New fork the steertube is to short what should i do?

PB Forum :: Tutorials
New fork the steertube is to short what should i do?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 17, 2009 at 15:03 Quote
i have one idea but i would like some input plz, my idea is that i could run a rod throuth the steertube and the stem. then bolt it on each side so it would not come off what do you think i should do?

Posted: Jun 18, 2009 at 3:18 Quote
what fork is it? maybe you can order a new steerer for it?

Posted: Jun 20, 2009 at 14:01 Quote
its a pike 426 also i think i have an idea for it that my dad is going to do

Posted: Oct 7, 2009 at 17:39 Quote
For a few dollars you can order a new steerer from your LBS or just from Rockshox

Posted: Oct 22, 2009 at 13:21 Quote
Don't even think of trying to jimmy a setup. If its too short for a thin stem, you are screwed, and any attempt to fix it has a good chance of messing you up bigtime. Sell it and buy another one.

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 13:03 Quote
just get a for extender hammer it in and get this thing, its basicly a realy long bolt that screws into a thing that you put on the bottom of your forks , that holds everything realy tight, i think they sell them on CRC

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 at 18:41 Quote
You can't just "get a new steerer" as the steerer tube is a cryofit system that must be pressed into the crown. You would need a new steerer/crown/stanchion assembly.

Please don't ghetto-rig a steerer though, you will probably not have good luck with it and failure could be catostrophic...this is why you measure what steerer length is needed BEFORE buying a fork. Could you get a shorter stack height stem to compensate?

Posted: Feb 22, 2010 at 2:47 Quote
This happened to me, lucky in Australia we have a guy called jon who owns grip sport and does steerer tube extensions for heaps cheap. http://www.gripsport.com.au/
There is his website if you shoot him a email he will probably do it for you.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010848
Mobile Version of Website