DH/4X - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
DH/4X - The Weight Game
Posted: Jun 30, 2013 at 10:53 Quote
willy94 wrote:
Looks like spending a little more is worth it. Raceface it is.

I cant agree more, it was £120 for knees and elbows for me, when the non d3o ones would have been 60, but im glad I spent the extra, its been so worth it. I find they absorb shocks better than my hard shell ones, the d30 stuff locking up absorbs some energy

Posted: Jun 30, 2013 at 11:20 Quote
Clap put me on a set of the D30 knee pads last season and so far I've gone down pretty hard and my knees have been 100% safe! Plus you can wear them all day doing laps in the bikepark and you don't even notice them.

True story.

Posted: Jun 30, 2013 at 11:38 Quote
my poc knee pads make love to my knees while riding, best knee pads ever a+

Posted: Jun 30, 2013 at 11:59 Quote
661 kyle straits. Need never wear any others for me. Not a fan of d30 after seeing someone crash lightly an it not working.

Posted: Jun 30, 2013 at 12:04 Quote
Just a sidenote about helmets - they all meet the same standards. Doesn't matter if it was $60 or $600. It will protect your head the same... At least for DOT or DH/BMX style full faces.

Half lids come in a lot of different shapes and offer differen coverage areas.

Posted: Jun 30, 2013 at 12:05 Quote
Circes wrote:
Just a sidenote about helmets - they all meet the same standards. Doesn't matter if it was $60 or $600. It will protect your head the same... At least for DOT or DH/BMX style full faces.

Half lids come in a lot of different shapes and offer differen coverage areas.

Much more succinct way of putting it, instead of my rambling!

Posted: Jun 30, 2013 at 12:31 Quote
photo
Tried lots and these win it for me and my skinny ass knobbly's,no need for straps they just stay there, articulated and with shaped knee cup,sweet pads.

Posted: Jun 30, 2013 at 13:31 Quote
willy94 wrote:
Looks like spending a little more is worth it. Raceface it is.

The troy lee shock doctor elbow and knee pads are right up there for comfort. Before I only wore knee pads on dh rides but now since they don't slip and are so comfortable unlike my old pads, I wear them whenever I'm out on all mountain rides or whatever else I'm doing on my bike.

Posted: Jun 30, 2013 at 13:34 Quote
Circes wrote:
Doesn't matter if it was $60 or $600. It will protect your head the same... At least for DOT or DH/BMX style full faces.

Facepalm
That is just not true.

Although all helmets must conform to and pass the stringent safety checks to be sold and used for their intended purposes, many, usually more expensive designs will perform much better than what is just required to get a certified safety sticker. Many helmets about £200 and above are specifically designed to exceed the required protection as the designers deem the requirements to simply be not good enough. You can make your own decisions about helmet prices and the bet your chances, but in the end of the day, why not get the best protection possible for your head? Your brain is priceless, and cannot be fixed.

Posted: Jun 30, 2013 at 13:35 Quote
Raggi-Boy wrote:
Circes wrote:
Doesn't matter if it was $60 or $600. It will protect your head the same... At least for DOT or DH/BMX style full faces.

Facepalm
That is just not true.

Although all helmets must conform to and pass the stringent safety checks to be sold and used for their intended purposes, many, usually more expensive designs will perform much better than what is just required to get a certified safety sticker. Many helmets about £200 and above are specifically designed to exceed the required protection as the designers deem the requirements to simply be not good enough. You can make your own decisions about helmet prices and the bet your chances, but in the end of the day, why not get the best protection possible for your head? Your brain is priceless, and cannot be fixed.

Bingo

Posted: Jun 30, 2013 at 15:57 Quote
Was just about to say the same thing.

Its like the old saying goes... if you have a 10$ head, buy a 10$ helmet.

Posted: Jun 30, 2013 at 16:39 Quote
ktmmxrider wrote:
Was just about to say the same thing.

Its like the old saying goes... if you have a 10$ head, buy a 10$ helmet.

Now, does a head lose value each time you crash it into something?

Posted: Jun 30, 2013 at 17:11 Quote
I'm on mobile but consumer safety did an independent lab test on several motorcycle helmets. Do you know which performed the best? A $70 Blitz helmet from a big box moto chain.

Have you done any reading whatsoever on the subject?

Posted: Jun 30, 2013 at 17:15 Quote
What your paying for is weight, ventilation, quality, and design.

The most important thing is that the helmet fits. More expensive helmets might last longer but they dont offer more protection

Posted: Jun 30, 2013 at 17:22 Quote
Triple post

http://www.bhsi.org/testbycost.htm

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.033030
Mobile Version of Website