Difference between regular bb and Euro BB?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Difference between regular bb and Euro BB?
Posted: Nov 18, 2007 at 22:10 Quote
i can't speak for the author of this thread, but i'm definitely no longer confused. thanks guys!

Posted: May 19, 2009 at 9:48 Quote
I get it ... sort of..
But will these BB's fit any frame, BMX or MTB?
So if say, you had a USA BB, then you wanted a Euro BB, you could change it, without having to worry about the shape/size of your frame?

Posted: May 19, 2009 at 13:57 Quote
lurv-the-ride wrote:
I get it ... sort of..
But will these BB's fit any frame, BMX or MTB?
So if say, you had a USA BB, then you wanted a Euro BB, you could change it, without having to worry about the shape/size of your frame?

If you have a usa/bmx bb shell you use usa/bmx bb. The only other thig you can do is use wondercups/reducers to make it into a euro/mtb bb.

Posted: May 19, 2009 at 16:26 Quote
the BB you use will be dependent upon the frame you're using. their are reducers to fit a euro BB into an american BB, but generally you're best off using whatever style BB your frame was designed around.

Posted: May 20, 2009 at 2:36 Quote
OK, cheers. Helped alot Beer

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 17:44 Quote
so can you put normal crank arms on a euro BB?

i had Truvativ Howitzer splined outboard cartridge bearing BB and can i put the cranks on a euro?

Posted: Sep 6, 2009 at 14:03 Quote
discodannyd wrote:
so can you put normal crank arms on a euro BB?

i had Truvativ Howitzer splined outboard cartridge bearing BB and can i put the cranks on a euro?

I guess so, I think that the only difference between them is where they go through the frame. Cranks arms should be universal.
But I might be wrong Razz

Posted: Sep 6, 2009 at 14:23 Quote
Not trying to thread jack but does anyone know what bb a 2009 or 2010 p1 has and if it has iscg mounts?

Posted: Sep 8, 2009 at 12:08 Quote
CMDS wrote:
Not trying to thread jack but does anyone know what bb a 2009 or 2010 p1 has and if it has iscg mounts?

Tried looking at the P1 specs?

Posted: Sep 8, 2009 at 14:18 Quote
Yeah I did but it didn't say whether it had mounts or not. I have seen a few pics of the p1 bb and it looked like it had them but I still was not sure.

Posted: Oct 22, 2009 at 9:57 Quote
Ok, so is "English threading" the same as "euro" threading?
I'm building up a freeride rig using a transtion bottlerocket as my platform, the bottle rocket is "euro" threaded,
I'm looking at a couple BBs that are great for dh and fr, but they are english threading. Will they work on my euro threaded bike?

Posted: Oct 23, 2009 at 5:08 Quote
yes "english" is same as British (ISO) - what many call "Euro"

1.370" X 24 tpi, 68mm standard or 73mm oversize width, 83mm dh oversize width

Italian thread pattern is

36 mm X 24 tpi, 70mm standard width

French thread pattern is

35 mm X 1mm (25.4 tpi), 68mm standard width

the old "USA" bmx b/b (actually known as O.P.C Ashtabula) is

68mm wide, 51.3mm internal diameter

just to throw in my bmx experiences with the new "press fit" standards

I've had several bmx frames with both "Mid" size and "Spanish" and have found no practical difference in bearing durability between the 2 (both very good)

Posted: Oct 23, 2009 at 12:22 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
yes "english" is same as British (ISO) - what many call "Euro"

1.370" X 24 tpi, 68mm standard or 73mm oversize width, 83mm dh oversize width

Italian thread pattern is

36 mm X 24 tpi, 70mm standard width

French thread pattern is

35 mm X 1mm (25.4 tpi), 68mm standard width

the old "USA" bmx b/b (actually known as O.P.C Ashtabula) is

68mm wide, 51.3mm internal diameter

just to throw in my bmx experiences with the new "press fit" standards

I've had several bmx frames with both "Mid" size and "Spanish" and have found no practical difference in bearing durability between the 2 (both very good)
Thanks that helps quite a bit!

Posted: Nov 29, 2009 at 14:15 Quote
so will a euro bb fit on any frame ?

Posted: Dec 1, 2009 at 12:52 Quote
euro b/b will only fit a frame with a euro b/b shell

most external euro b/b cups will fit either 68mm or 73mm shell widths, with 83mm being a specific bottom bracket (often used on DH bikes with 150mm x 12mm rear dropouts)

older, internal euro b/b units were made specifically for 68mm, or 73mm and many axle widths (i.e. 118mm, 122mm) to suit different setups and crank types

some of the older internal euro b/bs could fit either 68mm or 73mm using an external spacer, although crank axle width was still specific to your setup

a USA BMX b/b shell can take a euro b/b using euro adapters like DMR's "Wondercups" which are pressed and bolted into the USA shell, and have an internal threaded diameter compatible with 68mm/73mm euro bottom brackets

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.058344
Mobile Version of Website