There's less maintenance involved. Coasters some times have to be re-greased and such more frequently than a regular hub. I also really dislike riding with slack in a free coaster. I like instant engagement. With a coaster you need at least some slack or else the hub would always engage while going fakie.

It really just boils down to preference. Free coaster hubs aren't for everyone.

Posted: Jun 18, 2009 at 12:15 Quote
lettusdude wrote:
Some people just prefer to have a cassette. There's less maintenance involved. Coasters some times have to be re-greased and such more frequently than a regular hub. I also really dislike riding with slack in a free coaster. I like instant engagement. With a coaster you need at least some slack or else the hub would always engage while going fakie.

It really just boils down to preference. Free coaster hubs aren't for everyone.
I hate them...I like my knees....and I like instant engagment so I can keep power to the back wheel when doing fufanus and other shit

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011951
Mobile Version of Website