DH/4X - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
DH/4X - The Weight Game
Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 11:01 Quote
Raggi-Boy wrote:
They did not test full face helmets. I will agree that the difference between a cheap and expensive regular helmet is negligible, they are not designed to take very big hits. However we are talking about full face dh lids, where they need to perform and protect far past these really not rigorous, or extensive enough tests. And for that motorcycle helmet test, I'm pretty sure that was decades ago, and helmet technology and safety has traveled leaps and bounds since then. The thing is nowadays the cheap brands will still be using similar tech and design in their helmets that they used back then, and the premium brands will be constantly developing and improving the protection of their product.

So wrong. But I've already reiterated my point TWICE. $300 helmets for $10 heads.

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 11:10 Quote
I tell customers to spend as much money as you can on your helmet while still being able to afford a neck brace. I would so much rather see someone in a cheap $100 helmet and a leatt than a full$400+ carbon lid.

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 11:12 Quote
Everyone seems to be missing the point... ALL helmets protect equally well in a lab under controlled circumstances. A helmet locked in a vice with a wedge shaped weight of 400g being dropped from 3m, etc, etc, etc...

The difference comes into play with how well the helmet stays in place on your head under REAL WORLD conditions. This is the difference between a cheap helmet and a good helmet. A shitty helmet does not have the padding and adjustments to fit a variety of heads... if your head happens to perfectly fit that helmet, great for you. If not, tough shit. A nice helmet has a much more extensive fit system, that fit systems ensures that the helmet will correctly fit your head.

Now... as far as the difference between a good helmet and a $300-400 dollar helmet goes. There isn't any. A D3 isn't going to do anything for you that a $100 Remedy isn't, except for have the TLD pajama crew patting you on the back. Both protect better than a $40 Walmart special not because either helmet is stronger, but because there's a far better chance of it correctly fitting the wearer and staying in the correct position during a crash.

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 11:15 Quote
The voice of forceful reason. Thank God.

Edit: SP updated. Damn you mobile.

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 11:35 Quote
There's also features like the eject system which are likely to be a fair bit easier to fit on higher end helmets (unless I'm believing marketing hype?), the more money you put into it will hopefully translate into more features that make it a better product and also more safe.

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 11:41 Quote
the eject system is simply so the helmet can be removed without moving the neck incase of neck injuries.

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 11:46 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
I tell customers to spend as much money as you can on your helmet while still being able to afford a neck brace. I would so much rather see someone in a cheap $100 helmet and a leatt than a full$400+ carbon lid.
i'm a big proponent of neck braces since friday.

Definitely something i wont ride DH without.

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 12:23 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Everyone seems to be missing the point... ALL helmets protect equally well in a lab under controlled circumstances. A helmet locked in a vice with a wedge shaped weight of 400g being dropped from 3m, etc, etc, etc...

The difference comes into play with how well the helmet stays in place on your head under REAL WORLD conditions. This is the difference between a cheap helmet and a good helmet. A shitty helmet does not have the padding and adjustments to fit a variety of heads... if your head happens to perfectly fit that helmet, great for you. If not, tough shit. A nice helmet has a much more extensive fit system, that fit systems ensures that the helmet will correctly fit your head.

Now... as far as the difference between a good helmet and a $300-400 dollar helmet goes. There isn't any. A D3 isn't going to do anything for you that a $100 Remedy isn't, except for have the TLD pajama crew patting you on the back. Both protect better than a $40 Walmart special not because either helmet is stronger, but because there's a far better chance of it correctly fitting the wearer and staying in the correct position during a crash.

Do you think things like dual density EPS liners, aramid bead layers, or POC's MIPS system work at all?

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 12:23 Quote
nwthumbs wrote:
the eject system is simply so the helmet can be removed without moving the neck incase of neck injuries.
right... thus making it a safer way to remove the helmet

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 12:44 Quote
Biscuitto wrote:
nwthumbs wrote:

I think the DH world would hardly use the eject system because when the medics can remove helmet safely with the removable cheek pads that is found on the D3,Full 9 and Spesh avoiding neck injuries & most riders don't even use the eject system in the Full 9 & Spesh helmets

In MX the eject system is more commonly used

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 12:50 Quote
SWenduro wrote:
Do you think things like dual density EPS liners, aramid bead layers, or POC's MIPS system work at all?
Yes... I do. And the physics back up the idea behind those types of thing. The problem comes in testing to prove they work. There's so many variables that go into an actual crash that the tests which are used for certification are pretty much meaningless for 80% of the forces your head deals with on a crash. We test helmets pretty much strictly for a single impact from a particularly shaped set of objects from varying heights and velocities... so we know all helmets protect equally well in the event that you're taking a nap and have a 400 gram wedge shaped block of lead fall from a tree into the back of your helmet. Since the tests don't take into consideration anything but how much energy made it through the helmet to the sensor on the other side for that impact... it doesn't consider that in a crash you're likely to be rag-dolled a bit and have three or four lesser impacts as well or that there will be rotational impact energy trying to rotate the liner itself, etc... all those other "marketing" techs that go into high-end helmets won't show up on the standard cert tests but I'm willing to pay extra for the possibility of extra protection based on the soundness of the science behind the ideas.

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 13:26 Quote
dingus wrote:
It doesn't say anything about that in the manual.

The fox OEM manuals are horrid. Remember your baseline pressure, drop to 50PSI or less, adjust, pump it up again. Obviously you won't be able to turn it when there is 200PSI pushing against it.

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 13:35 Quote
You could go sub 50psi if you needed to. Just be sure not to push down on the saddle or "activate the suspension" shall we say.

Posted: Jul 1, 2013 at 13:39 Quote
fantaman wrote:
Biscuitto wrote:
nwthumbs wrote:

I think the DH world would hardly use the eject system because when the medics can remove helmet safely with the removable cheek pads that is found on the D3,Full 9 and Spesh avoiding neck injuries & most riders don't even use the eject system in the Full 9 & Spesh helmets

In MX the eject system is more commonly used
prob is as yet most medical response teams track side and certainly at your local trail centre,are not equipped with the equipment to inflate bladder.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.031660
Mobile Version of Website